So how did your decade go?

Associate
Cool idea.

Worked several different boring jobs in the Civil Service, moving around every year or so. My mum died in 2014. Got married in 2016, moved to London a few months later (from Leeds). In Feb 2018 we moved to the USA after my wife finished her PhD. Just moved back to London a couple months ago. I quit my job before we left and am now taking time to find something I'd be more interested in, her wage supports us both and then some. Planning to move back to Leeds in a year or so and buy a house. Had about 30 holidays. Made some great new friends. Started running.

Associate
Professional :
2009 graduated
Worked multiple jobs
2011 worked in Oz
2012 moved back in with parents contracting for work
2016 post graduate qualification
2019 own a business, employ 10 people, doing further post graduate qualifications and expanding business

Personal:
2010 ended long term relationship
2012 bought a huge wreck of an old house, re-met my wife (old uni friend)
2017 married, worked in Africa, first child,
2019 second child
Visited about 30 counties, become less consumerist (just about), give more to charity

Future:
Finish this house, 5th bathroom to put in and basement to sort. Buy a classic car to run forever, switch both main cars to electric. Not to have anymore children!!

Associate
In 2010 ended up getting with a girl who I met in 2001, who dumped me after 2 months and was best friends with (and the odd booty call) ever since. 2015 we were married, 2019 November our little girl was born. Done alrite in my job, started in 2008 as a Product Enginer for a large security firm, worked up to my promotion to Project Lead this year - added a significant amount to my yearly salary since 2010 as well , so guess that’s alrite.

Travelled a bit as well been to Dubai twice, Greece twice a year due to my missus being half Greek, Cayman Islands, and Antigua. Also Oslo and France a few times through work.

Underboss
Reflecting back on it, I can't complain at all.

Left a good job but it was highly dangerous for low pay and terrible uniforms and caused untold stress on my wife and children.

Went into IT, joined the Civil Service, kept getting promoted.

Joined the private sector in IT and almost doubled my salary overnight.

Moved a couple of times, owned more than one jalopy but I like old bangers.

Watched the kids grow and continue to do so, health improved and thankfully my family are healthy.

Here is to the next 10 and the high/low it will undoubtedly bring.

Here is to your next 10 also! The day is always darkest before the dawn.

Soldato
Crikey, a decade. From age 22 to 32.

Then: scraping minimum wage for highly skilled work. Crappy house share. String of girlfriends and heartbreak.

Now: almost tripled my income. Went to uni aged 26 and that basically doubled it once I graduated. Been in a reasonably nice house 8 years but moving in with my girlfriend's brother sometime in 2020.

In the middle: had a career making bicycle powered electrics which showed me a lot of cool experiences from teaching, to working at festivals and Olympics events. Learned how to be comfortable in my own skin and relax about women - which led to meeting current girlfriend who's been around 6 years now.

Thing is despite making huge progress on paper and being in a better place, my head is not right at all. 2019 has been awful to me. I'm not happy about how I live. Spent 2019 hiding and complaining about it. In 2020 I plan to get my **** together and get some help.

Associate
I see this decade as one where I look back and truly got my act together & count my blessing's health wise.

It sounds daft, just like many posters, I have been fighting my inner demons. I am (over the years) learning to play them. Made mistakes along the way, but when compared to years before - The last decade has been decent & rewarding. I am getting to a place where I wanted to be all those years ago when I was a dreamer at school.

There is room for improvement and fuel in the tank/drive to better still. The next decade is one where it will be a true unknown...

Soldato
Broke up with long term girlfriend and sold house
Spent two years hammering online dating and the ladies on it.
Moved to NZ
Changed careers
Started and sold a company.
Moved cities twice
Bought and sold house
Bought and sold another house
Spent 6 months hammering online dating in NZ and the ladies on it
Discovered FIRE and about 3 years away from achieving
Met someone
About to become a father at the age of 39.

Started slow but finished very strong.

The next one will be absolute vintage.

Caporegime
Been a hell of a decade for me.

