• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2060 poor performance

Associate
Hi guys

I’ve got a strange one. I just upgraded my sons gpu from a 970 to a 2060 super and everything is way worse. Oculus rift it glitchy and cod mw is stuttery even at low settings. I put the 970 back in and it’s glitching with that now as well. The only other thing I changed was the monitor and drivers.

i3 8100
8gb memory
Samsung ssd
AOC Q3279
Superflower 550

I tried reinstalling different drivers but made no difference. I’m on the verge of doing a full reinstall unless anyone has any ideas?

thanks
Gwyn

Permabanned
As a last resort before a full format try DDU.

I've had this twice in my PC time (2001 till now) and it was not even going from Nvidia to AMD or vice versa it was Nvidia to Nvidia and in the end I had to format and clean install as it was no doubt a Windows thing but this was a good few OS ago so probably XP-Vista days.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
DDU is a good idea. Had issues recently switching between a 750 and a 1050Ti and I thought there was something wrong with the card as performance was awful, then noticed the GPU memory clock was staying at 2D speeds even when gaming. Only thing that fixed it was doing a full DDU and fresh driver install.

Ree

Ree

Associate
have you set the monitors refresh rate in windows and also enabled freesync/gsync compatible in nvidia control panel?

Associate
OP
Right I’ve ran DDU and installed new drivers. The 970 is now working perfectly so now going to change to the 2060. I’ve tried enabling freesync but can’t find the settings for it. What should the refresh rate be?

Associate
OP
Why are you trying to fix the 970. Safe mode. Uninstall drivers. Ddu. Shut down. Remove 970. Install 2060. Reboot. Install new drivers.

just to test it. 970 was fine, upgraded to 2060 and all this issue started then went back to 970 and still having issues. Now 970 is fine so will try 2060 later

Associate
OP
Just tried with the 2060 and loads of lag in game. Also a load of whine coming from the card. Going to try it in my machine and see if I get the same results

Associate
OP
Permabanned
I know it would seem the GPU if the 970 does not do this it but it can be the new GPU causing the PSU to do it.

Roll up paper like a tube (or a Smarties tube) and try pinpoint the noise.

Associate
OP
I know it would seem the GPU if the 970 does not do this it but it can be the new GPU causing the PSU to do it.

Roll up paper like a tube (or a Smarties tube) and try pinpoint the noise.

Will try it. Just tried it in my pc and its perfect and silent.

Soldato
I’m on the verge of doing a full reinstall unless anyone has any ideas?
I always normally find this is by far the quickest way instead of spending hours trying to fix a fault..

As it normally only takes me around an 1 hour to backup my stuff ,install windows, windows updates , install drivers, install my normal other stuff

Associate
OP
I always normally find this is by far the quickest way instead of spending hours trying to fix a fault..

As it normally only takes me around an 1 hour to backup my stuff ,install windows, windows updates , install drivers, install my normal other stuff
It’s getting to that point

Back
Top Bottom