• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So now that all the new Ryzens are here how many cores do we actually need in 2020?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Because they’ve hit a brick wall in single core speed so the only way to make a ‘better’ cpu is to increase core count but what they don’t tell you is that a 3600x is as good as a 3950x 99% of the time barring of course niche applications, rendering h etc.
That is why I got a 3600 myself as I don't do anything that would benefit from more cores. Most 3900X cannot even keep up with my 3600 which runs all cores at 4.4GHz without a sweat :D

It is obviously nice to have more cores, but for normal use case there is little to no difference. I will only go core heavy once the 4000 series comes out as that will be the last gen cpu on AM4. That way I get better single core performance and have a cpu that will probably last a decade without a problem, assuming it won't get plagued with security issues. I mean if my 4 core Intel lasted over 6 years a 12 or 16 core 4000 series will probably last at least 10 years unless there is a major breakthrough where IPC goes up a lot.

Soldato
High cores for desktop users take years to see the future proofed benefits.

back in the day to play games you want 4c/8t cpus, there were 6 core plus HEDT options from Intel but they were slower in games, some people bought them anyway.

now in 2019 those 4c CPUs suck at gaming while those old HEDT CPUs are doing much better at gaming because we reached a point where the number of cores being used surpassed the ipc benefit on the lower core count desktop parts

right now a 9900k is 5% faster in games compared to a 3950x and 3900x. In 3 to 5 years it will be reversed with the higher core count CPUs even if they are old out performing those lower core count gaming CPUs

that's why I chose a 3950x rather than the 9900ks, I would have taken a 9900ks if o was happy to replace the cpu again soon but I wanna keep my new system for a while

Associate
I do CG, so I'll take as many as they want to give us ! AMD have massively taken the game forwards in the last 2 years - I'll happily lose a little peak single-core performance for the massive multi-core boost. For everyone else, the flood of cores means more ordinary workflows will get optimised for multi-core sooner & better.
3950x & next years 64-core threadripper, especially, have utterly re-defined the possiblilities. Honestly, the 3950x is cheap for what it offers, although I agree not everyone needs it.
I do game as well, but lets be real here - any old tat (within reason of course) will do for gaming & has done for years & years. I can't say I've ever upgraded a cpu for gaming performance.

Soldato
OP
You lost 99.9999% of real-world users and usage with that opening.:p
Well it was more to show that the ‘best’ Ryzens aren’t in fact better for 99.9999% of people.

It’s all very well wanting 12 or 16 cores but if most of them are sat idle it’s no different to buying a car with eight seats and only using 1-2 instead of buying the cheaper car with 4 seats.

Soldato
OP
6 Cores 12 Threads is the new 4 Core 4 Thread
8 Cores 16 Threads is the new 4 Core 8 Thread
12 Cores 24 Threads is the new 6 Core 12 Thread

That is the reality now.
Maybe in the heads of enthusiasts but I suspect reality is most people aren’t even on a four core cpu yet.

Soldato
Well it was more to show that the ‘best’ Ryzens aren’t in fact better for 99.9999% of people.

It’s all very well wanting 12 or 16 cores but if most of them are sat idle it’s no different to buying a car with eight seats and only using 1-2 instead of buying the cheaper car with 4 seats.

the better analogy would be driving a Ferrari at the speed limit in traffic instead of around the race track. Sometimes people just want the Ferrari anyway even if they are stuck in traffic most of the time and a Toyota (9900k) takes the same time to reach its destination

Associate

Yeah, completely agree. I only just recently upgraded to an 8/16 CPU, and it's probably overkill. Still, it'll last me for seven plus years, just like my 3770k did. :)

Hi everyone . I've just joined to brush up on my cpu knowledge. I'm wanting to build a real budget 4k video editing PC (I don't do gaming). Already decided on AM4 , and was thinking of getting a cheap CPU to start with a view to changing it when I get some more money. I keep looking at the next CPU up and thinkiong , hmmm.. for just another £10 .. or whatever ! lol . Anyway , I'm thinking of the ryzen 7 2700 @£140 8 cores 16 threads. Is that a good place to stop spending ?

Soldato
OP
Hi everyone . I've just joined to brush up on my cpu knowledge. I'm wanting to build a real budget 4k video editing PC (I don't do gaming). Already decided on AM4 , and was thinking of getting a cheap CPU to start with a view to changing it when I get some more money. I keep looking at the next CPU up and thinkiong , hmmm.. for just another £10 .. or whatever ! lol . Anyway , I'm thinking of the ryzen 7 2700 @£140 8 cores 16 threads. Is that a good place to stop spending ?

Absolutely. My 2700x was as good as my 3800x in some benchmarks.

Soldato
Maybe in the heads of enthusiasts but I suspect reality is most people aren’t even on a four core cpu yet.
screenshot_2019-12-21vsjos.png

Steam users aren't everybody of course, but realistically pretty much anybody with a gaming PC is going to have Steam installed. The uptick in hexa-core ownership since July is quite remarkable. Almost 4.5% of the user base has moved to six cores in the past six months (nearly the same amount of people total who own an octa-core). Guess those 3600s are selling well...

Soldato
6 Cores 12 Threads is the new 4 Core 4 Thread
8 Cores 16 Threads is the new 4 Core 8 Thread
12 Cores 24 Threads is the new 6 Core 12 Thread

That is the reality now.
Humbugs hit the nail on the head here tbh.

6 core 12 threads is the lowest i'd recommend for anyone i know that wants a system to last a good few years.
I'll wait for ryzen 4000 series for my own build and jump to 12 cores 24 threads i think due to me not upgrading often.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
screenshot_2019-12-21vsjos.png

Steam users aren't everybody of course, but realistically pretty much anybody with a gaming PC is going to have Steam installed. The uptick in hexa-core ownership since July is quite remarkable. Almost 4.5% of the user base has moved to six cores in the past six months (nearly the same amount of people total who own an octa-core). Guess those 3600s are selling well...
Indeed. I got one recently (upgraded from a quadcore) and am very happy with it :)

Back
Top Bottom