Audi Q7 vs Range Rover Sport vs Merc GLE

Soldato
I'm looking to change my current Mercedes GLE in the next few months for something a bit different.

I'd be interested to hear what your views are on the above cars.

The Range Rover Sport with the P400E engine intrigues me, not least because I should be able to drive to work and back mostly on electric. A few people say that it can stumble a bit when deciding which mode to use - I'm yet to test drive one.

Is it right that Audi may be launching a similar hybrid engine on the Q7 soon? I'm liking the latest facelift Q7 a lot.

I've ruled out the X5 just because it doesn't appeal to me personally, and I'm not sure if the new model GLE has changed enough for me to want one.

Engine wise, I do around 20k miles a year so unfortunately it can't be anything too silly. I would like something to suit a large SUV though - I find the 250D engine in my GLE has to work a bit too hard and is too noisy.

Look forward to hearing your views on these or any other suggestions that I've missed.

Soldato
You should drive an X5 and spend some time with a good one, it's an easy choice compared to the above.

The only SUV that came close was a Cayenne, but they cost more, didn't have the spec or internal ergonomics, plus they felt strangely small inside.

Soldato
and I'm not sure if the new model GLE has changed enough for me to want one.

If you did want to stick with Merc, the latest GLE hybrid looks very capable (GLE350de). It's got a 31.2 kWh battery and WLTP electric range of 61.5 miles (obviously you'll get a bit less real world, but it's still very respectable). Still a 2 litre diesel, but has plenty of shove when combined with the electric motor, even with the extra weight of the battery.

Soldato
OP
Maybe I ruled out the X5 a bit quickly, I'm just not a great fan of the recent designs but maybe it'll grow on me. The 45e looks very interesting though. I will go and have a look at one in the flesh closely. What's the infotainment system like these days?

Great video on the RR Sport. I sat in one today for the first time and loved the driving position, not a great fan of the touch screen though which also felt a bit sluggish. I need to arrange a test drive.

I've driven the Cayenne and it's not for me. I couldn't put a finger on it but it didn't sit right, plus once I had spec'd it up the price was rather eye-watering!

Soldato
You should drive an X5 and spend some time with a good one, it's an easy choice compared to the above.

The only SUV that came close was a Cayenne, but they cost more, didn't have the spec or internal ergonomics, plus they felt strangely small inside.

They are all like that. Like a reverse tardis.

I've never got in to an SUV and felt it was as big as it looked on the outside.

Caporegime
Best in class.

And the has been for some iterations now.

As it happens had loan of an f-pace yesterday. Reaffirmed everything I despise about SUVs although the cabin was a nice environment to be in minus the complete lack of any front legroom!
Infotainment was far better in the x5, jags system is pretty but ergonomically poor.

Soldato
Another one of those "I am stinking rich and want to brag that I can afford to buy a new car that costs as much as a small house" threads...!:D

Having said that, I have a relative who is stinking rich and has been able to buy a new car that cost as much as a small house!

The Q7 plug in hybrid is seriously impressive. (When it depreciates to zero in ten years time I might even offer him £500 for it ;))

BUT!

Be aware, it is Massive!

You will not be able to garage it

And you will need a large drive way to turn it round in.

In all seriousness, I think it has a larger "Footprint" than my Ford Luton Van (And weighs nearly as much as the lorry carrying its max payload too)

But it is nice and the silence in electric mode is really quite creepy..

Soldato
Yes you can. Minimum dimensions for new build garages for example are now very generous at 3x6 for a single and 6x6 for a double, both would easily park a Q7.

You might struggle to open the doors afterwards mind

I have actually been in one of these vehicles and really, 3M is not enough (Unless you are Twiggy!)

Oh, And PS

The door skins are made of alloy too,

A butterfly farting on one will leave a dent in it. :(

Soldato
Maybe I ruled out the X5 a bit quickly, I'm just not a great fan of the recent designs but maybe it'll grow on me. The 45e looks very interesting though. I will go and have a look at one in the flesh closely. What's the infotainment system like these days?

Great video on the RR Sport. I sat in one today for the first time and loved the driving position, not a great fan of the touch screen though which also felt a bit sluggish. I need to arrange a test drive.

I've driven the Cayenne and it's not for me. I couldn't put a finger on it but it didn't sit right, plus once I had spec'd it up the price was rather eye-watering!

The infotainment is poor. I live with it on a daily basis and let me tell you, its a pain hence the reason I started the touch screen thread. There’s definitely a good feeling you get when you drive an RR though, I cant put my finger on it, perhaps its all down to the higher driving position you mentioned.

Agree with the styling of the x5, i preferred the older ones.

Personally, the Q7 is where my head is at for the next one, its also more planted to the road and less bouncy than the RR sport, if that makes any difference.

Man of Honour
Those dimensions aren't correct. Building regulations don't state a minimum size.

It's not a building regulations thing, it's in many local councils planning regulations now. Admittedly not quite everywhere yet. I think it was to stop builders getting away with using tiny garages you can't park in to fulfil the minimum parking quota.

Caporegime
It's not a building regulations thing, it's in many local councils planning regulations now. Admittedly not quite everywhere yet. I think it was to stop builders getting away with using tiny garages you can't park in to fulfil the minimum parking quota.

AFAIK only a couple of Scottish councils use it. RIBA I think state 2.5 x 5 for singles but don't know about doubles.

Back
Top Bottom