GT86/GR86/BRZ

Associate
Any of you have experience with the auto box on these? Trying to Google reliability and just getting the usual hits about the fuel chirp and rust.

Had my auto for three years - no issues what so ever. Put it in sport mode and enjoy the quicker gear changes with the flappy paddles. As with all GT86 a decent EcuTek tune (Fensport/Abbey/TD) along with manifold and exhaust change really bring the car alive.

Shawrey

Soldato
Auto is ok. Fairly quick shifting for a none dsg type. It’s hamstrung by long gearing though which has a fair impact on performance. Reliability wise it’s ok so long as you don’t go nuts with the power, they have to reign in FI outputs to help but NA is absolutely fine.

Soldato
Cheers guys! I had a feeling the auto was fine as I wasn't really finding much if any on them going wrong. I wouldn't be chasing power or anything either so that's fine with me. Nearly all of my driving is rush hour stuff anyway hence the preference for the Auto box. I've just always like the GT86 hence why this rather than something that might be a bit more wafty for that type of journey.

Associate
OP
I got a Corolla hybrid estate in the end. Was quite good.

I also saw a Supra at the showroom, they look so much better up close!

I sat in one of the Supra's whilst my car was in for a service the other week. Felt a bit cheap inside I wasn't a fan! You can really tell the difference between Toyota's materials and BMW's material on the inside.

Soldato
No sir, still in the S3 - But handily the Toyota dealership is right next door to Audi so I had a nosey in whilst I waited :p

Wishing I still had the 86 too though!

Ah ok, how are you finding the Audi?

I didn't sit in the Supra, I just had a walk round one in the showroom whilst I was waiting for the guy to hand me back my keys.

Associate
OP
Ah ok, how are you finding the Audi?

I didn't sit in the Supra, I just had a walk round one in the showroom whilst I was waiting for the guy to hand me back my keys.

Love it to bits, but it's a bit too refined. Everything feels like it's done for you rather than you doing it, and the steering is a little too electronic as you can't feel any road inputs from it really.

Currently putting £65 in every 4 days which isn't the most fun :p

Soldato
All Audis are like that (all the modern ones anyway). You don't get much feedback through the controls which makes it hard to get a feel for what the car is doing. If you went back to a gt86 now the controls would feel very direct and heavy.

Last edited:
Soldato
What sort of MPG is realistic when doing motorway cruising miles in these?

Thinking of getting one for a bit, but it'd have to do work duties as well, which means ensuring car allowance mileage rates cover fuel costs. The STi is of course not going anywhere, and it'd be silly to insure 3 cars, so a GT86/BRZ would replace the 407.

Soldato

Thinking of getting one for a bit, but it'd have to do work duties as well, which means ensuring car allowance mileage rates cover fuel costs. The STi is of course not going anywhere, and it'd be silly to insure 3 cars, so a GT86/BRZ would replace the 407.

Cant really help you for motorways because I do mainly short journeys, with the odd 60 mile motorway around once month. But my trip computer says my average mpg is 25.4.

Soldato

I don't use it for commuting anymore but when I did, I averaged about 34MPG. That includes weekend driving and a daily commute of a 50 mile round trip, perhaps 90% of which was busy motorway/DC.

Easily able to average a little over 40MPG on a long run. So, not brilliant, but by no means terrible for the sort of car it is.

Soldato
34mpg is decent to be fair. 40mpg I wouldn't have expected!

30mpg plus on the motorway works for me as the journey to the office (when I go) is basically 70 miles of motorway and dual carriageway. Otherwise when going to site meetings it's again motorway mileage 80% of the time.

Makes replacing the 407 a better prospect for me as I really don't want to replace it with another mundane diesel, but also don't want to have to rely on the P87 tax relief form to make up the difference for costs of work mileage.

Soldato
Yea I can top 40 while cruising along at 70. At 50-60mph you can hit 50mpg even. The benefits of a light car and an engine which has an easy life I guess.

With urban driving and a heavy foot I'm still only just under 30mpg :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you’re on the standard stock rims and tyres you can hit high 40’s to 50mpg on a run if you sit in the inside lane with the lorries. If you change to different high performance tyres or try to sit at 80mph then mpg suffers hugely.

Soldato
Fit 16", lighter wheels :D

I didn't notice a huge difference in mpg going from the Primacy HPs to PS4s though. The other benefit is the PS4s don't surprise drift in winter conditions :p

Back
Top Bottom