*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Cheer up! An AP-AC-Pro wouldn’t help. A UAP-HDNano would though. In terms of mounting holes they are all covered up by the Access Point, so drilling one or two more (they’re only held up by two or three screws) wont make any mess you can’t clear up with a vacuum cleaner.

Oh, that's interesting to hear about the HD Nano. Apparently it shares the same mounting bracket as the AP AC Lite so it could be an easy swap - https://community.ui.com/questions/...9#answer/23c6e8ad-df47-4bb7-a2d0-c978af06aa3d

Thanks for the help :)

Soldato
Would a ubiquity AP be right for my needs?
I would (potentially) like to put our 4G router in the loft so that I can attach an external aerial and using a POE injector connect an AP in the centre of our house.
The rest of the set up is a DVR and R-Pi both connected via ethernet, and powerline adapter to my PC in the rear bedroom. If the router was in the loft then I can also connect my PC to it via ethernet and eliminate the need for a powerline adapter.

What are people's thoughts on this? The house is an old 2up/2 down.

[edit] I also have a 5 port gigabit switch (tl-sg1005d) available to use.
The issue is that I can boost my connection speed with an external antenna, and where it is currently placed at the front of the house means that I cannot get a good signal at the rear of the house.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seams reasonable, you might not even need an AP if you the new router position covers the whole house. If you do get one, mount the it on the ceiling at the top of the stairs.

One thing you haven't mentioned is having power in the loft.

Soldato
Seams reasonable, you might not even need an AP if you the new router position covers the whole house. If you do get one, mount the it on the ceiling at the top of the stairs.

One thing you haven't mentioned is having power in the loft.

That's a good point, I have just assumed it wouldn't be good enough. I'll test it first.
I currently have an extension lead ran up there as a temporary solution until we can get an electrician in to wire a proper outlet, it's used for the CCTV DVR which already up there.

Thanks for replying.

[edit] router is a Huawei b535, it looses a small amount of signal with the distance between downstairs and the loft.

Last edited:
Soldato
Morning all

Hope we had a good Xmas?

I tried to update my v1 cloud key firmware via my iPhone a few days back and now I can’t connect to it via the app, it can see the controller online but it’s like it’s a new controller and wants to run a setup wizard? Gets to “requesting SDP offer” and bombs out, I’ve unplugged it from the Poe switch not sure what I can do next? Any advice would be great :)

ph1owzu.png
GeXxyom.png
poAfiBy.png

Soldato
Hopefully you made a backup of your settings before you did the update?

If so, pull the SD card and reformat it. Then reset the Cloud Key using the ‘paperclip in the hole’ method then when it comes back up connect to it directly ‘Set up Cloud Key’ and when prompted, restore the Cloud Jey from the backup file that should be stored on your PC.

if you didn’t make a backup then it’s the same process but you’ll need to re-input all your controller settings into the Cloud Key after its been reset.

Soldato
Hopefully you made a backup of your settings before you did the update?

If so, pull the SD card and reformat it. Then reset the Cloud Key using the ‘paperclip in the hole’ method then when it comes back up connect to it directly ‘Set up Cloud Key’ and when prompted, restore the Cloud Jey from the backup file that should be stored on your PC.

if you didn’t make a backup then it’s the same process but you’ll need to re-input all your controller settings into the Cloud Key after its been reset.
Ok thanks, I set it up months ago to do a weekly backup so I’ll pop the SD card out and reset the device pop the SD card back in and restore the last good backup?

Soldato
The backups should be saved on your local machine, not the Cloud Key. The reason the Cloud Key isn’t restarting is because the Mongo.db database file on the SD card is corrupt. You can try to just delete Mongo.db and that might work, but it’s much more likely you’ll need to format the SD card.

