So how do we sum up the 10's?

Soldato
Well that's another decade under the belt. What were some defining points for you. Terrorist attacks were rife for a while, the Tories got back into power after 13 years in the wilderness, Trump became president against all predictions, then all the #metoo and cultural stuff like antifa, BLM. All the leaks also, assange/snowden etc.

What else?

Man of Honour
I think the defining thing for me was this was the era of finally getting that all around capable handheld computing device as per modern smartphones and tablets - ever since I was first introduced to computers in the early 80s I've always kind of seen it as the pinnacle of progress.

Man of Honour
That thread is more a personal note and/or looking inwards at things that happened closer to home while this one more about world events, etc. and/or looking outward.

Associate
This decade was all about smartness of everything.. got smart phones, smart tvs and more smart electronics. We can say we became more addicted to new technology.

Man of Honour
Sounds self-righteous but I really do think we are in a new sinister ‘post-truth’ age.

I feel technology and social media have a big role to play in this. There is also a big and unhealthy trend towards “I want it now”.

On the plus side equality and mental health issues are more at the forefront, so that’s good, but I do worry about the upcoming generation as I think social media is generally terrible for mental health and actually adds very little.

Caporegime
The rise of Twitter and the realization that this planet is full of idiots.

People who are offended by everything.

Brexit.

Trump.

Migrant crisis.

A few terror attacks in London.

Protests.

Soldato
The spin of social media is a real thing.

Take the child laid on the floor in ED. Was it real or staged..as a nurse I think it was staged but I wasn't there therefore I do no know. Did the mum do it for publicity as a labour supporter.. I do not know. The triangulation of what is real and not real is a big thing for the next ten years.

rotters

Caporegime

Take the child laid on the floor in ED. Was it real or staged..as a nurse I think it was staged but I wasn't there therefore I do no know. Did the mum do it for publicity as a labour supporter.. I do not know. The triangulation of what is real and not real is a big thing for the next ten years.

rotters

Of course it was real, the hospital apologised to the mother.

The only ones saying it wasnt real were Twitter bots and a conservative activist.

Soldato
Everything is going to plan for the global elite and the great agenda. They had a great decade, smart tech has connected everyone to the network ready for compete tracking. The independence from the eu had been successfully manipulated into existence from no where. Gender had become a police able topic, bullying has become the social norm under the guise of equality. Humour is being drained for fear of offending everyone.
But on the good side, something, somewhere probably was alright

Caporegime
Of course it was real, the hospital apologised to the mother.

The only ones saying it wasnt real were Twitter bots and a conservative activist.
The fact it was spun to be not real is his point tho? There is literally no one to believe anymore everything requires another level of personal investigation, to some degree. ( Though most already do this ?)

Caporegime
Surely it has to be the four years of mainstream conspiracy theories (Russia etc) and the amount of people becoming completely unhinged about Trump being elected as well as remainers doing everything they could to try to subvert the Brexit referendum? (only to be voted out of office). Democracy made a return even though half of both countries "resisted".

Soldato
"Smart technology" convinced enough not so smart people to vote for wildly romantic visions/people on both sides of the Atlantic pond, which are likely to radically shape the 2020s in a nagative way.

Soldato
I would sum it up as the decade of social media and the distortion of what the vocal minority and silent majority is.

I think social media is then worst thing that has happened to western civilisation, and the rest of the world, in a while. Fake news, a constant barrage of information, virtue signalling, mental health issues with competing with others, trial by social media, 'gender' etc...

Soldato

rotters
Regardless you don’t take that phone and put it in your pocket to hide it when the worlds media is aimed at you! Only a real tool would do that...

Back
Top Bottom