Which books made you?

Soldato
Which books made you who you are and helped form your ideas and ideals?

Not so much which books you enjoyed the most.

My reasoning behind the thread was a struggle to understand where some people were coming from and how they arrived at their way of thinking.

I know books aren't the be-all-and-end-all, but they represent an accessible slice of the influences on a person.

For me, especially in my formative years, I read mainly a lot of trash/reading for fun, and, in bulk, it will have definitely have made an impression - Enid Blyton, Terry Pratchett, Alan Garner, Rosemary Sutcliffe, Jack Higgins, Douglas Adams, John Grisham, Len Deighton, Robert Ludlum, Lee Child, Raymond Chandler, John Wyndham, Asimov, Banks, - all must have played a part.

In terms of the individual books that most made me think, and possibly most nudged my thinking, I'd say these might make the top list:-
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Catcher in the Rye
  • Of Mice and Men
  • One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
  • Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Those all look a bit worthy on review. So I tried to think about books that may have influenced me negatively.

It feels like a difficult thought exercise. I guess 2 that spring to mind are I, Lucifer, and Good Omens. The Hitman Diaries is another one in a similar vein. Not really negative though, - more subversive, yet still highly moral.

It begs another question - Are there any truly poisonous books? Or books that you feel caused harm?

Soldato
Brer rabbit, Danny Champion of the world, Georges marvelous medicine.

Oh and death of a salesman, did that in school.

Also Masters of doom and Accidental Empires: How the Boys of Silicon Valley Make Their Millions, Battle Foreign Competition, and Still Can't Get a Date.

Not very classy I know.

Soldato
I remember Bridge to Terabithia having an impact on me as a kid. I mostly read Stephen King novels and disc world series back then though. Nothing particularly high brow.

Man of Honour
There was 1-2 books along the lines of Tom's Midnight Garden (though I wasn't a big fan of that one) with time travel/parallel existence scenarios that had a big impact on and shaped my thinking/perspective of the world. Annoyingly I can't remember the title of the one that had the biggest impact on me.

Also I find the stuff by Carl Sagan well worth reading - not so much for its own value as such - I don't agree with everything he says although in some respects that isn't the purpose of a lot of his work - but the way that it can open your mind to being inquisitive about stuff like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
First book to really make me think was Lord of the Flies, which we were covering in English Lit.

My father was a bit of a UFO nut and so I ended up reading Erich von Däniken's Chariots of the Gods - I didn't really fall for his BS but it did make me think a great deal, specially about religion, which at that time we were taught was fact and as a result I ended up becoming an atheist, which I still am, some 50 years later.

Back
Top Bottom