2010 - Bought flat with my not-at-the-time-ex, almost died from ruptured appendix while on holiday
2011 - Got my first ever cat, and first ever UK-based pet
2012 - Redundancies at work lead to a great career move (20% pay rise doing the same project management job for a better company)
2013 - Took my first (of now 15) cruises and loved it
2014 - Broke up with my ex, and did an internal career move in to Marketing (13% pay rise)
2015 - Started dating a woman with a 'fixed-term' contract of a year as we liked eachothers company but didn't see it as long-term viable, went on first Caribbean cruise
2016 - We both break the contract, fall in love, and I move in with her (we get a third cat to add to her existing 2)
2017 - Internal job move (12% pay rise), I propose in a Nazi-themed escape room (she said ja), win a global company award (only 5 awarded each year to a pool of 65k employees)
2018 - Promotion to senior role (16% pay rise), we decide to buy a house after visiting a new development on a whim. Oh, and we get married.
2019 - Bought our forever home

In 10 years I have increased my earnings by 76%, and upgrade both my spouse and house counts, all whilst maintaining my general happy-go-lucky lifestyle.

**** YEAH!

Associate
The last 10 years have definitely been my best so far, with the previous decade being a complete write off.
2010 - Got married, had my first child, bought a flat to get a foot on the ladder
2012 - Had my second child
2016 - Bought our first house, did a complete renovation turning it from 3 to 4 beds and a large
extension
2019 - Started a new job which works out as 5x salary of my 2010 job.

The last 10 years have been focused on family and career, with not much time for myself, I did take up cycling for fitness and now commute nearly every day which has helped me to drop 20+ KG. The next 10 years I plan to travel with the family more and find a hobby or two and hope that everyone stays healthy.

Associate
Basically, last decade could have been better, a lot better, but could have been worse.

- 7 years in a **** hole of a flat
- Made redundant (2011), genuinely feared for the future...
- In debt for the whole decade, just about paid off now
- Got out of it, then back in it again within a year
- Bouts of depression and lack of motivation
- Drink too much
- Struggled with weight
- Uncle died
- OHs parents got dementia and cancer, both still here for now

On the plus side
- Managed to get out of said hovel flat and into a nice house eventually
- Promoted at work this year (1st time ever @ 40), best point of my career in my life
- Job also seems safe for the forseeable, touch wood
- First ever lads holiday in 2018 (at 39), and again at 40. Also first proper holiday since 2009
- Debts just about gone

2020 onwards should be better for me as I've grown up quite a lot, but still not quite where I'd like to be, but if I'm still here this time in 10 years hopefully I will be, that is, if my rather anacharnistic youth doesn't catch up with me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Graduated with a degree in TV Production towards the start of the decade.
Worked in retail, then moved to a fraud analyst role (contact centre) and then cheque fraud/ business back office admin role. Met my current partner.
Left office work and joined the Army (trained as a shipwright). Had some good times so far (sailing in the Arctic, crew on a race earlier in the year), skiing in Austria, been to Nigeria too.
Bought a house last year with my partner, and started an OU degree in Computing.

Some downsides, but the upsides completely outweigh them and I'm on a path to where I want to be.

Soldato
My decade was pretty quite until 2016, just living with my parents working away and saving up for a deposit for a house. Then me and my gf moved in together after getting a house that was a lot bigger than i expected! Hence we were about to rent out a couple of rooms and make more money that way. Got Married in 2017, and the wife got pregnant in 2019! So baby on the way on 2020.

The only negative thing is a parking company chasing us for a 4k debt that we don't owe because of a car we have nothing to do with. They don't have a leg to stand on but they keep bothering us like an annoying fly, hopefully, it'll be settled in 2020 and they can **** off.

Man of Honour
Noting much changed really. I can't believe how quick it's gone. I managed to get fully qualified in Photography and I achieved an Licentiate distinction with the RPS.

I got mortgage paid off. My daughter moved out and I lost me mum 3 years ago.

