What to buy

Associate
Hi all,

I've been a PC gamer (forever), but with some of the deals around, I'm considering getting a console for the first time - either a PS4 Pro or XBox 1X or perhaps a Nintendo Switch.

I'm not a huge gamer anymore, but I'd like to try a few console games now and again. The console will be mostly for the kids, and it would be cool do do some family games as well. The kids are both girls, between 5 and 10.

I've got a 55" 4K TV.

One consideration - I have a Synology NAS with our DVD collection, which is streamed to the TV via an Nvidia Shield. Can any of these consoles replace the shield - i.e. play media to the TV from the NAS?

Thanks for any help!

Associate
Nintendo would be more attractive for the children, but don't discard the PS4 or the XBOX.
At the moment I use Universal Media Server, but that's from PC to TVs. Even an old FullHD Sony works.

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been a PC gamer (forever), but with some of the deals around, I'm considering getting a console for the first time - either a PS4 Pro or XBox 1X or perhaps a Nintendo Switch.

I'm not a huge gamer anymore, but I'd like to try a few console games now and again. The console will be mostly for the kids, and it would be cool do do some family games as well. The kids are both girls, between 5 and 10.

I've got a 55" 4K TV.

One consideration - I have a Synology NAS with our DVD collection, which is streamed to the TV via an Nvidia Shield. Can any of these consoles replace the shield - i.e. play media to the TV from the NAS?

Thanks for any help!
You'll get a range of answers, but I've got a Switch and a PS4 and it covers all my gaming needs.

I think the *general* consensus is that the PS4 has better games than the Xbox (especially if you've also got a PC) but that will obviously vary depending on who you speak with.

Pretty sure both the PS4 and Xbox will work with the NAS

Soldato
Xbox + Game Pass is a great deal if you've not played console for a while, so many good games to get through, although PS4 does have some great exclusives.

I run Plex on my NAS and the Xbox plays everything without transcoding.

Personally I would pick up a used Xbox One S, a 12-month game pass ultimate subscription (works on PC too), and that'll keep you busy until the next gen consoles launch this time next year.

Soldato
I personally don't see much point in getting an xbox, the better games are mostly on PC.

The PS4 has the best exclusives overall in my opinion, although if you've two young girls the Switch might be the best option, especially if you want to play things as a family.

Soldato
If you're switching to a console from a PC (rather than alongside it) I found the xbox one x pretty good (also being a PC gamer). The multi plats look best on it and it's quieter than the PS4 Pro (which I also had). Apart from Last of Us there's nothing that made me twitch PS4 wise but then that's personal preference. Kids would love the Switch of course.

Soldato
If you're switching to a console from a PC (rather than alongside it) I found the xbox one x pretty good (also being a PC gamer). The multi plats look best on it and it's quieter than the PS4 Pro (which I also had). Apart from Last of Us there's nothing that made me twitch PS4 wise but then that's personal preference. Kids would love the Switch of course.

I'm hoping adults like the switch too, I got one under my tree. I put some money towards it after selling my PS4 pro.

Soldato
Xbox - Game Pass offers unbeatable value (<£40/year is possible, including Xbox Live Gold). The console can play 4K Blu-Rays. And both Kodi and Plex are to take care of your streaming tasks.

PS4 - Has a better line-up of exclusive games. Also has Plex. Doesn't do 4K Blu-Rays.

Switch - Portable. Does multiplayer without needing to buy any extra controllers. Family-oriented selection of games. But it doesn't have any multimedia capabilities. And the games can be pricey.

I own all three, plus a decent gaming PC. For me, Game Pass and cheap PC games killed the PS4. If I'm in the house, I've got too much stuff to play to contemplate paying £20-£40 for a PS4 game. Only time I spend that now is when I want something for the Switch.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

Can you please explain why the switch is considered better for families and/or younger kids? Is it the type of games that are available on the platform?

Man of Honour
Thanks for all the replies.

Can you please explain why the switch is considered better for families and/or younger kids? Is it the type of games that are available on the platform?

Nintendo games are focused on either multiplayer or accessibility, often both. Indie multiplayer games are not constrained by the lower power and benefit from having 4 controllers by just buying the switch and one additional set of joycons.

If I was starting console games from scratch I'd get a cheap Xbox and game pass.

Soldato
If I was starting console games from scratch I'd get a cheap Xbox and game pass.

Same.

You can nab three years of Xbox Live Gold for as low as £75 and then upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate for £1. So for £76 you're getting three years of Xbox Live Gold, and Game Pass for both Xbox and PC. So that's ~£250 total for an Xbox One S with online subscription and a library of over 100 games, or ~£350 for the X.

Best bargain in gaming. The equivalent PS4 with 3 years of PS+ costs more.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I won't be jumping on the news consoles for a while so upgraded my Ps4 to a Ps4 Pro then accidentally nabbed an xbobx one x lol.

The ultimate game pass is daft to pass up for the money you can get it for

Soldato
I won't be jumping on the news consoles for a while so upgraded my Ps4 to a Ps4 Pro then accidentally nabbed an xbobx one x lol.

The ultimate game pass is daft to pass up for the money you can get it for
What's the easiest way to upgrade the PS4? Cloud save everything then reinstall / redownload the games?

Soldato
If you have a decent PC you will have access to most of the games you can play in the Xbox and PS4 so I would discount those. Plus you have 2 daughters at those ages, ga switch, get a few games like mario kart, mario party, Pokémon (if they are into it), splatoon and others and it will make a great introduction for them to gaming. There are also some great exclusives for yourself, like Zelda, astral chain, fire emblem three houses plus you can play in the couch or on the go.

Can't type for toffee
Don
What's the easiest way to upgrade the PS4? Cloud save everything then reinstall / redownload the games?

Yeah I had nobother with mine, Yoy can copy from one to another using ethernet I think but as I traded mine in coudlnt do that.

The current offer form game of 129.99 and an old PSf for a PS4 Pro Death stranding edition is great.

Back
Top Bottom