Associate
I don’t know what everyone else thinks of pureVPN but a while ago I shared a sub and got 3 years for a tenner. So they may be worth a look.

Associate
Well, that's PIA finished. They've sold out to an Israeli company with a history of shady business practices.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/cyberghost-owner-buys-pia-for-dollar955m-to-create-vpn-giant
https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/dz3i3y/do_we_now_have_a_potential_vpn_criminal/
Shame really as I had a year left on my sub. Off to Mullvad I go.

Have around 18 months left on my PIA sub, so will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Mullvad does look interesting though.

Associate
Could anyone recommend a VPN service, i'll be using both IOS and Windows devices, my new job means i'm travelling all over the world, countries including Brazil and South Africa and i need to connect back to the UK, for online banking etc.. Thanks

Caporegime
Could anyone recommend a VPN service, i'll be using both IOS and Windows devices, my new job means i'm travelling all over the world, countries including Brazil and South Africa and i need to connect back to the UK, for online banking etc.. Thanks

Paid or free?

I've just bought this after many recommendations from reddit:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/windscribe-vpn-pro-3-yr-subscription

Three year subscription, and then got the price down to $36 by using the code BFSAVE40 at checkout.

It has a Windows and iOS app, etc.

However, if you're only going to be using it for a few things then I think they offer a free version on their website. https://windscribe.com/

Soldato
mullvad is great but i have a problem, anyone know the solution ?

when using mullvad though my asus router it changes my ipv4 address to mullvads servers
but when probing what is my ip : my correct ipv6 address is showing up ? a002:83940:4a:0:3c43:60de:5xxc:d9xx

obviously this means that i cant use this VPN provider ? or is there way to also hide your ipv6 address ?

Soldato
Well, that's PIA finished. They've sold out to an Israeli company with a history of shady business practices.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/cyberghost-owner-buys-pia-for-dollar955m-to-create-vpn-giant

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/dz3i3y/do_we_now_have_a_potential_vpn_criminal/

Shame really as I had a year left on my sub. Off to Mullvad I go.

They were finished for me long before that, and certainly by the time they hired the Mt Gox ex-CEO after all the Bitcoin was stolen in mysterious circumstances.

mullvad is great but i have a problem, anyone know the solution ?

when using mullvad though my asus router it changes my ipv4 address to mullvads servers
but when probing what is my ip : my correct ipv6 address is showing up ? a002:83940:4a:0:3c43:60de:5xxc:d9xx

obviously this means that i cant use this VPN provider ? or is there way to also hide your ipv6 address ?

It sounds like you have an IPv4 only WireGuard config, which means your (Linux) Asus router is only set to use Mullvad as the default route for, naturally enough, IPv4 traffic. The existing IPv6 address remains open to the Internet (if you have an IP6 capable ISP). Check the .conf and see whether there's IP6 stuff in there (Peer address, Endpoint address, DNS etc). If not re-generate a proper/full config at Mullvad and use that. You can also always disable IPv6 on the router if required.

maj

maj

Soldato
Does anyone know if Mullvad or Express bypass iPlayer and Netflix? Will probably be moving to one of these next. Nord struggled with those in my experience.

Soldato
Does anyone know if Mullvad or Express bypass iPlayer and Netflix? Will probably be moving to one of these next. Nord struggled with those in my experience.

It’s a constant game of cat and mouse with all VPN providers, other options exist that are more reliable including running your own end point.

Associate
Which VPN you folks are using? Was using ExpressVPN for a month, didn't like that it don't allow my phone to update app's during the night, or to download anything from g/play... (had to dissable it to update it and download anything). Thinking of trying NordVPN, or is there anything else worth trying? ***no talk like that here please***

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Which VPN you folks are using? Was using ExpressVPN for a month, didn't like that it don't allow my phone to update app's during the night, or to download anything from g/play... (had to dissable it to update it and download anything). Thinking of trying NordVPN, or is there anything else worth trying? ***no talk like that here please***

Used airvpn for so many years after a friend recommended them they had been with them since first launching

It's a shame you didnt ask few days ago it was almost 50% off for black Friday on the higher length packages but still worth it even at current prices

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve used IPVanish for over a year with a 300Mbps fttp connection. When I use the VPN then my Speedtest drops to around 80Mbps which is still good but a significant drop.