Big changes next year though.. I've been given 6 month notice at work so I'm looking forward to a lovely payoff and semi retirement. I'm certainly not going back to the rat race of the office life and the ludicrous bureaucracy rubbish that goes with it.

Looking forward to my daughters wedding in 21.

Soldato
Big changes next year though.. I've been given 6 month notice at work so I'm looking forward to a lovely payoff and semi retirement. I'm certainly not going back to the rat race of the office life and the ludicrous bureaucracy rubbish that goes with it.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've not experienced that kind of thing for about 15 years.

Associate
Most of the last decade has been okay for me, been working at the same place for the majority of it so may look at a change of scenery in the near future... had a few rough patches where a number of my good friends passed away, had some family troubles and I had a few blips of depression. Haven't had to move home as much this decade which is nice as I've gotten to know local people better for a change (used to move almost every 7-8 months when I was young).
Got back into some old hobbies again so that's been good and planning to travel a lot more for the next decade.

Associate
10 years ago I still had 2 years of High school left.

Since then a lot has happened. Been working for 6 years.

Bought and sold house
Bought and sold 3 cars
Got married to a primary school friend
Relocated my life from South Africa to the UK came over with nothing but the clothes in my bag and some savings
Joined the PC masterace

Soldato
Good for me

2010 - working for a mid size company, employee - earning decent money but nothing great
2011 - move house from 3 bed semi to 4 bed detached.
2011 - daughter is born (2nd child), 7 weeks later wife shatters her ankle and has to spend 12 weeks none weight bearing - very tough time for her and us with new born as she feels her "bonding" time is very limited with new baby
2012 - wife struggles with post natal depression and balancing work/home/baby etc is hard work - tough time for us all.
2013 - much better family life/work etc
2014 - business I work for is taken over by a massive multi-national firm - new company targets are insane - totally unrealistic (they are London based, we are central Scotland and they expect the same numbers/targets)
2015 - decide it's time to move on - take a leap of faith and start my own business, take my clients, setup myself. Lawyers, solicitors, threats of court but all come to nothing.
2016 - close friend passes from cancer aged 48. Makes you look at life and think I seriously need to enjoy it and live it. Turned 40, did some travelling and extra holidays.
2017 - tough times again for my wife at work - involved in a very difficult/tough disciplinary case (not her directly but she's a witness to it all) - lots of threats, facebook post aimed at her, car getting keyed (BITCH) etc and she struggles again with depression etc.
2018 - business going very well for me - extra holidays - Vegas with the boys etc.
2019 - again - things going well - family growing up, bought a Tesla, enjoyed some nice holidays - mortgage reducing nicely.

All in - nothing dramatic, nothing major, some bumps along the way - but that's life.

Soldato
All good for me for the most part.

2010 - Got Married
2012 - New Dad to a little girl
2015 - New Dad to a little boy
2016 - New job and career change IT networking
2016 - New Dad to a little boy
2017 - New house
2018 - Had my appendix out
2019 - Old man Spud the dog died :(
2019 - New dog Rocket (mental)

Looking forward to the future. Pretty content with my life right now my job is close to home I walk my kids to school then walk to work. Our house needs work so spending lots of time getting that up to a happy standard. May look to extend or move in the future. Job is going well I'm hoping to get a senior position next year and a bit more money which would be nice.

Soldato
Had a child right at the start of the decade, moved out of Bristol into a village and a nice-sized long-term family home, had a second child. Meanwhile, got a great job opportunity and failed to make the most of it, but still doing alright (could have been excellent, though). Permanently tired, mostly due to the family stuff.

Started the decade with a scraggy, patchy beard, ended entering my late 30s still unable to grow a nice big bushy beard :(

Soldato
2010 - inherited a house and contents
2011 - daughter was born
2012 - quit my job at RBS
2013 - took on a man cave on the shores of Loch Rannoch
2014 - sold house
2015 - bought a flat to rent in Edinburgh
2016 - got fit
2017- bought a house
2018 - my good friend and adopted granddad died. Left my man cave at Loch Rannoch to live in Edinburgh
2019 - looking to buy a property in Glencoe village, waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom