****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Man of Honour
FWu5M1e.jpg

And that little quote from Kennedy that's only a few days old really sums up how clueless she really is.
I can kind of see what they mean (the Fantastic Beasts series really suffers from this - sooo much padding and lame build up, Crimes of Grindelwald was so boring) but the structure of the 3 new Star Wars films evidently suffers from a lack of wishing to link them together.

Soldato
And that little quote from Kennedy that's only a few days old really sums up how clueless she really is.

The problem with Kennedy is she thinks she's got talent, but really she's just an administrator. Disney should never have allowed her to get involved with the Star Wars films on any kind of creative level. It's telling that under George Lucas, Lucasfilm had a team that was just for making sure that everything they did fit in with canon and had the feel of Star Wars. That was disbanded under Kennedy, and no one had any kind of oversight on fitting a story into the existing SW universe. This is how Kennedy could push her various identity/gender politics progroms into Star Wars.

Man of Honour
I'm off to see it tonight. I really wasn't bothered and would have been happy for it to hit a streaming service but my son asked to go. So I checked and half the seats were still vacant for a showing tonight. I was a little surprised how easy it was to book a last minute seat. Maybe it's because it's Christmas Eve and everyone is out partying instead?

I'll try to go with an open mind as I'd previously decided I wasn't interested in it anymore.

Soldato
I've heard the "Anakin's sacrifice didn't matter!!!" thing quite a bit, but how is that the case exactly? At the end of ROTJ Palpatine was pretty much torturing Luke to death and Anakin saved him. The fact that Palpatine didn't actually die doesn't somehow counteract the fact that Luke was saved, just the fact the the Sith weren't completely defeated

Seems on the ending of this story, is a slap at the face of all those following Star Wars for 40+ years.
Because Mary Sue, did exactly what Palpatine wanted (kill the last Skywalker), appropriated everything (Falcon, Xwing, the property of Tatooine) even the name.
Dark Side won, no problem here, but for the wrong reasons, the worst possible character ever and with most absolutely sht way.

On this film they were writing the script as they were going along, given that the "bad" character was Matt Smith initially, but decided half way filming to bring back Palpatine and completely scrap Matt Smiths footage and storyline.

Also by resurrecting half way the filming Palpatine, completely negates the fact that Anakin brought balance to the Force, which is what whole Star Wars was built upon almost half century now.

Man of Honour
I'm off to see it tonight. I really wasn't bothered and would have been happy for it to hit a streaming service but my son asked to go. So I checked and half the seats were still vacant for a showing tonight. I was a little surprised how easy it was to book a last minute seat. Maybe it's because it's Christmas Eve and everyone is out partying instead?

I'll try to go with an open mind as I'd previously decided I wasn't interested in it anymore.
Well I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'd give it a 7/10. There were a few flaky moments such as:

Randomly falling over the instructions to get to the Sith planet

It also felt a bit like several levels in a game where they had to complete the next quest or find the next clues. It didn't take the story where the younger me would have like to see it go after episodes 4 to 6. But given the travesty of ep 8 TLJ, it was better than I was expecting and I can see how the story has been changed for the new-young audience.

I also liked this little smack on the wrist to the previous film:

Force ghost Luke telling Rey not to treat a lightsaber with disrespect when she threw it into the sea, harking back to Luke throwing his over his shoulder in the previous film

Also:

I would have preferred Kylo Ren to have survived as having a Palpatine and a Skywalker survive at the end would have felt like Anakin/Darth Vader had indeed brought balance to the Force, albeit through his children

Soldato
I can kind of see what they mean (the Fantastic Beasts series really suffers from this - sooo much padding and lame build up, Crimes of Grindelwald was so boring) but the structure of the 3 new Star Wars films evidently suffers from a lack of wishing to link them together.
That's because Fantastic Beasts had no real reason to be a trilogy and there's not enough material to make 6 hours of film worth watching. Star Wars has a treasure trove of content they could cover and the complete lack of direction shows through.

