LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
My guess , a 38gl950g with an updated stand and hdr 600 , gsync , 175 hz native with a 200hz OC

38GL950G already has G-Sync. Do you mean that 38GN950 will also have G-Sync module, but with VRR and Adaptive-Sync support?

And the preliminary data says that it will have 160 Hz max refresh rate (native). But I could be wrong interpreting info from LG's press release.

Associate
38GL950G already has G-Sync. Do you mean that 38GN950 will also have G-Sync module, but with VRR and Adaptive-Sync support?

And the preliminary data says that it will have 160 Hz max refresh rate (native). But I could be wrong interpreting info from LG's press release.
Yes that's what I meant . I'm just speculating I may or may not be right but i'm certain it will be at least hdr 600 with gsync.

If a freesync version came out as well it might even be hdr 1000 :o

Man of Honour
My guess , a 38gl950g with an updated stand and hdr 600 , gsync , 175 hz native with a 200hz OC

we already have information about the FreeSync version of the 38GL950G which will be the 38WN95C. That isn’t expected until H2 next year but has same panel, adaptive sync, 144Hz refresh rate and HDR600. More info here

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/l...l-3840-x-1600-144hz-adaptive-sync-and-hdr600/
LG are making use of the updated HDR600 compatible panel from LG Display for that one, but there is no HDR1000 version on their roadmap at the moment I know that. There’s also no 175Hz native version of this panel planned. It’s 144Hz native and the 175Hz is only possible on the 960G via an overclock because of the added Gsync module. That’s why the 95C will be 144Hz only

in terms of the 34GN950 the only specs we have so far are HDR600, 160Hz (slight overclock from native 144Hz) and 1ms Nano IPS panel. That will be an adaptive sync model I’m sure as it doesn’t have a G on the end of the name and the low overclock also backs that up. LG were def promoting their 95C more in recent news pieces which suggests to me that it will be the more premium flagship of the two. Perhaps this other one will have more basic design and features. Unclear at the moment

Associate
we already have information about the FreeSync version of the 38GL950G which will be the 38WN95C. That isn’t expected until H2 next year but has same panel, adaptive sync, 144Hz refresh rate and HDR600. More info here

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/l...l-3840-x-1600-144hz-adaptive-sync-and-hdr600/
LG are making use of the updated HDR600 compatible panel from LG Display for that one, but there is no HDR1000 version on their roadmap at the moment I know that. There’s also no 175Hz native version of this panel planned. It’s 144Hz native and the 175Hz is only possible on the 960G via an overclock because of the added Gsync module. That’s why the 95C will be 144Hz only

in terms of the 34GN950 the only specs we have so far are HDR600, 160Hz (slight overclock from native 144Hz) and 1ms Nano IPS panel. That will be an adaptive sync model I’m sure as it doesn’t have a G on the end of the name and the low overclock also backs that up. LG were def promoting their 95C more in recent news pieces which suggests to me that it will be the more premium flagship of the two. Perhaps this other one will have more basic design and features. Unclear at the moment

I meant a Freesync/Gsync compatible version of the 38GN950 could be HDR 1000.

I am tempted by the 38WN95C with the HDR 600 but losing the dedicated gsync module is quite a trade off especially as these resolutions.. what would you personally go for out of the 38WN95C VS 38GL950G out of what we know so far?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In my post above I meant the 38GN950 by the way with those specs. Hope that was obvious anyway.
Re choosing between 38GL950G and 38WN95C, that’s almost impossible to answer right now as one is barely released (not in the UK at all) and the other is probably 9-12 months away. I should have access to the former at some point in near future for testing at least, but I expect for many people it will probably come down to whether you want to wait another year ish or not :)

Associate
Long time lurker, first post.

I notice there is some confusion between the 38GN950 and the 38WN95C and lots of speculation. No need to speculate, LG announced the specs themselves on the 19th.

The 38GN950 is the Freesync version of the just released 38GL950G. The difference is the that is has HDR600 w/ edge lit lighting and does not OC to 175. While it's not clear, its implied it can OC to 160 like the 27" version. The wording is weird.

The 38WN95C is not an 'UltraGear' series like the GN and GL 950, but part of their regular 'Ultrawide series' marketed more towards business and productivity. It uses the same panel but it is locked at 144hz and does not OC at all. It also includes Thunderbolt.

I was really close to buying the 38GL950G after following it everyday since this time last year. I hope to GOD LG does not take a year to release these, considering they are the same panel, they should come out sooner. $1499 or less please, NO G-Sync module, should be cheaper~

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2019/12/lg-2020-ultra-monitors-ideal-for-professionals-and-gamers-alike/

Man of Honour
That news piece says only the following about the 38GN950 - it has a 1ms G2G response time, 160Hz overclocked refresh rate, HDR600 and an upgraded stand. That’s all it says, it does not confirm FreeSync or Gsync support type. It would seem logical that it would be the adaptive sync version of the 950G but that’s an assumption at the moment. They didn’t provide much in the way of specs for that one sadly

Associate
" HDR compatible and is NVIDIA G-SYNC® Compatible, offering variable rate refresh and adaptive sync technology."

It also says that very clearly.

Man of Honour
" HDR compatible and is NVIDIA G-SYNC® Compatible, offering variable rate refresh and adaptive sync technology."

It also says that very clearly.
That’s talking only about the 27GN950. For the 38GN950 they mention HDR600 but don’t talk about VRR support

Associate
That’s talking only about the 27GN950. For the 38GN950 they mention HDR600 but don’t talk about VRR support

No it does not, the first line in the first paragraph lists a group of monitors, all ultragear, the 38GN950 being one of them. The 2nd paragraph specifically lists features of the 27" because it won a CES award, which was the point of the paragraph. The 3rd paragraph talks about displayport and does not reference a specific model. Being that this a general paragraph of information, logic sense would tell you that the paragraph has to do with the header its under, which is "LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors LG’s new UltraGear gaming monitors (models 27GN950, 34GN850, 38GN950)". If you think a 38" 1600p monitor with HDR600 and 144-160hz doesn't have Displayport, you're sadly mistaken. I think you're being way too literal and a bit silly. We both know the 38GN950 is the FreeSync version of the 38GL950.

Man of Honour
like i say, i agree that it is almost certainly an adaptive-sync screen. but my point still stands, that it is not specifically listed in that news piece - you're the one reading it wrong:

LG’s new UltraGear gaming monitors (models 27GN950, 34GN850, 38GN950) expand on the lineup’s strong reputation for blistering speed and excellent picture quality. Demonstrated earlier this year by LG’s first 1 millisecond Gray-to-Gray (GTG) IPS display, LG’s gaming monitors raise the bar for speedy performance and gorgeous visuals.

Another CES Innovation Award winner, the 27-inch UltraGear 4K UHD monitor (model 27GN950), boasts a 1ms Nano IPS display with a refresh rate of 144Hz, over-clockable to 160Hz. The unit also offers hardware calibration to maximize the ability of LG’s IPS technology to realize precise color reproduction.

A single DisplayPort cable provides support for VESA Display Stream Compression (DSC) technology for virtually lossless performance when handling 4K UHD images.1 In addition to delivering rich, vivid pictures and remarkable speed, VESA DSC is HDR compatible and is NVIDIA G-SYNC® Compatible, offering variable rate refresh and adaptive sync technology.

Designed to expand gamers’ sense of immersion, UltraGear models 34GN850 and 38GN950 feature large 1ms IPS displays and a 160Hz refresh rate.2 For the ultimate gaming experience, models 27GN950 and 38GN950 are VESA DisplayHDR™ 600-certified, while the 34GN850 supports VESA DisplayHDR 400. Both monitors incorporate an upgraded stand that not only looks sleek but is also stronger and more stable.

• the first line in the first paragraph lists a group of monitors, all ultragear, the 38GN950 being one of them - agreed
  • The 2nd paragraph specifically lists features of the 27" because it won a CES award, which was the point of the paragraph.- agreed
  • The 3rd paragraph talks about displayport and does not reference a specific model - this is where you're mis-reading it. That 3rd paragraph is continuing to talk about the 27GN950 as it's specifically talking about how it uses DSC to support 4K @ 144Hz instead of needing 2 cable connections, or using some other form of colour compression to make it work. That third paragraph is specifically about the 27" model before the 4th paragraph then goes back to talking about the other 34" and 38" ultrawide monitors again where VRR type and support is not mentioned

I expect the fact that LG have not specifically mentioned it that the 38GN950 will be adaptive-sync/Freesync but will not carry the 'G-sync Compatible' certification, only baseline "support" for G-sync.

anyway.....

Associate
So you agree with everything I say but are just arguing for the sake of being right. Got it.

Two can play this game. The 3rd paragraph says nothing about cables, I think you're putting words in the articles mouth. The Displayport comment applies to both panels, as you need Displayport to push 1600p, HDR600 and 144-160hz. Your logic is flawed.

I cannot wait for this to come out with the specs and tell you 'Told you so'.

Anyway...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So you agree with everything I say but are just arguing for the sake of being right. Got it.

Two can play this game. The 3rd paragraph says nothing about cables, I think you're putting words in the articles mouth. The Displayport comment applies to both panels, as you need Displayport to push 1600p, HDR600 and 144-160hz. Your logic is flawed.

I cannot wait for this to come out with the specs and tell you 'Told you so'.

Anyway...

lol. yes I am arguing for the sake of being right, just like you are. my original point was only that the article does not confirm type of VRR support for the 38GN950 and I said that currently that's speculation. That is still true. A good educated guess for sure, but I was only pointing out that it doesn't confirm that. you're the one who wrongly claimed that it does say that and I am just correcting you.

The 3rd paragraph says nothing about cables, I think you're putting words in the articles mouth. The Displayport comment applies to both panels, as you need Displayport to push 1600p, HDR600 and 144-160hz. Your logic is flawed.

In what way am I "putting words in the articles mouth"? of course you need DP for the known, listed spec of the 38GN950, I've never said it wouldn't need DP. My point before was that the third paragraph is about the 27" model, as it's talking about how that supports DSC to allow 4K @ 144Hz. that's the paragraph where it talks about the 27" model having G-sync Compatible certification - which you had wrongly assumed was talking about the 38GN950 as well.

Back
Top Bottom