**** The Official OnePlus 7/OnePlus 7 Pro Thread ****

Associate
I'm really torn. What I've learned is that I should have stuck it out until next year until a wider variety of high refresh phones become available.

Come the new year I want to go to the gym :D and the galaxy watch I got with the note will play music. I can use it with the OP but have read it isn't quite so well integrated. Also I prefer the squareness of the Note and its battery is a couple of hours SoT better for my usage.

I dont think the Note is a better phone but I have to stick with one or the other.

I'm with you here and also own the OnePlus 7 Pro and Note 10+, I flick between the two but I'm starting to prefer the Note 10+

The Android 10 update has definitely improved the Note 10+, I slightly prefer it to the OP7Pro, the Pro is a stonking device but there is just something about it that makes me prefer the Note. I think it's mainly that it doesn't support wireless charging and the camera is slightly weak.

Ironically, Samsung has now become very quick at pushing out the monthly security updates, the camera on it is also average.

If OnePlus add wireless charging and improve the camera this will surely be the best device on the market .

Gcam works well for anyone who is thinking about it, I think the best port is by Aranova that appears to have all the colour profiles right. Biggest problem with the gcam ports is shutter lag, it's not the same as the Pixel speed wise.

I'm keeping both as I've lost to much value to sell on, one will be back up and will probably trade in for something later next year when the OP8 is out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm with you here and also own the OnePlus 7 Pro and Note 10+, I flick between the two but I'm starting to prefer the Note 10+

I've had a good day with the OP and it's tracking about 8 hours SoT which is something I'm really happy with. So now I'm thinking about keeping the OP and returning the Note 10. I have scheduled returns for both phones.

As it happens I think the OP takes better mid-light photos than the Note so I guess all decent phone cameras are much of a muchness and all depend on personal use scenarios.

Whatever I end up with I hope i can finally settle on a damn phone!

Associate
I'm tempted with the 7t. Never had OnePlus before and never really had a larger device.

What's everyone's thoughts? How close are they to say the Pixel line in terms of software etc?

Soldato
Many seasoned reviewers describe the Oxygen OS as the best version of Android. You wont hear a bad word said about their skin overall, aside from mention of the odd bug.

It is the best Android skin out there IMO and the reason why I keep coming back to One Plus devices. The odd bugs aside and removal of headphone jack I think the latest iterations of OP phones are great and I for one can't wait for the OP8 series especially the Lite as it has a MediaTek 1000 dimension chip which is outstanding and has lit up benchmarks like a Christmas tree.

Associate
It is the best Android skin out there IMO and the reason why I keep coming back to One Plus devices. The odd bugs aside and removal of headphone jack I think the latest iterations of OP phones are great and I for one can't wait for the OP8 series especially the Lite as it has a MediaTek 1000 dimension chip which is outstanding and has lit up benchmarks like a Christmas tree.

Where did you see benchmarks? I hope they go for a mid range Snapdragon instead of mediatek.

Soldato
You know you can make Google Chrome have the bar at the bottom too right ? Works great.
I wanted to reply sooner but thought I'd try it myself first. I never knew this. However I can only seem to get the toolbar moved down to the bottom, not the address bar as well. Is this what you meant or have I missed something?

Associate
Been toying with my OnePlus 7 pro again after getting getting hacked off with the Note 10+.

Installed another version of GCam from XDA and it is really really good and has solved any of my camera woes, I was using the Arnova 6.2 version of GCam which had some issues put this version is really goot (think it's the PIxel 4xl port). Also support Astrophotgraphy, for anyone interested follow https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-7-2-astrophotography-super-res-zoom-pixels/

There are some customisations available to make it better.

This for me has removed the last issue I had with the OP7 Pro, I think my Note 10+ will be going up for sale after having camera issues again. In perfect light pictures are great but anything other and they are poor, combined with bad battery (3.5 - 4.5 SOT) I see no reason in keeping it any more. It also irritates me that Facebook and other junk is forced installed and the only way to remove it is by debloating using tools like ADB. Saying that, both are very similar generally but I feel the OP7 Pro is the better phone especially when you consider the cost.

One thing I also love about the OP7 Pro is built in support for 3rd party icons with the One UI launcher, no need to use Nova launcher or use Samsungs store to get more.

Soldato
Is gcam a bit more faffy to use than the installed camera app? I thought I read that it requires jumping through hoops to use.

And what sort of SoT do you get on the OP? Seems odd that your Note scores so low.

Associate
On the One Plus I get between 6 - 7, that's what I find odd about the Note. I've got the same apps, debloated all the rubbish and have the AOD on tap only.

I reckon it may be the Exynos chip, I've heard the Snap dragon versions are better, that's why I was amazed at your SOT.

For GCam it's really straight forward , simply download and then temporary allow install from Chrome. Never leave it on as it means rogue pages could.potentially install apps.

Then set as default for the camera, I have both a home screen icon for both cameras . That allows me to leverage the strength of each i.e. wide angle with the default. Portrait pictures I use GCam for.

Double tap of power button opens GCam for me, the only caveat is it doesn't work on the lockscreen.