Soldato
Star Wars Ep9 - Film 7/10 but Plot 0/10 - Firstly, the plot is utter garbage, it's just bobbins it really is and if you can't separate the plot from the rest of the film then the whole thing is dire HOWEVER, as a film away from the plot I enjoyed it and I'd say it was at least as good as Ep7 for me, but I REALLLLLLY had to work hard not to constantly scoff at the plot decisions made, the "insta-fix" to every situation (you never once though any main cast would die before the very end) and the ludicrous decision to bring back the big bad of the OT once Snoke was gone.

Once I decided "screw it, lets just watch and not think" I enjoyed it. The visual spectacle is epic, as most JJ Abrams films are, and the score, cinematography, humorous-ish script (the quick paced back & forth banter between Rey/Poe/Finn which was missing in Ep8) etc all add together to make a film I personally enjoyed as much as Ep7 and whole light year ahead of Ep8.

Again however it just comes down to your ability to ignore the utterly dumb/ridiculous plot & decisions made to keep advancing it.

Man of Honour
That's because Fantastic Beasts had no real reason to be a trilogy and there's not enough material to make 6 hours of film worth watching. Star Wars has a treasure trove of content they could cover and the complete lack of direction shows through.

Unfortunately, 99% of the content was made non-canon the moment Disney bought Lucasfilm.

All of the extended universe was immediately booted, and there was much howling and gnashing of teeth.

Soldato
I’ve always loved the Star Wars films but have happily existed outside the devotee bubble. I found TFA enjoyable on first watch then felt a bit shortchanged by the whole thing the more I thought about it, the whole thing was overly reliant on nostalgia and not a great film or story in its own right.

TLJ on the other hand, I really enjoyed. I liked how it subverted some of the typical Star Wars conventions which do get a bit tired, and I actually really liked Rose as a character, and the Rose/Finn side quest. I thought the ending to the film was really strong, particularly the stuff about the importance of myth/legend in offering hope to future generations, even where the Resistance appeared to have finally run out of allies.

ROS seemed to undo all of this and it was back to the usual deus ex nonsense, where no actions have consequences and things randomly appear out of nowhere to save people or advance the plot. They’ve all been covered to death here so I won’t retread old ground but I found it very frustrating.

I never thought it possible but im starting to think TLJ is better than this film....as much as a **** Johnson is i think he had some dumb thread he was willing to follow through the film. Abrams just came across as sand blasting the screen hoping we dont question anything....well here's a question JJ...

In TLJ Luke destroyed his X-wing on the island, he couldnt leave as he wanted to die there....and yet we have force Luke lifting said X-wing out the water after decades and it works fine for Rey. Have you just basically said Lukes death in TLJ was pointless? Instead of killing himself with his force projection he could have got in the ship and turned up and done something in person? No now you are doing the ultimate character assassination and saying he was too lazy or a coward to get in his ship and help the resistance, he'd rather do force tricks and die? Yeah thanks Abrams, such a great SW fan you turned out to be.

Caporegime
TLJ is much better. It does some terrible things but the overall story is at least a story and enjoyable. ROS is just visuals with a story that they came up with in 5 mins down the pub on a beer mat to back it up.

Soldato
TLJ is much better. It does some terrible things but the overall story is at least a story and enjoyable. ROS is just visuals with a story that they came up with in 5 mins down the pub on a beer mat to back it up.
TLJ was the most boring attempt at a story I've ever watched, and I enjoyed The Fly episode of Breaking Bad :p.

Soldato
TFA was a thinly veiled remake, TLJ was an assassination of everything Star Wars, RoS was a botch job to deal with TLJ and finish things off. That's what happens when you put egomaniacs with no knowledge or respect for the material in charge.

Associate
just back from seeing it, and truthfully i was a bit bored. I find there just no chemistry between the main chars, and they always seems cardboard cutout of the originals chars, and i just don't have a connection to them or care about them. and speaking of cardboard cutout's what about Leia.
However even if you only a small starwars fan like me, the film is still worth going to see.

Back
Top Bottom