Which books made you?

Associate
All of Roald Dahl, Garfield, Tintin and Choose Your Own Adventure.

There was also a set of adventure books about a group of young lads (a bit like Goonies), based in the States. They had their own shed IIRC and one of them was good with electronics, used to build HAM radios and stuff. They would go on adventures. A la Famous Five.

I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, but as a child I was glued to them

*Edit*

The Three Investigators!

Last edited:
Soldato
In all seriousness,

101 Dalmatians is well up on the list.

The Book, not the Walt Disney version.

The story it tells is actually quite complex and the effect it had on me as a young child was quite complex too....

Soldato
Futuretrack 5 by Robert Westall. My mother picked it up in a church jumble sale around 1988. Blew my 10 year old mind wide open. Still re read it to this day. Dystopian near future vision of Britain and class war, tech and control.

Bless my mother she had no idea. I really must mention it to her. I think she liked the cover and knew I was an avid reader.

Soldato
OP
Brer rabbit, Danny Champion of the world, Georges marvelous medicine.

Oh and death of a salesman, did that in school.

Also Masters of doom and Accidental Empires: How the Boys of Silicon Valley Make Their Millions, Battle Foreign Competition, and Still Can't Get a Date.

Not very classy I know.
Good point about Roald Dahl- a good, subversive writer I owe a lot to.

Commissario
There is only one book, the bible

Very good.

It's surely got to be the book that most made most of us - whether we read it or not.
On Friday April 10, 2009 archeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be the missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon-dated in Bonne. If genuine, it is the missing first page of the Bible, however the page has been universally condemned by church leaders.

It reads as follows:

"To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."

Soldato
OP
Futuretrack 5 by Robert Westall. My mother picked it up in a church jumble sale around 1988. Blew my 10 year old mind wide open. Still re read it to this day. Dystopian near future vision of Britain and class war, tech and control.

Bless my mother she had no idea. I really must mention it to her. I think she liked the cover and knew I was an avid reader.
OMG. I'd completely forgotten about Robert Westall. Thank you so much for mentioning him.

The Machine Gunners was a massive book for me, and the Haunting of Chas McGill was one of the books that got me into short stories!

Soldato
OP
There was 1-2 books along the lines of Tom's Midnight Garden (though I wasn't a big fan of that one) with time travel/parallel existence scenarios that had a big impact on and shaped my thinking/perspective of the world. Annoyingly I can't remember the title of the one that had the biggest impact on me.
Can you remember anything else about it? I'm intrigued.

Man of Honour
Can you remember anything else about it? I'm intrigued.

I can remember lots of odd fragments but might have some of the details wrong or mixed up (I read several similar books around that time) - overall some similarities to Tom's Midnight Garden. Some kid ends up (in the present) at a big old mansion can't remember exactly why now and it is basically the twilight years of his family line with just 2-3 elderly relatives and a few acquaintances and it is all a bit run down and some kind of mystery going on. The first few chapters covered the present time and a bit of background on the generation of his elderly relatives and how it all used to be bustling with social events, etc. then the middle of the book he finds some way of travelling to and from the time of his ancestors the generation before the ones that are still alive and upto about the time they were young which slowly reveals much more details eventually unlocking what is going on in the present at which point the book returns to unravelling the mystery in the present which goes into a future borderline fantasy/magic scenario with a touch of horror IIRC - at the time it seemed really well written to me.

Writing that post made me wonder if it was somewhat an inspiration for the TV show DARK.

Soldato
All of Roald Dahl, Garfield, Tintin and Choose Your Own Adventure.

There was also a set of adventure books about a group of young lads (a bit like Goonies), based in the States. They had their own shed IIRC and one of them was good with electronics, used to build HAM radios and stuff. They would go on adventures. A la Famous Five.

I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, but as a child I was glued to them

*Edit*

The Three Investigators!

Were those the ones which were either written by, or some sort of homage to, Alfred Hitchcock? I remember reading and enjoying them.

As something which are a very light, enjoyable read, Terry Pratchett's books always have a very strong moral sense and often make you think about the motivations of the characters.

Back
Top Bottom