• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I wouldn't be under any illusion that the PS5 is going to be cheaper than Series X as both are being made with nigh on identical components and touted as the flagship. As ever, what will determine hardware sales is what platform peoples friends are buying and exclusives (timed or otherwise). The consoles themselves almost always lose Sony/MS money which is recouped in software/peripherals.

However, I would like to developers push timed exclusives to a trend (it would be beneficial for both Sony and MS studios to cross support platforms) as it would mean an easier choice for the gamer as people would know they only have to wait a while for it to be released on their platform of choice.

Shawrey
If they are the same price and spec I think PS5 will be the choice. Likely better games and I'll be able to play all the new Xbox games on my PC.

Soldato
I will buy both but I’m looking forward to Xbox more as MS have been buying dev company’s all over the place. I’m hoping this next gen is more about the great originals than the remastered or part 4,5 etc of whatever. I’m hopeful but can see the 4k60 remasters being the norm.....

Associate
I will buy both but I’m looking forward to Xbox more as MS have been buying dev company’s all over the place. I’m hoping this next gen is more about the great originals than the remastered or part 4,5 etc of whatever. I’m hopeful but can see the 4k60 remasters being the norm.....

Clearly identified that their exclusives were weak on this generation compared to the PS4. Ironically, it was having Halo as an exclusive on the original that gained it some fans!

Soldato
Clearly identified that their exclusives were weak on this generation compared to the PS4. Ironically, it was having Halo as an exclusive on the original that gained it some fans!

They did not have the best but what was there was decent like Forza. I think what sold the X more was that most multi platform games ran better on it. Without this feature for the next gen MS need to step it up with the exclusives. Fortunately MS have the one thing in favour that Sony don’t and that’s money to buy company’s to make it (hopefully) happen. They are also cross platform with PC too which is good.

I hope both do well as they both have games I like but can see MS pretty much going balls to the wall and Xbox One being nothing more than a warm up.....

We shall see...

Associate
CDPR have just announced acquiring rights for media in relation to the Witcher series of games from the author of the books after an awkard settlement in regards to royalties so hopefully this means a Witcher 4 game to look forward to in next gen. CDPR are known to only work on one title at a time so hopefully hear some more on W4 after Cyberpunk is released.

Shawrey

Soldato
Looking forward to seeing what PS5 brings....though tbh all they need to do is release bloodbourne 2 and il pay whatever they want for the console.

Dont see why you would get a next gen xbox if youv got a power PC given MS strategy change in recent years.

Associate
Looking forward to seeing what PS5 brings....though tbh all they need to do is release bloodbourne 2 and il pay whatever they want for the console.

Dont see why you would get a next gen xbox if youv got a power PC given MS strategy change in recent years.

Think the key will be the developers Microsoft have been acquiring.

Associate
I'm going to try and stay strong on this and not purchase.

This "gen" I purchased a ps4, xbox one then an xbox one x - and they all managed to frustrate me to the point that I went back to PC gaming as the main.

Associate
In what way did they frustrate you?

In quite a few ways :(

Poor frame rate, my 2500k did a WAY better job in every way and was pretty old at the point of buying a One X - a 10 year old CPU (bought in 2008, with the original Windows install lol) was able to murder a One X on frame rate.

Graphics / frame rate was dictated by developers, granted there was a graphics and performance mode on SOME games but I expected better graphics in performance and as I was running in performance mode all the time (when the option was available) then there was never any real justification for me to upgrade to a 4K TV.

I had to rely on MS/Sony to "upgrade" old games to better graphics or buy them again - not a fan of this at all.

I really missed the ability to tweak graphics settings to my liking.

Joypads, this beggers belief, the PS3 pad was absolute dog poo, improved a lot with the PS4 pad but I preferred the Xbox pad and couldnt use it.

Youtube was AWFUL, obviously no adblocker but when vids are interrupted by a 'x' second advert, it wears thin pretty fast.
Also, unable to see comments on a video, it makes watching long vids with timestamps a pain as I have to reference my phone for comments :(

Other apps didnt always work properly - I never got the PS4 twitch app to work over the past couple of years, not just me on this either as I found a reddit thread with many other people having difficulties.