Soldato
The backups should be saved on your local machine, not the Cloud Key. The reason the Cloud Key isn’t restarting is because the Mongo.db database file on the SD card is corrupt. You can try to just delete Mongo.db and that might work, but it’s much more likely you’ll need to format the SD card.
Oh I assumed the backups would push to the SD card and I could restore from there, thought that was the point of a cloud key ... maybe I was incorrect

Soldato
Oh I assumed the backups would push to the SD card and I could restore from there, thought that was the point of a cloud key ... maybe I was incorrect

The Cloud Key is a PoE powered Linux computer that runs the controller 24/7 so you can access it from anywhere. The SD card is widely known to be the Achilles heel of the device as corruption of the Mongo.db database is the No.1 cause of failures during use (if you kill the power suddenly) and updates.

That’s why the Cloud Key v2.0 has a battery to make the shut-down civilised in the event of a power-cut and built-in non-volatile memory for the controller itself.

I know it’s shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, but next time you do an update, save that backup to your local machine beforehand as, as is possible in this case, the SD card is corrupted, then you don’t have a backup.

Soldato
Unifi AP's

Do they MESH now? I have 2 restaurants, 1 is underground directly beneath the other. The underground site has really poor internet speed 17/1up, But upstairs has 300 fibre.
I can't connect them both as that would mean drilling through 17" of reinforced concrete. However as there are two sections of glass floor we can share wifi (just)

I need to have access to our CCTV from the underground site and I'm thinking a couple of Unifi AP's that MESH would enable me to add one upstairs and one downstairs which would be on the same switch as the CCTV. Then I could do away with the Internet provider from downstairs too and share the 300mb fibre line from upstairs.

Can anyone see any initial issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unifi AP's

Do they MESH now? I have 2 restaurants, 1 is underground directly beneath the other. The underground site has really poor internet speed 17/1up, But upstairs has 300 fibre.
I can't connect them both as that would mean drilling through 17" of reinforced concrete. However as there are two sections of glass floor we can share wifi (just)

I need to have access to our CCTV from the underground site and I'm thinking a couple of Unifi AP's that MESH would enable me to add one upstairs and one downstairs which would be on the same switch as the CCTV. Then I could do away with the Internet provider from downstairs too and share the 300mb fibre line from upstairs.

Can anyone see any initial issues.

They do indeed mesh, and given what you’ve said, I’d say drill a hole through the 17” of reinforced concrete. Take the pain now for ease later. Once you mesh the access points everything runs at half-duplex so a 300Mbps access point now only runs at 150Mbps and then you say you can ‘just’ pass WLAN across the glass floor so you’ll probably find that 17Mbps feels quick in comparison to the meshed speed of the access points ‘just’ making contact with each other.

I’m sure if you look hard enough there will be a service duct between the two areas. There always is.

Associate
Anyone had problems trying to purchase products from the Ubiquiti Europe website?

Purchased a USW-16 from Ubiquiti Europe, with a USG from the Rainforest. Then saw the UDM, and bought that instead from Ubiquiti Europe. Tried to cancel the USW-16 but keep being told the Support team from Ubiquiti will get the EU store team to assist, who then claim the order number is not one that they recognise. Non existent customer support. I have now raised a PayPal complaint, and also thinking of cancelling the UDM and buying from somewhere else! (any alternative recommendations to buy from?)

/end of rant :)

Last edited:
Associate
(any alternative recommendations to buy from?)

I normally use Ubiquiti UK distributors/master resellers as per the list on the Ubiquiti site.

As OcUK sell some Ubiquiti kit I won't say which ones, but I've used three so far and all have been fine with sales and customer service although I've never tried to cancel an order (just a few DOA and in warranty failures).

Soldato
Anyone had problems trying to purchase products from the Ubiquiti Europe website?

Purchased a USW-16 from Ubiquiti Europe, with a USG from the Rainforest. Then saw the UDM, and bought that instead from Ubiquiti Europe. Tried to cancel the USW-16 but keep being told the Support team from Ubiquiti will get the EU store team to assist, who then claim the order number is not one that they recognise. Non existent customer support. I have now raised a PayPal complaint, and also thinking of cancelling the UDM and buying from somewhere else! (any alternative recommendations to buy from?)

/end of rant :)

Let it play out, then return the unwanted item(s) under DSR. As far as I can see, almost no-one has stock of the UDM.

Back
Top Bottom