Screw Snapped in half, best way to get it out?

Associate
So, I was just installing 2 cargo hooks, one side went in fine. The other side snapped as it went in. The screw was used, so not sure if it had been overstressed before.

Anyhow, I am now sat here 1 cargo hook short, and a snapped screw stuck in the hole flush. What is the best and easiest way to get this out?

Many thanks

Soldato
Picture?

Easy outs can sometimes work but it really depends on the access you have, how hard the screw is and how hard its jammed in the hole.

Permabanned
s-l1600.jpg

The one I used industrially for 20years (same style) but you get one now that do away with the drill but I do not think they will work as good.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
s-l1600.jpg

The one I used industrially for 20years (same style) but you get one now that do away with the drill but I do not think they will work as good.
These things are evil... I used it once, it was hell to drill that out when it snapped inside a stainless steel bolt.

I would use good quality cobalt drill bits with lubricant and work you way up in drill bit size, than use a tap die set.

Soldato
As above you'll have potential success with the left threaded tools

Sometimes even a reverse drill bit will be enough to get a screw out, depends where it is and just how stuck it is

Otherwise drill it out and either tap or helicoil

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the input, I luckily managed to get this out relatively easily! The screw half that was left in was not that tight. It was flush, so I used my magnetic pick up tool to twist the screw out and it worked!
Now I just need a new screw to put in :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Thank you all for the input, I luckily managed to get this out relatively easily! The screw half that was left in was not that tight. It was flush, so I used my magnetic pick up tool to twist the screw out and it worked!
Now I just need a new screw to put in :)
Result!

A bolt holding a rear caliper has snapped on me, thankfully a bit was sticking out and I managed to get that out with pliers. One of the very few bolts that came out that easily for me tho... All the bolts and studs in my S15, I had to either replace or use tap die set to redo the threads. :/

Nissan charges an arm and a leg for studs btw.:o

Back
Top Bottom