LG c9 OLED

Soldato
I never said anywhere DLP was the best but it has got better blacks than LCD based PJ (in same price range and tech at that time).

I cannot be bothered reading all above, topic is OLED after all.

You're talking about cheap projector technology which of course will give very poor IQ. Both the cheap epson LCD projectors and the cheap DLP projectors will give poor images. Its like buying a £500 edge lit TV and expecting to be as good as an OLED. I'm sorry but when it comes to projection, you just seem to not know what you're talking about. The high end projectors are SXRD Sony projectors and DLA JVC projectors. They are able to work some amazing things including really minimising the ability to even see pixels. JVC PJs give the best black levels in the business.

As you struggle or can't be bothered to read (quite disrespectful and rude to bother saying that.. just don't respond in future), I linked a video of my projector in action in a dark scene just so you could get an idea of what a good screen and a second hand budget projector can do (https://vimeo.com/380779097)

Alas I'm sure you probably didn't get this far as you don't like to read so I'm probably wasting my time haha.

On the topic of OLED, I measured up my home theatre space and I think a 77'' OLED will fit in nicely. Sadly they're still hovering around the 5.8k mark so its a big waiting game. :(

Permabanned
I have read enough of your ******** to last a lifetime, I never said I was an expert and I never said DLP was the best and all you want to do in this thread is rant off topic/boasting about how good your PJ is.

I can tell you for a fact I could go and buy a £10k PJ tomorrow but I am not going to dedicate a room in my house to a PJ, I bought ta £600 PJ in 2014 to try it and see if down the like I would get a better one as 4K was looming so did not make sense to buy a very high end 1080p at that time.

I am not going to read/reply to any more of your PJ talk in this thread.

Soldato
I have read enough of your ******** to last a lifetime, I never said I was an expert and I never said DLP was the best and all you want to do in this thread is rant off topic/boasting about how good your PJ is.

I can tell you for a fact I could go and buy a £10k PJ tomorrow but I am not going to dedicate a room in my house to a PJ, I bought ta £600 PJ in 2014 to try it and see if down the like I would get a better one as 4K was looming so did not make sense to buy a very high end 1080p at that time.

I am not going to read/reply to any more of your PJ talk in this thread.

lol

Soldato
Unless your PJ is a DLP (CRT like tech) or Laser i do not see how it can have great blacks as most now are based on LCD tech.

I had a midrange Optima DLP and it was not very good on blacks on a white screen, may have been better on silver/grey or even a black screen.

I grew up on CRT and still have a Sony FW900 and Pioneer Kuro LX5090 Plasma so know good blacks, my PC monitor is poor in comparison and it is a VA panel, TN and IPS even worse.

Most PJ's use a single bulb light source right? Well then real blacks are impossible, you'd need at least hundreds or thousands of mini bulbs.

found this DLP PJ vs LCD TV, not even an OLED and the PJ still doesn't come close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-UltjvHfmI

Last edited:
Soldato
I grew up on CRT and still have a Sony FW900 and Pioneer Kuro LX5090 Plasma so know good blacks, my PC monitor is poor in comparison and it is a VA panel, TN and IPS even worse.
The black levels on a Pioneer kuro plasma are crap now and just look like grey compared to an OLED
Yes the kuro black levels were amazing 11 years ago …

I have a 50" pioneer kuro in my living room and a 65" OLED in the bedroom so am watching stuff on both of these screens almost everyday..

Last edited:
Permabanned
How can amazing suddenly be crap, that is what you are talking right now (Do not try to say PC game graphics bla bla years ago as not comparable). :p

At least it is built to last (Later 9 series Revision "Purple Tint" not Green" April 2009 build and bought new) where as every LG I have bought myself, my mother and advised family/friends to buy (2013-2017 models and mid range) all died, some a few weeks old and when I seen inside my mothers (two died just out of warranty) to repair them I could see why.

LG may have good panels, they always did even their Plasma range late on but they cannot do control for ****, that is why other brand OLED's using LG panels are better, the motion on my Kuro is more natural/better than the 1st gen OLED (yes I was one of the fools to buy) that died on me.

Last edited:
Soldato
How can amazing suddenly be crap, that is what you are talking right now (Do not try to say PC game graphics bla bla years ago as not comparable). :p

At least it is built to last (Later 9 series Revision "Purple Tint" not Green" April 2009 build and bought new) where as every LG I have bought myself, my mother and advised family/friends to buy (2013-2017 models and mid range) all died, some a few weeks old and when I seen inside my mothers (two died just out of warranty) to repair them I could see why.

LG may have good panels, they always did even their Plasma range late on but they cannot do control for ****, that is why other brand OLED's using LG panels are better, the motion on my Kuro is more natural/better than the 1st gen OLED (yes I was one of the fools to buy) that died on me.
As richer sounds offer a 5/6 year warranty, does it cover IR?

