Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Soldato
I wouldn't imagine so, I don't think they're even adding the new additions like weapons to the single player side (like they did in GTA5, at least for a little while).

Associate
OP
Not a sausage on SP content. Already mentioned above it doesn't fit in with the story narrative as RDR2 is a prequel to RDR. They could only write a spin-off of one of the characters or write something new in the same universe but wouldn't make as much sense as it did in GTA4.

Effectively, SP on GTA5 and RDR2 is just what the vanilla game had with no DLC path - I for one applaud this in some regard as it means you had the full game you paid for with the multiplayer bit tacked on for expansion.

Shawrey

Associate
So I've just started to get back in to this and thought I'd give online a try, but before I spend too much time on it I have some questions as these could be annoying:

1. If another player kills me and loots my corpse do they take everything I have and all my $$$
2. Similar, if I leave my horse parked up in town while I go for a potter around can other players steal all my goodies from my horse pouch/saddle bag thing?
3. Putting the flag up at my camp somehow defends me from bad guys, does it just make me immune to attack and also are there other safe areas, like are saloons safe too?
4. When you die, even if just falling off something, do you lose anything?
5. Is there or is there likely to be a way of just doing PVE? I once tried GTA online and it was chaos with moron griefers running around killing everyone, so hoping this doesn't turn out like that.

I'd rather know before I spend hours on it and only find out when some chump for no reason kills me.

Soldato
Finally finished the SP last night....well, finished chapter 6. I'll do the epilogues at some point.

Really enjoyed the story and characters, but found the rest of the game incredibly underwhelming. Very formulaic, standing dialogue scene, riding a horse dialogue scene, shooting gallery, riding a horse shooting gallery, dialogue scene -> repeat. Gameplay is completely uninvolving, guns are all the same. All the pointless busywork you can do, hunting, crafting, cleaning, makes zero difference to any other systems in the game. It's basically a Western TV show where you can play dress up with the main protagonist. It's very good at that. It would work just as well as a Bandersnatch style choose your own adventure Netflix show tbh.

Gets a 6.5/10 from me, because the writing, story, characters, voice acting, visuals are all top notch. Shame the game part is so weak.

Maybe the online part feels like more of a proper open world game to explore?

Soldato
I just fired this up again today, last save was November 2018... I played it for a couple of weeks on and off after release got part way through chapter 2 and lost interest.

Don't recall much of anything (hence why I accidentally punched my horse in front of a load of people within 10 seconds of booting) but can't be bothered to start over. Am sure the important story parts will come back to me.

Slow and controls like a pig but is a beautiful game, some of the outdoor environments are stunning.

Soldato
I bought it on PC. Couldn't be bothered to start again so downloaded a save game. I'm enjoying it on pc much more than I did on Xbox one X.

Anyone tried first person mode?

Soldato
Looking back on RDR2 it was an incredible experience, just not a very good game.

My desire to boot it up again is practically zero.

RDR1 on the other-hand I'd play in a heartbeat. But that doesn't feel so much like a simulator but an old GTA arcade style Western.

Soldato
Only on horseback and didn't stick with it as made me feel a bit dodgy.

Where did the save start you from? I would have done the same on PC if I didn't have my local PS4 save as I remember the first few hours being a real slog.

Originally I was going to start after the opening sequence but I really didn't want to repeat everything I'd done before fully completing the game. I found a save game for the very start of Saint Denis which is exactly where I was up to so used that.

Soldato
Didn't get hugely far with this when it first came out - just got a bit bored with all the travelling around and kind of lost the thread of the main storyline.

Have just seen that Online can be had for 4 quid at the moment and wondering if it might be a fun option to co-op with my brother. I don't have a great idea of how the online mode works, we'd probably just want to dip in and out fairly casually or play through the story together if that's possible?

Associate
So I've just started to get back in to this and thought I'd give online a try, but before I spend too much time on it I have some questions as these could be annoying:

1. If another player kills me and loots my corpse do they take everything I have and all my $$$
No, they cannot loot anything from you. If you have any animal carcasses on your horse then these could be looted.

