Leafleting for a house

Soldato
So not actually leafleting but was thinking about posting in the local area faceboom group we're interested. Idea hoping that by going privately can maybe tempt some would be sellers and those that are actually planning to sell to avoid marketing fees and open houses.
Anybody have any stories and have done similar? Do you post budget in original post? A list of requirements is obvious, but not sure if pricd should be mentioned from get go, sellers may mark up their house otherwise.

Soldato
Never done it, but would have thought putting an expected budget on it would be wise.

That way you're not wasting their time if what you're wanting to pay is significantly less than what they would be asking for it, and vice versa.

Soldato
OP
If you do keep us posted. I can imagine there would be a lot of chancers.
Will try to.
Scottish blind bidding system is pants for buyers, there's no discussion or negotiation. Other half is constantly saying that houses are going above value, but clearly everyone but us (and maybe a couple below) value the house as more, then moans about not getting a house we fallen for.

Soldato
I did this. Although I typed up a letter and posted it through every house I wanted to buy in the 2 streets I wanted to live on.

Ended up with 4 responses. 1 was a different road so a no go, 1 they didn't end up selling, and 2 which we subsequently bought (we bought 1 and the in-laws bought the other)

We didn't post a budget but knew what houses went for in the area and knew we could afford them. The seller got 2 valuations and then knocked 12k off them (they both came back with the same price - he gave us the letters from estate agents)

Man of Honour
A few years ago when we were considering moving I responded to a post of a FB group, it never really amounted to anything as they weren't interested in our style of property.
One of the reasons it appealed to be as a prospective seller was we were struggling to get the property ready to put on the market and having to accommodate viewings around a young child etc but a targeted viewing we probably could have sorted out.

In terms of budget, it all depends on whether you have one or not. If you do, then I would post it (an approximate range) to ensure you aren't wasting everyone's time (including your own). If you have a very flexible budget and just want any house in that area regardless of how valuable it is then maybe it isn't necessary but most people seem to budget in a fairly narrow range where their top end is no more than say 20% higher than their bottom end. People 'marking up' their house shouldn't really be a concern as you should be assessing what your think the property is worth, not just what it has been priced at.

Finally I wouldn't rule out proper leafleting in addition to use of FB group because:
  • Not everyone will frequent the local FB group. My dad doesn't have a Facebook account for example, but he's told me about letters he's received through the door and how well written they were etc.
  • It may reduce the chances of you being considered a time-waster if you've taken the effort to write, print and distribute leaflets compared to just tapping out a quick message on your phone in a couple of minutes after a few glasses of wine.

Caporegime
Will try to.
Scottish blind bidding system is pants for buyers, there's no discussion or negotiation. Other half is constantly saying that houses are going above value, but clearly everyone but us (and maybe a couple below) value the house as more, then moans about not getting a house we fallen for.

it depends totally on the seller

for example my mate just bought in the exact same estate as me.

my house IMO was undervalued at the time. it was valued at £5K less than what I paid for it yet the seller wanted £7.5K above valuation. I really wanted the home and I said I can't do the £7.5K more but I can do £5K more than the valuation. He shook my hand and said I'll need to speak to the other half but I'm 99% sure that is fine. I spoke to him face to face on the showing day and we kept the lawyers and estate agents out of it.

We then got it for IMO the correct value. I didn't think the valuation was correct as the same house - in a worse state had sold for the valuation price. Yet it never had a full landscaped garden neither had it been modified to make an open plan kitchen and dining room yet left as default. Plus my attic was fully floored and the kitchen and en suite in much better condition, etc. I think all of that was at least worth £5K more. Subsequently my home has increased in value by around 15% in 3 years.

Yet my mate who just bought in the same estate just spent £31K over the valuation price. She wanted £45K more than the valuation and has been a nightmare since the start. She has also subsequently left the house in a worse state than when they viewed it. She removed things and then got a painter to do patch up jobs not using the same paint so the walls look "dirty" / messy.

She has also left a lot of holes in walls or screws sticking out and wall plugs, etc. He on the closing day had the winning bid by a long margin apparently. Yet she still wanted more money. He ended up giving her £500 more and she said she would leave the fridge freezer for doing so. She then tried to sell him the sofa for £2K, tv's and leave more holes in walls, etc.

I have yet to see a house sell for below or near it's valuation in decent areas tbh. In crap areas yes. But in places people want to live in; houses sell for 10-25% above the valuation.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.
It's a one pub, one shop village (town) of 1600. There's largish estates we wouldn't be interested in so maybe walking around more the area and narrowing down the houses we may be interested in/could afford might be the way forward.
But yes, hoping to attract those that have thought about selling but didn't want the "stress" of doing so.

Back
Top Bottom