The Witcher series (Netflix)

Permabanned
Watched up to episode 3 and finding it quite immeasurably dull. Haven't seen a show this sloppily underwritten and edited for a long time. It's cool to see a lot of the stuff come to life form the books though. I'll stick it out to see how they transcribe some of the events, but I can't imagine it'll get much better.

Soldato
Finished the last 4 yesterday and really enjoyed it, as only playing the games I was slightly lost with some of the plot points and book readers are saying they've skipped over several key points but in general everyone seems happy with this, Henry has nailed Geralt right down to the hmmm sound.

Soldato
Binged on this over the weekend.

I was pretty confused up until episode 4 when I finally had to google "How is the queen still alive"? From that point everything made a lot more sense.

I've never read the books or played the game but overall I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2!

Associate
Like a few others, binge watched the show over the weekend.
The first couple of episodes were okay but didn't really wow me beyond a couple of short scenes, I felt like I could have easily skipped forward through some of the dialogue scenes as some of them didn't add much to the experience. The show improved around episode three until episode five, then it dropped in quality a little for me around episode six & seven and picked up with some more interesting content for the final episode of the series.

The constant jumping around in the timelines absolutely did my head in and at times made parts of the show a little confusing until my brain caught up that it had jumped to a different time... if they're going to do that, at the very least, put a little text to say 'x years earlier' or had some other indication that it was about to take you to another timeline. I think I would have preferred it if they did all of the early timeline in a single episode and then stuck to the present day stuff for the other seven episodes.

Overall, I'd give the first season a 6/10, maybe a 6.5.
It was enjoyable enough to watch the entire first series but is definitely not something that I would go back to watch again unless they do some major improvements for a second season.

I don't remember Ermion either. LOL. Which game was he in? I'm guessing the first?
He's in Witcher 3, the Druid adviser at the royal castle in Skellige.

Associate
Was enjoyable enough but felt rushed I think. It's fantasy so it's going to get comparisons with GoT; that show, even in season one, just felt more polished than Witcher.
Scripts really need work and they needed to help people new to the setting and world find their feet better than messing us about with time jumps from the off. Still have no idea of the geography of the world other than mad fanatics in the south spreading north.
Who are the major players, races and where do they all live? Might sound silly but the GoT intro does a great job of doing all that without a word of exposition.

Was getting a bit of a Wheel of Time vibe from the story with the Mages pulling strings behind the scenes like the Aes Sedai. Also with their longevity.

Think it took a while but finally grew to like Cavil's portrayal of his character, even though it reminded me of Bales batman voice. His throat must have been sore at the end of a shoot. Certainly has the imposing physicality.

Caporegime
Still have no idea of the geography of the world other than mad fanatics in the south spreading north.
Who are the major players, races and where do they all live? Might sound silly but the GoT intro does a great job of doing all that without a word of exposition.

Because it isn't relevant. This is Geralt's story and Geralt doesn't give a **** about politics at the start. If things become more relevant they will be explained. You expecting this to be a political fantasy drama with characters spanning the world like GoT is your failing, not the show's.

Man of Honour
Watching this in the background whilst my partner goes through it. Seems really fun. I do enjoy the liberal swearing and exclamations of "****!" :D

Man of Honour
Because it isn't relevant. This is Geralt's story and Geralt doesn't give a **** about politics at the start. If things become more relevant they will be explained. You expecting this to be a political fantasy drama with characters spanning the world like GoT is your failing, not the show's.

I disagree - Geralt's story spans a lot of it and is intertwined with elements from many different parts and it forms a lot of the background - having a sense and reference for place, etc. is essential and as mentioned GOT, LOTR, etc. manage to do it fine and work it in generally without even any exposition. Even if Geralt doesn't give a **** about politics the politics of the story world give a **** about him and that is part of the story.

I don't expect to see the big political arcs like GOT but I do expect some decent reference as to time and place to help make sense of things.

Associate

That'd be fine if the show only followed Geralt. But it doesn't, the show follows three main leads. Two of whom are very much involved in the political drama of the world and do seem to give a ****.

Soldato
Given the depth of material available, the show so far does lack that depth and a pretty standard fantasy affair. It's good, just not as good as it could be and quite clichéd at times.

Still not a bad base to build from for next season.

Soldato
One disappointing aspect I’ve been told is they won’t be using any of the extra non book material from the games.

The Crones arc in the game in my opinion was one of best. And the Crones theme song is amazingly sinister. I could see that arc adapting quite well in TV form.

Side note: the dwarves are terrible, have they just hired actual real life midgets?

Back
Top Bottom