The online stores, jesus, what an absolute slow, clunky mess (both are leaps and bounds ahead of the PS3 store though).

VR, wanted to give it a try, MS say "NO" and the cost of PS4 peripherals for VR was more than I thought was reasonable.

PS4 integrated perfectly with my TV remote, not with Xbox, I had to spend more money on another remote which just chews through batteries.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One X, you stand the chance of getting a "bad" one, that is very loud - I know the PS4 Pro was also VERY sketchy on this but I didn't own one so I won't comment!
I will add that both of my above consoles were ok for me, my PS4 was even a launch one :D

Ultimately they all feel like iphones, if you want to accept them as they are then you are ok as there is ZERO scope for going outside of what they (manufacturers or developers) want them to do.

That's all just off the top of my head.

I know that makes it sounds like I hated the console experience, I actually didn't, it's just as per my earlier comment, I found it frustrating.

They both play blu rays, so that's a bonus a guess, ended on a positive!! :D

Apologies for this brief brain dump, as I didn't want to moan although I do have a bottle of wine in my belly and a head full of cold but apart from that, Merry Christmas :D

Associate
Xmas Day. Strictly Come Dancing = Mother in Law and Wife in the living room = me being here. Slightly sozzled (hic)

Can't wait for the next gen Xbox. I still love my One X to bits - bought it last year to play RDR2 and have no regrets whatsoever.

Great for streaming Amazon & Netflix in 4k - my Mac mini 2018 can't do that (they both reside in the same room going into a 32" 4k Monitor)

Been a PC gamer since I can remember but the new gen consoles are the way forward AFAIC. My 2012 built i5 2500k / GTX1070 (G1 gaming) PC hasn't been on much at all since.

It can't run the games I play at an acceptable resolution without sounding like a full on vacuum cleaner.

I really don't miss that fan noise. And I don''t give a fig about 60fps. I'm old school. From the days when if it could run Crysis at 30 fps it was a flying machine.

OK I sometimes miss M&K controls. But that is coming soon to the Xbox..

Can't wait.

Soldato
In quite a few ways :(

Poor frame rate, my 2500k did a WAY better job in every way and was pretty old at the point of buying a One X - a 10 year old CPU (bought in 2008, with the original Windows install lol) was able to murder a One X on frame rate.

Graphics / frame rate was dictated by developers, granted there was a graphics and performance mode on SOME games but I expected better graphics in performance and as I was running in performance mode all the time (when the option was available) then there was never any real justification for me to upgrade to a 4K TV.

I had to rely on MS/Sony to "upgrade" old games to better graphics or buy them again - not a fan of this at all.

I really missed the ability to tweak graphics settings to my liking.

Joypads, this beggers belief, the PS3 pad was absolute dog poo, improved a lot with the PS4 pad but I preferred the Xbox pad and couldnt use it.

Youtube was AWFUL, obviously no adblocker but when vids are interrupted by a 'x' second advert, it wears thin pretty fast.
Also, unable to see comments on a video, it makes watching long vids with timestamps a pain as I have to reference my phone for comments :(

Other apps didnt always work properly - I never got the PS4 twitch app to work over the past couple of years, not just me on this either as I found a reddit thread with many other people having difficulties.

The online stores, jesus, what an absolute slow, clunky mess (both are leaps and bounds ahead of the PS3 store though).

VR, wanted to give it a try, MS say "NO" and the cost of PS4 peripherals for VR was more than I thought was reasonable.

PS4 integrated perfectly with my TV remote, not with Xbox, I had to spend more money on another remote which just chews through batteries.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One X, you stand the chance of getting a "bad" one, that is very loud - I know the PS4 Pro was also VERY sketchy on this but I didn't own one so I won't comment!
I will add that both of my above consoles were ok for me, my PS4 was even a launch one :D

Ultimately they all feel like iphones, if you want to accept them as they are then you are ok as there is ZERO scope for going outside of what they (manufacturers or developers) want them to do.

