Bought an old BMW M3, filled with regret...

Soldato
Saleri are the OEM supplier for p much the entire E46 range, but not the E46 M3. The water pump OEM supplier is a company called Nidec GPM GmbH. Unfortunately, like a handful of parts/suppliers, they sell directly to manufacturers only and don't do retail.

IIRC BMW don't supply new pumps anymore, they re-manufacture them and just put new bearings/impellers in. The issue with finding an aftermarket water pump is that there have been people complaining that there is problems with the quality of them (not fitting properly, impellers that are heavier/not angled correctly etc).

That said, who knows if this is just down to mechanics not fitting them correctly as companies like GEBA and Saleri shouldn't struggle to make a simple basic, mechanical water pump which works properly. Hardly astrophysics!

Man of Honour
OP
That's what I thought regarding job itself and how people fit them. I'll be getting it done with the help of another E46 M3 owner who also a mechanic/MOT tester. It's just the damn pump itself I wanted to buy lol. He himself said Circoli (ECP's brand) are OEM for a lot of VAG cars he's worked on and he's never seen an issue but personally he'd pick as close to OEM as possible or better for his car.

I've read a USA forum review on the Saleri pump and no problems to note. I'd expect the E46 M3 pump from them to be just as good as the rest of the range tbh as they are OE for the other models. I'll also be replacing the Orings connecting to the thermostat and depending on the condition of the belt, that too as it's cheap.

I think the above might just be the best option in this case. Quality brand, good price. Cotswold on m3cutters quoted me £275 for the OEM pump on its own, no gasket that goes between it and engine block. Maind ealer wants over £370!!!!!!!!

I suppose 100k miles from an OEM one at £275 is "great value", but nobody out there has had the Saleri one and put 100k on it either even though we can almost be certain that it will last 100k miles or even more. The ///M tax applied to things like this by the dealer is just ridiculous which is why by principle I have always opted for OEM where the tax hasn't been applied or better than OEM with aftermarket where prices are cheaper and products are better.

Soldato
Good stuff. Exactly what you'd expect from an OEM supplier!

It'd be interesting to compare this side by side with your current one (i'm guessing factory one?) to see the differences.

BTW, have you still got Performance Friction Z rated pads on yours? I'm looking into them but I want cold bite and no noise and from Googling, there have been some scattered reports of squeal/drone when braking which would drive me nuts.

Man of Honour
OP
I'll get close up pics of both next to each other once the swap out starts. Won't be immediately soon though as I've got some busy weekends coming up. Yeah my waterpump is the original.

I still have PFC Z-rated pads all round. They are great for noise control but there is a very slight squeak under a very small window of conditions where all are present:

1: Low speed
2: Light application of brake pedal
3: Some dryness in the air
4: Pads already warm

Not all 4 pads squeak though, the noise is just from the rears for me and it's not the annoying type of noise just a faint one so nothing to worry about and that's with windows down roof down. I've had performance pads before that were annoyingly loud

Caporegime
I'll get close up pics of both next to each other once the swap out starts. Won't be immediately soon though as I've got some busy weekends coming up. Yeah my waterpump is the original.

I still have PFC Z-rated pads all round. They are great for noise control but there is a very slight squeak under a very small window of conditions where all are present:

1: Low speed
2: Light application of brake pedal
3: Some dryness in the air
4: Pads already warm

Not all 4 pads squeak though, the noise is just from the rears for me and it's not the annoying type of noise just a faint one so nothing to worry about and that's with windows down roof down. I've had performance pads before that were annoyingly loud

Chamfering the pads helps immensely. I did this with my Carbotech XP10's and it helped no end and they were incredibly loud. Just need a vice and a decent file to angle the leading and trailing surface. Also opened out the middle gassing groove into more of a V. The loss in pad surface area is minimal and haven't felt any difference yet I do not look like a plonker when coming up to lights.

Man of Honour
OP
That's good to know, maybe for future pads but as mentioned above the conditions have to be just right for a faint squeak and it only happens under slow speed light braking, like 2 inches of pedal travel, any further and there's no noise at all. The noise is also faint so nothing out of the ordinary of normal traffic!

In essence, not enough to find a file and vice :p

Man of Honour
OP
In typical fashion, the front indicator lenses have perished seals on one side letting water in on the driver's side lens. I also noticed the rubber gasket along the edge of each had started to peel away as it's perished over the years. Both lenses are originals but as some will know, if you take them off and feel them, they don't really feel like a piece of quality plastic, super lightweight and all plastic. I met up with a local guy who recently bought an E46 M3 as he had various questions (and has been following this thread :p) and found out that these lenses can be found on AutoDoc for <£15 each as I needed rear boot lid ones too as those had faded compared to the brake light clusters.

So I bought both sets and am quite pleased. The material feel, weight and visually look 1:1 to the original ones yet these are TYC branded. I suspect BMW sourced these items form the same factory back then and these makers have just continued to make them.

Anyway, looks much better now :cool:

lens_front_before.jpg

lens_front_after.jpg

Was pleased to see the IPX rating of the bulbs held up too

20191219_100904.jpg

lens_rear_before-after.jpeg

MOT due in January, #PrayForM3

Man of Honour
OP
New lenses make such a big difference.

A few things I've always found that totally transform the visual look of any car pretty much:

- Clean wheels
- Non faded light lenses
- Non shiny/worn steering wheel & gear knobs
- Unmarked interior leather/trim

The rest of the car can be dirty all over but these things make the biggest difference :cool:

Soldato
Urgh, headlight lenses are the one thing I wish I could change on my E92 M3. Clean lenses make the car look so much fresher - I did them on my E46 in about 45 minutes for about £50. On the E92 they properly seal them with glue/sealant though.

Associate
A few things I've always found that totally transform the visual look of any car pretty much:

- Clean wheels
- Non faded light lenses
- Non shiny/worn steering wheel & gear knobs
- Unmarked interior leather/trim

The rest of the car can be dirty all over but these things make the biggest difference :cool:

And new number plates!

Back
Top Bottom