2. Similar, if I leave my horse parked up in town while I go for a potter around can other players steal all my goodies from my horse pouch/saddle bag thing?
No, only items like an animal carcass/carcasses

3. Putting the flag up at my camp somehow defends me from bad guys, does it just make me immune to attack and also are there other safe areas, like are saloons safe too?
Players can still run in and around your camp but cannot hurt you. I think once inside a gunsmith or general store and talking to the shopkeeper, you are safe. The butcher again you have to initiate selling or buying. Bounty boards once you start to navigate the bounties.

4. When you die, even if just falling off something, do you lose anything?
No, only your pride.

5. Is there or is there likely to be a way of just doing PVE? I once tried GTA online and it was chaos with moron griefers running around killing everyone, so hoping this doesn't turn out like that.
There used to be a way to start 'private' lobbies, I'm not sure if that is still a thing these days. It would be initiated by starting certain story missions. Then just galloping off to do whatever you wanted and keeping away from the mission area until you wanted to leave, where you would complete the mission. Most if not all assets would load so you could go hunting and fishing or play cards, sell to the butcher and use shops, in your own lobby.

As an additional point I really do come across less KOS morons in this game than I used to. Towns are always areas to be wary of but on the whole I have had a lot less grief than I used to. You are always going to get some random who just can't get over the fact he has a gun and can kill you with it.

I'd rather know before I spend hours on it and only find out when some chump for no reason kills me.

Soldato
Anyone playing at the moment? I just started a new playthrough, I was about a quarter way through the campaign on PS4 but been so long I've forgotten pretty much everything so thought best to start over.

One thing I do recall is the loading times being hideous though, but thankfully on PS5 they seem much improved.

Soldato
Anyone playing at the moment? I just started a new playthrough, I was about a quarter way through the campaign on PS4 but been so long I've forgotten pretty much everything so thought best to start over.

One thing I do recall is the loading times being hideous though, but thankfully on PS5 they seem much improved.

Keen to play it again, but waiting on a 60fps patch before I jump back in.

Just started HZD for the first time thanks to the 60fps and glad I never had to endure it at 30!

Soldato
Just finished it actually on the PS5 first playthrough. Initial load from menu takes a bit of time but on death etc it's pretty swift. Framerate is so solid I didn't even feel like it was 30. Stunning game I'll remember Arthur Morgan for a long time to come.

Rockstar are wizards looks incredible at times on my OLED.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished it actually on the PS5 first playthrough. Initial load from menu takes a bit of time but on death etc it's pretty swift. Framerate is so solid I didn't even feel like it was 30. Stunning game I'll remember Arthur Morgan for a long time to come.

Rockstar are wizards looks incredible at times on my OLED.

Brilliant, I keep meaning to play a 2nd play through here, it really is a special game, maybe a little long story wise, and a few issues here and there but boy is it a fantastic open world to play in.

Soldato
I have just been playing the original via PSNow. Still enjoying the story but the graphics/fps have not aged well. I guess its down to playing a game that ran at 1152x640 on a 4K TV. I wished they would have made the original as DLC for RDR2 but I guess that's not going to happen.

Might have another playthrough of RDR2 but looks like Rockstars resources are on GTA5 PS5 upgrade so i doubt its going to get a PS5 4K/60 patch anytime soon.

Soldato
Gotta say RDR2 still looks amazing, the landscapes are gorgeous, especially the lighting at dawn and dusk.

A 60 FPS update would be nice but think very doubtful that'll be coming so not going to wait indefinitely for that.

Glad I started fresh as I'm getting into the story now (only chapter 2) but enjoying it.

Soldato
I have just been playing the original via PSNow. Still enjoying the story but the graphics/fps have not aged well. I guess its down to playing a game that ran at 1152x640 on a 4K TV. I wished they would have made the original as DLC for RDR2 but I guess that's not going to happen.

Might have another playthrough of RDR2 but looks like Rockstars resources are on GTA5 PS5 upgrade so i doubt its going to get a PS5 4K/60 patch anytime soon.
Now that RDR2 has given us a ton of backstory on John, Dutch and Bill I've been thinking about playing 1 again but I know performance will be rough so I am hesitant. Not sure I want to sour my memory of it. Be great if they gave us a remaster using RDR2 assets but who knows what Rockstar are up to outside of the GTA5 upgrade? Nice to know it's on PSNow I might grab it anyway.

Associate

If you got a Xbox, runs at 4k I think.

Soldato
I was going to ask the question, that ive not played the game for a while and wondered whether to try and continue, i'm probably about half way through, or start again?

I see others have been in the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom