• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX5700XT 85 Degrees

Associate
Hi,

Just finished a gaming build today and put in a MSI RX5700XT OC MECH graphics card.

I let a game run on it for about 20mins but noticed the temperature was going to 85 degree.

Is this not extremely high? I ran the same game on my old RX580 and I only get around 75 degree on the same settings.

Is the card ok or is there any sort of fan curve settings etc I should be changing? All settings are default.

Dont want him having issues down the line.

Cheers

Caporegime
Card will be fine at that temps. Is it a blower card as they’re hot and noisy and always have been.

some people have had luck tweaking the fan curve in Afterburner and undervolting the card as well.

Permabanned
Hi,

Well, normally 85°C for the GPU is too much.

Temps-MSI-RX-5700-XT.png

It can reach over 80°C on the memory chips, though:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro-special-edition/32.html

Associate
OP
Ok, if I need to "underclock" the card to reduce the temperatures then how do I do that? I have given the PC away (xmas present) so I will need to pass on information how to do it.

Associate
OP
Thanks,

I told him to play some games tomorrow for around 20mins and tell me what the temps are at.

I read up some stuff saying 85 is normal for these cards but safe as its how they are made, they are made to be hot? :S

However for safety I would rather he got a longer life out of the card (which seems weird for stock settings).

Also after looking at that video he has the new AMD 2020 Adrenaline , so settings are different.

Soldato
I think it is either:
a) his case has poor airflow
b) the mounting pressure of the cooler on his card is not enough/as much as it should be, thus the contact is not as good and temp are high

Associate
OP
I think its a "known" thing for these cards. Searching about a bit found a lot of people saying the same thing.

But.. AMD said 85 degrees on these cards is normal and expected which is worrying lol.

I told him to either try enabling Auto Undervolting or change his fan curves by adding 10% more and see if that helps.

The case he has only has two fans in it currently so that could be an issue, but surely the card solo should be a lot lower regardless. Hes only running Star Wars for about 15mins to test temps.

Soldato
Hi,

Just finished a gaming build today and put in a MSI RX5700XT OC MECH graphics card.

I let a game run on it for about 20mins but noticed the temperature was going to 85 degree.

Is this not extremely high? I ran the same game on my old RX580 and I only get around 75 degree on the same settings.

Is the card ok or is there any sort of fan curve settings etc I should be changing? All settings are default.

Dont want him having issues down the line.

Cheers

Undervolt the card and set PowerLimit to 0. 1067mv at 1850Mhz is the sweet spot even for reference.
Use the drivers new fan curve, not MSI AB crap.

Soldato
Card will be fine at that temps. Is it a blower card as they’re hot and noisy and always have been.

some people have had luck tweaking the fan curve in Afterburner and undervolting the card as well.

No is not but well, who cares of the opinion those having the cards yes? Regardless how many owners have posted that the new blower used on Navi isn't noisy like the GTX1080/Ti or the Vega 64 their opinion is irrelevant because they haven't shoved a microphone at the exhaust capturing the turbulance of the air, that isn't heard by the human ear until the ear is directly on the airflow.

Associate
That is pretty hot I'd take the side off the case and see if the temps lower. if they don't then there is a most likely a mounting issue. I'd RMA the card if the temps don't decrease with the side off.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I think its a "known" thing for these cards. Searching about a bit found a lot of people saying the same thing.

But.. AMD said 85 degrees on these cards is normal and expected which is worrying lol.

What's worrying? If the cards have been designed to operate at that temperature then what's the issue?

Associate
OP
Because the info wasnt officially from AMD, I can't seem to find the safe operating temps on their website.

And like all the information elsewhere its like this thread, mixed opinions lol.

Just don't want him having a GPU that degrades rapidly because of these high temps.

Caporegime
I seem to remember that the R290 cards were designed to run even hotter (94C). The reference cards/cheaper models usually do run hot.

Check out some temp stats on Hardware Unboxed or Gamers Nexus.

I recall the MSI card in the OP being reviewed on Hardware Unboxed.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Mech OC should not reach 85C unless running furmark. Average should be around 67C in gaming according to most reviews. I reckon case cooling is bad or the thermal paste is not applied properly. Send it back if it still gets to 80C with case open.

Associate
OP
It was the GPU Temp showing on the AMD Radeon software stats (top right CTRL SHFT O).

I will ask him to take side panel off and run game again.. See if it shows as 80 deg).

I dont see it being faulty as every youtube video I watch of this card people say theres reaches 84-85, some say they undervolted or used different fan curves to get it below 80.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Done a bit of tinkering today.. here was the results:

Stock settings/fan curves etc, started Star Wars Fallen Jedi for 10mins - Temp reached 85 degree
Same as above but took the side panel off - Temp reached 75-77 degree.

In the Phantek P350X there was only 1 intake fan and I fitted an extra 1 exhaust fan on the rear, possibility to add more fans in future but right now will see about tweaking the GPU.

I then tried some fan curve suggestions online, got the temp down to 74 degree but the noise was horrendous at 3000RPM lol.

Tried reducing the curve but temps would slowly creep back up to 80's.

Then decided to try undervolting. Used the "Auto Undervolt" feature and was hit with a "software has crashed" error. Last night we tried auto undervolting which never crashed but when starting fortnite I got a black screen and had to manually reboot the PC.

On to manually undervolting…

Was told to change it from 2019MHz to 1900MHz and the voltage from 1199mV to 1100mV. Also changed the max fan curve to 45%.

Results came in at 80 degree max and fan at 1800RPM.

In terms of performance loss I don't think there was much.

We then tried 1900MHz and reduced voltage to 1000mV to see if it would still be stable and how much it reduced the temps and RPM too. This crashed in the Tomb Raider benchmark.

We then upped it to 1050mV which ran a little but then black screened.

So we know 1900 @ 1100 seem stable. Passes the Tomb Raider benchmark and also had Fornite running for a bit. Told him to test it in gaming for a while and keep an eye on temperatures. We will also run a Superposition benchmark to check stability.

If this passes then our next step would be either upping MHz in 25 increments to see how high we can get it to run on the 1100mV. After that we would just alter the fan curve slightly till the maximum was at a bearable noise which should lower the 80 degree we get currently.

Would 80 degree be acceptable or should we lower the MHz even more to drop the mV and get even more reduction in temps?

Back
Top Bottom