That's all just off the top of my head.

I know that makes it sounds like I hated the console experience, I actually didn't, it's just as per my earlier comment, I found it frustrating.

They both play blu rays, so that's a bonus a guess, ended on a positive!! :D

Apologies for this brief brain dump, as I didn't want to moan although I do have a bottle of wine in my belly and a head full of cold but apart from that, Merry Christmas :D

your complaints are things I like :)

I live iPhones because they just work without issue, even if there is no modifications.
I love consoles because once again they just work flawlessly for me, even if there are no modifications.

PC has modifications but has the same problems as other products that have modifications - the system is not as stable and it's far easier to run into software and hardware compatibility issues and these can be frustrating and take time to resolve and in 2019/2020 time is money

Soldato
I'm going to try and stay strong on this and not purchase.

This "gen" I purchased a ps4, xbox one then an xbox one x - and they all managed to frustrate me to the point that I went back to PC gaming as the main.

Agreed. Sold off my PS4 Pro a week ago and it's been a huge relief. I jumped on it initially because I fell in love with Persona 5, but quickly realised I should've just watched it on youtube & the other exclusives weren't much better either as games. Worst of all, the ones you'd actually want to play have this abysmally zoomed-in FOV where it's for people who watch their TVs from 3m+ away, where the character takes up 1/3rd of the screen. Saddest was H:ZD, which I actually enjoyed for the hours I could stomach the FOV. Bizzarely though there's games where they can't even keep 30 fps, even ones you wouldn't expect, like I got a telltale batman game with the PS+ and gave it a try and was horrified at how bad it performed. And there's nothing you can do about it. People like to sell the fact that consoles "just work" & everything's set up for you, but the flip side is that when they don't and devs don't focus on it, then you have no options unlike on PC.

Now I've got the money saved up for whatever the next GPU flagship is. Get some proper 4K RT going as well.

Soldato
It's two different markets really. As said pc gamers have an abundance of hardware / display graphics options and mods for games. If you've come from serious pc gaming to expect consoles to be just as good, I think that's a misconception. Console gaming thrived due to the casual pick up and play. There's positives and negatives to that same as pc gaming.

I sometimes feel jealous of the decent strategy and other games pc gamers get but to build another platform to game on while I barely game atm is daft.

Soldato
New details from the digital foundry video today.

Richard has some details that insiders confirmed to him.

* The GPU is 12 Teraflops of Navi with some of RDNA 2 architecture, supporting VRS and Ray Tracing clocked around 1.8ghz for now (though can move up or down see below). The chip has 8 more CUs unlocked compared to the 5700xt.

* System power draw will fall between 300w and 350w. That is roughly double what we saw in the current gen machines. Splitting out the APU, the Navi GPU would be using 200w to 250w of that, the CPU 60w to 80w and he remaining for the main board, memory, storage and IO. The final power draw figure will fall in these ranges based on the final clock speed chosen for the GPU and CPU - Microsoft is playing around with overclocking and underclocking to find the sweet spot. The new cooling solution and case can definitely handle overclocking the APU

* The new case design is 100% for cooling, the double over last gen power draw require some innovation in cooling, the internal components take up the same volume of space as the One X - the rest of the extra case volume is taken up by the cooling solution.

* Price not confirmed but expected to be a minimum of $500usd

* A cheaper less capable 4 Teraflop version of the machine will also be sold along side it's big brother with a target of achieving at least 1080p 60fps in all games but can go up to 120fps and higher than 1080p if developers target it.

* Both machines have an HDMI 2.1 controller on the board

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't Nvidia say the series X GPU won't be faster than a 2080?

They would say that though.... :D

In a years time I’m sure there will be much better available for PC gamers but tbh I don’t care anymore. I’m still really impressed with the One X and if this thing doubles that then I’m all set to be more than happy. PC’s just don’t do it for me anymore and tbh whenever I use them I always expect them to be better. Whereas the consoles impress me with what they achieve with what they have.

Saying that the videos I have seen of the new MS Flight Sim are mind boggling would love to have a simplified version on console.

Back
Top Bottom