Tenet (2020) - Christoper Nolan

Man of Honour
“1 week, 1 day, 1 hour” - somewhat gimmicky. I didn’t mind it though.

The ‘best’ bit about Dunkirk was the horrifying sinking boat scene. That really gave me the willies.

The film didn’t really have a strong narrative from a traditional storytelling perspective and ultimately that’s what the film sorely lacked. I don’t have much interest in seeing it again.

Interstellar was amazing.

Soldato
Same here for me, I like some of his films but I don't believe he is some mystical "OMG the greatest" director in the way some people react to him with the usual "how can you not think Dunkirk is amazing?????" etc :D
He is a great director ONE of the best in the industry - I dont really think that disputable. His vision and skill is why the pet projects by him (and often his brother) are constantly funded.

What he does with that talent and the films that are written (in part by him) is a different conversation altogether.

You wouldnt call Spielberg a bad director , yet he made some flawed films.
De Niro is one of best actors to ever grace the screen but he has been in some absolutely awful movies over the last 10 years.

Soldato
Thats an really intriguing film idea that I'm very interested in seeing, just to try and figure out how the "time reversing" effects were done.

He is a great director ONE of the best in the industry - I don't really think that's disputable. His vision and skill is why the pet projects by him (and often his brother) are constantly funded.

What he does with that talent and the films that are written (in part by him) is a different conversation altogether.

De Niro is one of best actors to ever grace the screen but he has been in some absolutely awful movies over the last 10 years.

I think you've mis-understood my quoted post - Just because I genuinely don't believe he's the "greatest" as many other people think doesn't mean that I don't think he's a "great" director - I think he is great - I just don't think he's the best we've ever seen, which is the typical reaction from most.

I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you think differently than myself and thats just life but everything would be dull without a few little differences.

Soldato
meh. I thought Inception was overrated and after the bloated garbage that was Interstellar this is firmly in the wait-till-it's-in-Poundland category.

Associate
Looks very Nolan and the concept seems interesting. The Prestige & Memento are in my top 5 films ever... everything he does nowadays is very 'epic' in scale, at some point in the future id like to see him do another film which takes a more subtle approach like his early films. I guess Dunkirk fits that description a bit thinking about it.

Associate
Saw a different "trailer" for the film in IMAX yesterday before Star Wars IX. It was maybe a 3-4 minute clip taken straight out of the film, of a siege on a concert auditorium. It was absolutely gripping, and extremely tense. Left on a big cliff hanger so I'm going to have to see it now!

This also happened with Dunkirk last time I was at an IMAX screening. Another 3-4 minute clip cut straight out of the film and played as a trailer.

Last edited:
Permabanned
He is a great director ONE of the best in the industry - I dont really think that disputable. His vision and skill is why the pet projects by him (and often his brother) are constantly funded.

I think he's great visually and knows how to get the best out of his crew. Can imagine he's quite a hands on director in the editing room and sound studio. I do however think he's quite a poor writer. He knows how to build off a screenplay but his dialogue is always so wooden and I really don't think he understands how to structure his emotional beats. Feels like if you where to teach an AI what emotion was. Very lacking in nuance (see Interstellar...).

Denis Villeneuve is a far more accomplished Sci-Fi Director imo. He just gets it where Nolan often doesn't.

Soldato
Thats an really intriguing film idea that I'm very interested in seeing, just to try and figure out how the "time reversing" effects were done.

Erm, playing video backwards? :p

Trailer looks interesting...I will now avoid any more until it releases.

I don't love all his films, Dunkirk was meh. Interstellar is one of my favourite movies of all time though...

Soldato
Some interesting time manipulation in the trailer, think I'll avoid the hype as much as possible and just go see it in the cinema.

Man of Honour
I imagine it plays on the multiverse timeline theory where everything spawns a new timeline like roots spawning off and they've figured out a way to interconnect timelines together so events from one can manifest in the current in either direction. Looks really cool definitely a cinema watch.

Back
Top Bottom