Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
Yeah, for all the problems I had in the first week or two of installing it, have to say it's been running flawlessly for a while now. It's even snappy and stable when alt-tabbing in and out, which I always like to see.

The problems I'm having are with the game mechanics, and this is almost certainly a PEBCAK issue. Mostly I'm finding deadeye and quick draw to be really finnicky and inconsistent.

I know you are in a kind of deadeye mode with quickdraw, but I don't know what I'm doing with it. Sometimes I find I can aim or paint a target, other times I can't.

Also in deadeye... for instance, having been sent to kill some wolves, I thought okay, no problem. They see me and close in. I pop deadye and try to mark the leaders... nothing. I can't paint a target on them at all. So I start free-aiming in a bit of a panic and then I'm kicked from deadeye back to normal mode and I'm mauled to death. I still had core and a bit of ring in my deadye metre, so I don't know why that happened.

Next time I tried, the same thing happened. I went into deadeye, but couldn't mark them. The "mark" key did nothing. I managed to shoot two wolves anyway in free aim deadeye, and then came out of deadeye and back into it and for some reason I could paint marks on the final two wolves perfectly fine at that point. They were a bit further away, which makes me wonder if it's a range issue, but I can't find any information on this.

A little later I was ambushed, and managed to paint marks on the heads of two guys mounted on horseback, fired and turned my attention to their buddies on foot. Only for one of the mounted guys to shoot me down from behind. Can enemies survive a deadeye mark to the head, or did something go wrong here too?

That's before I get into all the times I've tried to defuse situations or surrender and find myself shooting whoever I'm talking to, or wrapping my hands around their throat.

Loving the game, but geeez, I'm finding some of the controls and mechanics pretty frustrating!

Caporegime
Worth a go yet for £44?

Can be had for cheaper than that can't it? Or are you after Steam only version?

Yeah it's worth it, even at that price, providing you go in with the mindset that the game is a change of pace from most games these days. It's to be savoured, played slowly, explored, get into the setting etc. If you go in wanting all out action then you probably won't enjoy it.

Edit: £29.99 - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/red...MIh4bhpb3C5gIVAbDtCh3I_QU3EAQYAiABEgJPfvD_BwE

100% worth it at that price.

Man of Honour
My own little bar and band (who currently play xmas tunes :D )

bar.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, for all the problems I had in the first week or two of installing it, have to say it's been running flawlessly for a while now. It's even snappy and stable when alt-tabbing in and out, which I always like to see.

The problems I'm having are with the game mechanics, and this is almost certainly a PEBCAK issue. Mostly I'm finding deadeye and quick draw to be really finnicky and inconsistent.

I know you are in a kind of deadeye mode with quickdraw, but I don't know what I'm doing with it. Sometimes I find I can aim or paint a target, other times I can't.

Also in deadeye... for instance, having been sent to kill some wolves, I thought okay, no problem. They see me and close in. I pop deadye and try to mark the leaders... nothing. I can't paint a target on them at all. So I start free-aiming in a bit of a panic and then I'm kicked from deadeye back to normal mode and I'm mauled to death. I still had core and a bit of ring in my deadye metre, so I don't know why that happened.

Next time I tried, the same thing happened. I went into deadeye, but couldn't mark them. The "mark" key did nothing. I managed to shoot two wolves anyway in free aim deadeye, and then came out of deadeye and back into it and for some reason I could paint marks on the final two wolves perfectly fine at that point. They were a bit further away, which makes me wonder if it's a range issue, but I can't find any information on this.

A little later I was ambushed, and managed to paint marks on the heads of two guys mounted on horseback, fired and turned my attention to their buddies on foot. Only for one of the mounted guys to shoot me down from behind. Can enemies survive a deadeye mark to the head, or did something go wrong here too?

That's before I get into all the times I've tried to defuse situations or surrender and find myself shooting whoever I'm talking to, or wrapping my hands around their throat.

Loving the game, but geeez, I'm finding some of the controls and mechanics pretty frustrating!

Are you referring the two wolves in the snow at the start? I too recall having strange aiming issues and dead eye issues. Have now gone away as I’ve ventured further in.

Soldato
Are you referring the two wolves in the snow at the start? I too recall having strange aiming issues and dead eye issues. Have now gone away as I’ve ventured further in.

No, I don't think I used deadeye for those wolves tbh. This was a random encounter situation. I'm in chapter three, so have deadeye developed a bit more too.

It did occur to me not long after I posted that the equiped weapon might make a difference. I had the sawn off shotgun equipped I think. Can you maybe not mark targets if you don't have much ammo before needing to reload?

Still a bit miffed about that guy surviving a deadeye headshot too, mind... :(

Soldato
They can survive if you don't hit a vital spot sometimes. Headshots hit hats (which get knocked off) rather than the face or there is a little bit of travel involved so its a glancing blow.

Back
Top Bottom