Using SATA connectors for 12v Supply. Need Advice!

Soldato
Hi chaps!
I need a 12v supply inside my computer that will provide power when the machine is on. I've ruled out using a fan or RGB header, so SATA seems the most sensible option. The current rating for the 12v is adequate. My belief is pins 10-12 would act as common, and pins 13-15 would be 12v.

I'm having real trouble finding the right connector and the right crimps for the purpose. I have all the tools and ancillaries needed. My budget is incredibly tight, and I'd only need two at the most for now. I suppose I could use a couple of SATA connectors pre-wired, say to a 12v LED, but I'd prefer to make them myself, especially as it will hopefully be cheaper.

I know there's some avid cable braiders, modders and overall very clever chaps here. So I'm hoping you can help. Specification part numbers would be incredibly handy, could someone point me in the direction of the right crimps and connectors?

I've modded a PCI-E blank to mount a number of round 4-pin Female connectors I sourced from RS. The connectors are then wired to the motherboard fan headers via sleeved 4-core cables that terminate with PWM fan connectors.

I have a 3x140mm front intake, and I'll be adding 2x 120mm as exhaust. Each bank is soldered together to form a single 4-core cable that terminates in a male connector, that plugs into female sockets mounted on the PCI-E bracket. Each bank of fans feeds a single tach signal back to the header.

It's a neat little solution I'm proud of, but having to open the cabinet every time to turn the machine on seems rather inelegant. So I want to mount an anti-vandal switch on the front of cabinet, illuminated with a 12v white LED (to match the intake fans). Serendipitously that means 4 contacts, and I can use the same 4-pin connectors I have on the PCI-E bracket, two for the the power switch contacts, and two for the LED.

So here we are, I need 12v to power said LED, and I have a few other ideas where 12v, that I can step down if needed, would come in handy for other external accessories. e.g lighting.

Spec in Sig. Cheers guys!

Soldato
OP
Hi chaps, really appreciate the replies, thank you!

I have additional Molex cables for my modular PSU, I could use them. They're not currently in the system, and as a rule I loathe them. They're a sort of last ditch option. Do you know the IEC numbers for the ones I'd need if necessary?

Yes I was talking about SATA power connectors. From what I can tell they're specced to carry 1.5A, and the wires are rated for 4A. I wasn't aware drawing a few hundred mA would be a problem, am I missing something?

Cheers!

Soldato
OP
Not for SATA power, but I was just checking, as for some reason I thought SATA power connectors had less pins.

No probs, any input is appreciated and I'm glad people are trying to prevent disaster :D

A bit of research has confirmed each pin should be good for 1.5A, so 4.5A for the three 12V pins. The connector is rated for up to 13.5A across all pins.

So I've got up to 4.5A to play with, which is way more than I need.

Just need some clever person to come along and point me to part numbers for housings and crimps now :D

Soldato
OP
Silly question but why don't you just use a SATA -> Molex adapter and then you can design around Molex without having to install all the cables in your case.

It's not a silly question, it sounds like a good idea from where I'm sitting. Thanks fella.

I could even get a SATA power extension and just cut the other end off that. The thing for me is cost. Long story short money is incredibly tight at the moment due to my health; I've sold/am selling most of my expensive toys already. I do these little projects to keep me sane; even simple tasks can take quite a while these days.

I'm hoping I can pick up the crimps and housing for pennies, vs what could be a few quid for an extension.

I won't be able to cost it until I can find the appropriate housing and crimps though.

Thanks for the input! That's another option on the table :D

Soldato
I'd personally be looking at SATA adaptor cables. A quick eBay search shows they do them to Molex & 6 pin PCI-E. They even do SATA power splitters.

You could than find the connector for those, or cut them off and use your own

Soldato
I have a cable that I think is exactly what you need.. I will be struggling to get it to you before xmas but if you can wait till new year I can drop it in the post.

Its a SATA Power to 3 Pin Fan convertor for AIO pump header.

Caporegime
It's not a silly question, it sounds like a good idea from where I'm sitting. Thanks fella.

I could even get a SATA power extension and just cut the other end off that. The thing for me is cost. Long story short money is incredibly tight at the moment due to my health; I've sold/am selling most of my expensive toys already. I do these little projects to keep me sane; even simple tasks can take quite a while these days.

I'm hoping I can pick up the crimps and housing for pennies, vs what could be a few quid for an extension.

I won't be able to cost it until I can find the appropriate housing and crimps though.

Thanks for the input! That's another option on the table :D

SATA to molex are like 99p on ebay, I doubt you could save anything.

Back
Top Bottom