Permabanned
Not sure why you are asking me that as I did not buy a TV from them, someone else may know or look it up.

The TV's above apart from my own were all LCD and normal warranty think it was 1-2years (cannot remember) but the new ones that were faulty or died in matter of weeks were replaced some with better models (gesture of good will from Amazon) and then they acted up so cash refunded.

Soldato
Most PJ's use a single bulb light source right? Well then real blacks are impossible, you'd need at least hundreds or thousands of mini bulbs.

found this DLP PJ vs LCD TV, not even an OLED and the PJ still doesn't come close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-UltjvHfmI

That comparison is just silly. It’s not using a good screen and it’s using a budget dlp.

projectors can get as black as the room is treated pretty much however they and their screens are costly and Inconvienant.

no offence to the person who made the video but they don’t know what they are doing. As soon as someone who has white walls projects onto that wall.. or uses a white screen in that environment.. they are gonna substantially gimp their pj cos the ambient light bounces all around the room and you lose loads of contrast.

Also with the lights on a pj is crap!!!
One reason why I like them is I watch all my falds and when I had an oled in the dark

Example of someone who has a good pj and a good screen:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/draper-reactii-fitted-and-tested.1604732/page-68#post-27587271

Last edited:
Soldato

Plasma motion is just beautiful tbh. Oleds and lcds feel a little less natural.

maybe a Panasonic oled would look good as I do like their motion processing. Or of course Sony. But plasmas.. even the cheap ones.. have such silky motion.

Associate
...and back to talking about the TV in the subject

I’m very pleased with mine overall. I have 2 niggles

1) annoyingly it sometimes forgets it is set to eARC and goes back to TV sound. I’ve no idea why

2) it would be that little bit better if the apps would pass through HD sounds from eg Plex rather than being limited to 5.1dd. I knew they didn’t when I got it, maybe it will be fixed in future, but I still overall prefer the ease and clean look of no added box to provide this and it’s much more of a win for WAF

Soldato
It's still got to be seen if LG can produce oled > 65" in the new factories, with a decent yield, and thus a reasoinable price, otherwise they may be intercepted by microled ?
seems huawei will be taking LG panels next year for their tv range.

Has there been any innovation for projectors, or is dlp it ?
I keep being conned by the terminology 'laser' think it will be a directly steerable laser, generating the picture, but afaik that's not the case,
and even the cinemas, just use dlp's, with appropriate cooling for the high lumens.

Soldato
It's still got to be seen if LG can produce oled > 65" in the new factories, with a decent yield, and thus a reasoinable price, otherwise they may be intercepted by microled ?
seems huawei will be taking LG panels next year for their tv range.

Has there been any innovation for projectors, or is dlp it ?
I keep being conned by the terminology 'laser' think it will be a directly steerable laser, generating the picture, but afaik that's not the case,
and even the cinemas, just use dlp's, with appropriate cooling for the high lumens.

The best technologies in projectors are still coming from Sony and JVC (that'd be DLA and SDRX).
I'm not sure if by DLP you're referring to the home projectors of Optoma or BenQ but if you are, they're nearer the bottom end of visual fidelity and probably akin to your entry level TVs.
The best screen technologies are still ALR screens or recently 'projector paints' which seem to be doing VERY well with excellent results for ambient light viewing and improving the black levels of projectors without ruining the other colours.

I agree with you. As much as I love an OLED picture, a lot of the higher end users now want bigger screens, especially if using it as a PC monitor and for the best home cinema experience. The OLED yields just aren't there whilst LCD clearly are.

However I don't know which company is or isn't going to dip into microLED soon so LG have quite a bit of time to refine and increase the yields of their bigger sizes. I read their profit margins for the 77'' screens are low.

For anyone who wants a 55''-65'' screen, I do struggle to suggest anything but an OLED as I feel their price is really reasonable for what you're getting (best in class PQ).

Soldato
The best technologies in projectors are still coming from Sony and JVC (that'd be DLA and SDRX).
I'm not sure if by DLP you're referring to the home projectors of Optoma or BenQ but if you are, they're nearer the bottom end of visual fidelity and probably akin to your entry level TVs.
I mean the underlying projection system .. Digitallightprojection chip - TI - yes ? small micromirrors/mems which cannot close off the light perfectly and have an aperture, so gaps between them and the adjacent pixel, both of which contribute to picture degradation.

Soldato
Not sure why you are asking me that as I did not buy a TV from them, someone else may know or look it up.

The TV's above apart from my own were all LCD and normal warranty think it was 1-2years (cannot remember) but the new ones that were faulty or died in matter of weeks were replaced some with better models (gesture of good will from Amazon) and then they acted up so cash refunded.
Sorry it wasn't meant to be a question for you directly, just wondered if anyone had asked them. Would be very interesting if it does cover IR.

Back
Top Bottom