Is that a normal reduction in performance? Is there anything I could do with my router to improve things? My router is the RT-AX92U

Soldato
I’ve used IPVanish for over a year with a 300Mbps fttp connection. When I use the VPN then my Speedtest drops to around 80Mbps which is still good but a significant drop.

Is that a normal reduction in performance? Is there anything I could do with my router to improve things? My router is the RT-AX92U

From where are you connecting the VPN? Is it running directly off the router? If so, there's your issue. You can expect full line speed with a decent VPN provider, and protocol, on proper hardware. I get 540 Mbps using WireGuard on my desktop (and my x86 router).

What protocol are you using to connect (OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, WireGuard etc)? Be aware IPVanish aren't known for being very private or very reliable... If you're not tied into a long contract you may wish to shop around.

Associate
From where are you connecting the VPN? Is it running directly off the router? If so, there's your issue. You can expect full line speed with a decent VPN provider, and protocol, on proper hardware. I get 540 Mbps using WireGuard on my desktop (and my x86 router).

What protocol are you using to connect (OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, WireGuard etc)? Be aware IPVanish aren't known for being very private or very reliable... If you're not tied into a long contract you may wish to shop around.

im running IPVanish on my Nvidia Shield not through the router and it’s Open VPN (UDP) port 1194.

that’s odd, I’ve downloaded the app to my phone and connected using my phone and I’m getting about a 40 meg drop which is way better than I get with the app on nvidia shield where it drops by over 200 meg so it looks like it’s the shield or the app that’s the problem.

can I start a vpn outside the shield that covers all my devices at once?

Last edited:
Soldato

Think you need to give us a little lesson.. I'm a Nord VPN customer don't use it that often but a better solution for P2P would be good.
I have
a Unifi USG that I have no idea why.. apart from pretty graphs

Soldato
im running IPVanish on my Nvidia Shield not through the router and it’s Open VPN (UDP) port 1194.

that’s odd, I’ve downloaded the app to my phone and connected using my phone and I’m getting about a 40 meg drop which is way better than I get with the app on nvidia shield where it drops by over 200 meg so it looks like it’s the shield or the app that’s the problem.

can I start a vpn outside the shield that covers all my devices at once?

OpenVPN is single threaded and very CPU intensive (and runs in user space). In other words, no wonder your speeds are awful. If it really truly must cover all devices, then build an x86 router with a high per-core speed (i.e. repurpose a normal small PC as a router using Linux). Switching to an in-kernel accelerated protocol like WireGuard (on Linux) will also help massively. As I said, I get 540 megs or so on mine, which is basically the limit of the underlying Virgin connection.

Think you need to give us a little lesson.. I'm a Nord VPN customer don't use it that often but a better solution for P2P would be good.
I have
a Unifi USG that I have no idea why.. apart from pretty graphs

NordVPN are shady, for various reasons. Ask for a refund and get a VPN that is more privacy conscious such as Mullvad, AzireVPN, VPN.ac or similar. You can use WireGuard, OpenVPN or IPSec on USG, but only the first will have acceleration and operate in kernel space (as per reply above). It's still only a small CPU though so don't expect much. Better to connect each device individually if possible, on an ad hoc basis.

Soldato
While Rainmakers advice is spot on, just to throw a curve ball in, if you have a slower connection and a docker capable environment, a suitable VPN docker with Privoxy proxy software will allow you to run your VPN on potentially more suitable/capable hardware and just point each client device at it, you can even run multiple docker containers with different end points for different clients. Running openVPN on a consumer grade router without hardware acceleration or running direct on a relatively low powered device, even a Shield isn't going to be near line speed.

Soldato
I would only really need a decent VPN on one machine.
I've had/Still got PIA, NordVpn, PureVpn. Which is good enough to hide location etc.

I'm on Virgin 500meg

I will google most of those words you used...lol

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Wow I am way out of touch in the world of VPNs and routers, was unaware NordVPN was dodgy let alone Virgin had 500meg bb and 1gig I see now.

And is Wireshark the new norm for routers? last time I checked pfsense and latest model Asus routers were the talk or maybe they don't cut it for 500meg bb!?

Back
Top Bottom