Soldato
I'm sure my Note is on the Exynos chip since I ordered it from Samsung UK. Your OP SoT is near what I reckon I'd get in normal use (I'd estimate 6-7.5 in my usage), and the Note is consistently an hour more than that. Strange.

Soldato
Where did you see benchmarks? I hope they go for a mid range Snapdragon instead of mediatek.

Here :

https://www.gsmarena.com/mediateks_...by_antutu_and_flexes_its_might-news-40270.php

Also another interesting article here

https://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-865-vs-dimensity-1000-specs-1063105/

They won't be going for a midrange Snapdragon as it won't hold a candle to the MediaTek Dimension 1000 SoC if OP want to remain competitive in the midrange market.

Soldato
Soldato
On the One Plus I get between 6 - 7, that's what I find odd about the Note. I've got the same apps, debloated all the rubbish and have the AOD on tap only.

I reckon it may be the Exynos chip, I've heard the Snap dragon versions are better, that's why I was amazed at your SOT.

For GCam it's really straight forward , simply download and then temporary allow install from Chrome. Never leave it on as it means rogue pages could.potentially install apps.

Then set as default for the camera, I have both a home screen icon for both cameras . That allows me to leverage the strength of each i.e. wide angle with the default. Portrait pictures I use GCam for.

Double tap of power button opens GCam for me, the only caveat is it doesn't work on the lockscreen.
My 7T Pro has just ticked over to 7h12m SOT and has been 37 hours since my last charge. I should also point out that it wasn't a full 100% charge, it was around 92%. That's with QHD and 90hz on all the time. Not too shabby.

Associate
Been toying with my OnePlus 7 pro again after getting getting hacked off with the Note 10+.

Installed another version of GCam from XDA and it is really really good and has solved any of my camera woes, I was using the Arnova 6.2 version of GCam which had some issues put this version is really goot (think it's the PIxel 4xl port). Also support Astrophotgraphy, for anyone interested follow https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-7-2-astrophotography-super-res-zoom-pixels/

There are some customisations available to make it better.

This for me has removed the last issue I had with the OP7 Pro, I think my Note 10+ will be going up for sale after having camera issues again. In perfect light pictures are great but anything other and they are poor, combined with bad battery (3.5 - 4.5 SOT) I see no reason in keeping it any more. It also irritates me that Facebook and other junk is forced installed and the only way to remove it is by debloating using tools like ADB. Saying that, both are very similar generally but I feel the OP7 Pro is the better phone especially when you consider the cost.

One thing I also love about the OP7 Pro is built in support for 3rd party icons with the One UI launcher, no need to use Nova launcher or use Samsungs store to get more.
That Gcam didn't work for me unfortunately, systematically crashed on launch.

Soldato
Got myself a OnePlus 7T, and it's undoubtedly the best software experience on Android. The cameras are very decent too - I'd say better so far than the iPhone XS.

However.

• It's too big. I can't use it one handed anymore.
  • The gestures just aren't as good as iOS. Too much interference with hamburger style menus, and with the phone being too big, I can't get on with it.
Ive got a few more days until I have to return it, so I'll see if I change my mind.

90Hz OLED really isn't as big of a deal as I thought. I can tell the difference when I turn it to 60Hz, but if I switch to my iPhone, I can't really tell.

Soldato
90Hz OLED really isn't as big of a deal as I thought. I can tell the difference when I turn it to 60Hz, but if I switch to my iPhone, I can't really tell.

Make sure you're in an app which supports 90hz. For example the Samsung browser will only show 60hz. I found the hz difference most pronounced in apps or websites which dont suffer from jerkiness of adverts loading in. Iphones generally seem to escape the worst of this jerkiness which can fool you into thinking 90hz isn't that great.

That was my experience anyway. I also found the OP side gesture for back a little bit sub par but mostly because of the extreme screen curve.

Soldato
Make sure you're in an app which supports 90hz. For example the Samsung browser will only show 60hz. I found the hz difference most pronounced in apps or websites which dont suffer from jerkiness of adverts loading in. Iphones generally seem to escape the worst of this jerkiness which can fool you into thinking 90hz isn't that great.

That was my experience anyway. I also found the OP side gesture for back a little bit sub par but mostly because of the extreme screen curve.

I almost exclusively use Google apps on my phone. Just finding that after years of Android having a more polished experience, the tables seem to have turned.

Then again, with the new iPhones having removed 3D touch, I likely would prefer android for newer devices. A lot of the time I spent interacting with my phone was with 3D touch.

I guess the main issue is that it just hasn't wowed me, and I've found myself picking up my iPhone more than the OnePlus to do things. Could be down to familiarity, but whatever the reason, it seems silly to spend money on something that I don't like any more than my previous device.

Soldato
Just popping in to provide feedback for anyone considering a 7T. I've had mine for a couple of months now and really like it. I've came from Pixel 2 XL and whilst I'll be interested in what Pixel 5 has to offer this year, I think it'll need to go a long way to avert my gaze from OP's next release. I've been really impressed with this handset.

Negative still remains the auto brightness and lack of accuracy, but it's not a deal breaker in the slightest. :)

Back
Top Bottom