How do religious people explain child mortality?

Soldato
OP
It's not my fault is it, I have no free will?

Can't really blame people for believing in myths then, since they don't have free will.

Merry Christmas, I'm off to bed.

Soldato
I had Christmas Eve dinner yesterday with a church minister and had to endure the daftest explanation of why we have Christmas crackers ever (linked to Jesus). Religious people have faith AKA blinkers and nothing you can say, show or do will dissuade them from believing in god, they can literally manipulate everything in to having something to do with god.

Caporegime
I asked for disproof first so on you go...

That isn’t how it works... also I you only believe in one god then by default you also don’t believe in the rest.

So do you believe in Odin, Thor, Apollo or Zeus for example? If not then why not?

You reasons for not believing in them might will be similar to others reasons for not believing in your god. Shouldn’t be too hard to understand - most religious people are atheists with regards to all the other gods - atheists just disbelieve in one or a few more.

Caporegime
God helps those who help themselves, some people make bad choices because of their own free will and it impacts on others. Doesn't explain birth defects in many cases though.

Obvs disabled people were just bad people before etc... all part of God’s plan.

Kid with lukemia... just a fun little “test” from god, all part of his plan.

I mean people seem to believe that or use explanations like that - surely if that were true then that makes God a massive ****.

Caporegime
Obvs disabled people were just bad people before etc... all part of God’s plan.

Kid with lukemia... just a fun little “test” from god, all part of his plan.

I mean people seem to believe that or use explanations like that - surely if that were true then that makes God a massive ****.

Who says any God isn't? There's this constant notion of some kind of benevolent deity when it could just as easily be malevolent or completely ambivalent.

Caporegime
Who says any God isn't? There's this constant notion of some kind of benevolent deity when it could just as easily be malevolent or completely ambivalent.

He’s definitely a bit of an arse in the Old Testament. The Muslim version seems to be a **** too, his “messenger” too - rapey warlord dude who you’re not allowed to draw a cartoon of. Jesus seemed OK but bit of a blind spot re: seemingly just accepting slavery.

Soldato
"Despite progress over the past two decades, in 2018 alone, an estimated 6.2 million children and young adolescents under age 15 died, mostly from preventable causes."
I keep meaning to ask the people that come knocking at my door wanting to read a Bible passage.

given the views of Thanos and most environmental campaigners there are far too many of us, so stopping child mortality is actually an atrocious sin against the world.

Back
Top Bottom