Metalwork Fabrication

Soldato
I was being quoted around £150 inclusive of materials?

I know it's a one off piece, and as such costs would be higher, but it seems a bit steep to me - thanks
That's excessive. My mum's just had some bespoke dining table legs and frame made out of thick box section steel for £160. Which included painting and delivery into her house through the front living room window (that the took out for her)because the table frame was too big to fit through the front door.

Man of Honour
I had a machine shop do a load of work for me not long back and simply drove around some industrial estates until i found a little back street machine shop. I needed some bolts drilled out of 2 hubs as well as a few bits skimmed and also had a similar sort of arm fabricated for holding the hardtop for my car. The whole lot including materials was £95 and it took them around an hour to do all 4 bits.

One of the hubs did need a bit of reworking by them after but they did it for free so that wasnt bad.

Soldato
Build it yourself from aluminium extrusion. It's just like giant mechano. The only tools you'll need are a screwdriver/allen key (depending on what fastners you buy) and maybe a hacksaw if you can't buy it in exactly the lengths you need.

(Yes, I know you said you didn't want to make it yourself but this stuff is really simple)

This would be the cheapest way, it's not too expensive per m on the bay.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Thats the kinda thing that usually takes me about an hour to knock up at work, £150 is a tad on the high side tbh as the materials needed are on the small side & are perfect for using up off-cuts which'll keep costs down, shame i'm not at work as ide have a crack at that for you.

Associate
OP
Thats the kinda thing that usually takes me about an hour to knock up at work, £150 is a tad on the high side tbh as the materials needed are on the small side & are perfect for using up off-cuts which'll keep costs down, shame i'm not at work as ide have a crack at that for you.

When you say you're not at work, do you mean you're off for Xmas, or no longer working there?

There is no rush, happy to wait if you think you can help?

Associate
OP
Hi,

Just wanted to give an update.

Having looked at all the options given above (thank you) I noticed an eBay member who fabricated racing seats and similar.

I contacted him (eBay name dansam54) and he made me exactly what I wanted for less than half the price I was previously quoted.

If any of you need bespoke fitments for flight sim rigs or racing seats etc give him a call.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

A very happy camper :)

Back
Top Bottom