Ideal Screen Size ?

Associate
What is it , in your opinion ?

Happy with my 32" FHD LG at the moment, but out of curiousity looking around some websites and it seems like there are very very few monitors which are over 32"

I wouldn't get on with an ultra-wide as I like a nice square screen.

Light gamer but mainly internet browsing.

Don't feel the need for a huge monitor as I have a 43" and a 65" UHD TV for most viewing content.

Associate
A 43 is too big for a desk imho. I had a 4k 43" on my desk and I found I was looking up too much, hurting my neck. I also found that what generally happened was I would open a window and drag it into the centre are of the screen for easier viewing. I also ran it for a while at 3840x1440 to see what an ultrawide looked like and I didn't fancy that either.

I've dropped to a curved 32" 1440p panel now and it's a far far better experience all round for me know.

So, 32" is an ideal size. 1440p is enough.

Permabanned
Within limits of size/distance/res not going to agree on someone sitting 2-3feet from a 55" TV as a monitor like that grampa photo kicking about the forums.

There are charts to guide you but some think they know better so say they are BS, they are from THX so know their stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
Within limits of size/distance/res not going to agree on someone sitting 2-3feet from a 55" TV as a monitor like that grampa photo kicking about the forums.

There are charts to guide you but some think they know better so say they are BS, they are from THX so know their stuff.
Those charts are for watching content rather than productivity use, a big screen is la great replacement for multiple monitors, the biggest failing of a big screen is that the dpi is getting quite low, comfort for me is at 110-130dpi, my 43 falls into 102dpi which is a bit low and you can see the pixels at 2-3ft.

Of course the 46 I am considering is worse again than the 43 as it would be 96dpi, it would be that which would put me off rather than its size, but when I am not gaming I am working on the thing and the size makes it wonderful, what I would like is a 5k @ 46 inch, that would be sweet, 8k might work though would need dpi scaling which can be a ball ache on stuff that doesn't scale having had 28" 4k in the past.

Associate

Happy with my 32" FHD LG at the moment, but out of curiousity looking around some websites and it seems like there are very very few monitors which are over 32"

Don't feel the need for a huge monitor as I have a 43" and a 65" UHD TV for most viewing content.

Meant to bring up the following and got distracted.

Don't discount the ultrawide, it is great for multiple pages side by side, I also have a 38" 3840x1600 its a nice size to browse on and not too big, I imagine some of the 34" 3440x1440 would be a nice step up from what you have if 38 seems to much.

Soldato

I love my 34" ultrawide due to it not being a huge high square monitor..;)
And it great for when I want to have 2 windows(Tabs) open side by side :)

4k monitors still need to much GPU £££££ & horse power for my liking..Maybe this will change with nvidia next gen 3000 GPU's

Last edited:
Associate
Still cant upgrade from 2 x 30" Dell's hate widescreen I want vertical Res. Have looked at C9 but too large. Looking for 40" OLED or newer tech. Trouble is been waiting some 10 years for something worth going to.

Associate
As much as I like my 34" ultrawide for having the space to have many of my windows open at a decent size, I think for general use I prefer the look of 27" 1440p monitors.
I've not tried 4K yet so can't say whether I'd prefer that or not.

Caporegime

you cannot game (fps competitive) on a screeen bigger than 27" IMO not on a normal desk setup where you are within 2 feet of the screen. the largest you can go before it becomes massively an issue is 32".

i had a mate who games on a 50" but his desk was huge so he was about 3-4 feet back from it. he realised it was terrible for competitive play and went for a 34" ultra widescreen instead. even that IMO is too big for FPS.

for single player games there is no limit. same goes for work. in work I could easily use 8 screens if I wanted to.

Man of Honour
27-28" for me especially with online gaming. I do have bigger monitors but I don't find them well suited to either general purpose usage or more serious online gaming but nice to have for other types of gaming and specific usages.

Soldato
43" is perfect imo (no need for scaling at 4k). There is a chance 45" curved would be slightly better but it doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom