**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
I think Xmas is a particularly tough time of the year if you're having issues. There's this expectation you should be happy and full of "Xmas spirit"! If you're not feeling great pretending to be having a good time so as not to disappoint family can really take its toll :(

Hang in there everyone. I find things get easier in January after Xmas and New year :cool:

Soldato
I'm feeling not so bad at the moment :). Have had a stressful day today but better than what I was a few weeks ago. (I can't remember if I mentioned on here but I got signed off work at the start of Dec for just over a week as I was getting heart palpitations) they have calmed down now except for a little episode the other day. It's mainly my tiredness effecting me but that's also down to me needing to get back into a decent sleep pattern.

I do also find I put a lot of pressure on myself and I'm trying to break that habit. (She says after spending ages this evening trying to do a Black Forest cake for tomorrow :o)

I'm determined to 'iron out' some things once and for all though. 2020 has got to be my year :)

Merry Christmas everyone x

Soldato
@MOOGLEYS

Have you considered going to the doctor or hospital about the symptoms you described to rule out a cardiac (heart) problem?

Have been a few times to hospital for this and my stoma. I had chest pains a few weeks back and had tests done inc ECG & blood etc and all was fine other than my sodium was a bit low. They suspected it was a form of panic attack.

It all became worse after my ileostomy surgery and coming of steroids to quickly. They think it’s a chemical imbalance in my body and much a slower taper is required. I’m now tapering 1mg every 7 weeks.

Soldato
That's one relief - it not being a heart attack.

Yeah sometimes I wish it was something causing it rather than just anxiety. I’m always looking for a cause and overthinking which makes it worse. I need to understand that it’s going to happen and sometimes their might not be a cause. I struggle with that tbh.

Soldato
Afew decades back I was very bad with anxiety, too much time on my hands was an enemy then suddenly massive panic that wouldn't end.
I was given a. Beta blocker not sure if they would do that now but it literally wouldn't allow the rapid heart beat reaction and helped break the cycle as did meating someone. And having a family
Big thing is you might have only one life and to do something you want to do, mine was a little dream to live where my caravan was and be able to surf in my spare time.
Get very low mood now and again but don't fight it, head to the beach and watch the wildlife

Caporegime
These next two days are going to be a real test of mental fortitude. My head is already spinning and stomach churning and I've only been up an hour. :( Good luck to everybody. You can do it!

Soldato
I'm determined to 'iron out' some things once and for all though. 2020 has got to be my year :)

Merry Christmas everyone x

Having read some of your previous posts I hope so!

Merry Christmas everyone! I know that today can be really tough for people but try to hang in there and have the best Christmases you can...

Soldato
These next two days are going to be a real test of mental fortitude. My head is already spinning and stomach churning and I've only been up an hour. :( Good luck to everybody. You can do it!

I don't normally get stressed about Xmas but the Anxiety is not helping this year. Stay strong and take each day/hour as it comes is what I'm doing. Stay strong everyone.....

Don
Worst day of my life, today.

Take care of yourself.

Hopefully you're not alone, but if you are then find something to do - read a book, watch movies, play guitar - anything to keep your mind busy.

It's difficult for sure but you can do it.

I'm fortunate in that my meds seem to be helping with my S.A.D, but the usual Christmas arguments are almost pushing my buttons.

Well wishes to you and anyone else struggling today.

Soldato
Yeah sometimes I wish it was something causing it rather than just anxiety. I’m always looking for a cause and overthinking which makes it worse. I need to understand that it’s going to happen and sometimes their might not be a cause. I struggle with that tbh.
That's the thing with anxiety, it can happen when you least expect it and for no logical reason, which in itself makes you anxious... It's a tough one. Out of interest are you medicated for it? i.e. pregabalin, gabapentin etc

Soldato
Worst day of my life, today.
Hang in there pal. Sadly for some of us it's "simply" a case of trying to get through the day with as little upset as possible.

I'm feeling OK this year probably because we've spent much of the last few days with friends who have a young family. It actually takes my mind off my own worries to go and hang with a family being normal. A bit fly on the wall. Keep the tea flowing.

Whatever is best for you, don't feel shame in doing that today. Hugs to all.

Soldato
That's the thing with anxiety, it can happen when you least expect it and for no logical reason, which in itself makes you anxious... It's a tough one. Out of interest are you medicated for it? i.e. pregabalin, gabapentin etc

I’m currently on 10mg Escitalopram. I’m also doing a slow Prednisolone taper which does not help things...

Soldato
I’m currently on 10mg Escitalopram. I’m also doing a slow Prednisolone taper which does not help things...
Prednisolone can cause some odd side effects indeed, and with your natural anxiety those side effects could possibly be exaggerated. Cipralex is a good choice, perhaps when you've tapered off the former you'll naturally feel better, if not, pregabalin can be an effective booster.

None of it is easy and it's definitely a time thing, things will get better, best of luck with everything :)

Back
Top Bottom