What are your goals for the next decade?

Caporegime
We already have a thread dedicated to the last 10 years, but as always I am incapable of resting on my laurels and am always on the lookout for the next big thing.

For me my goals for the next decade are:

• Start a business and grow it.
  • Finish my degree.
  • Get more education.
  • £100k p/a.
  • Become completely debt-free.
  • Buy a house.
  • Have kids? Maybe. Who knows.

These are on top of the usual copy & paste new years' resolutions, lose weight, quit drinking, all that rubbish.

Go on, what are your goals?

Last edited:
Soldato
We already have a thread dedicated to the last 10 years, but as always I am incapable of resting on my laurels and am always on the lookout for the next big thing.

For me my goals for the next year are:

• Start a business and grow it.
  • Finish my degree.
  • Get more education.
  • £100k p/a.
  • Become completely debt-free.
  • Buy a house.
  • Have kids? Maybe. Who knows.

These are on top of the usual copy & paste new years' resolutions, lose weight, quit drinking, all that rubbish.

Go on, what are your goals?
That's a lot for one year, or did you mean goals for the next decade?

Man of Honour
Hmm, 10 years. Tricky. I guess I only have three goals:

Become a father (a good one).
Procure a more balanced life.
Stop worrying about the destination and enjoy the journey.

Already taking steps and looking forward to the future! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You still in sales?

No, I moved within the company to a new position. However, it's not motivating at all and they now want to radically change my working hours (to include weekends). I left sales (and took a huge paycut) to get out of weekend working so it's a bit of a slap in the face.

Been with this company around 7 years now, and there's no progression or anything. Feel like I've wasted so much time. Also, my position doesn't really exist outwith my current company so it's not a case of "oh, I'm a software engineer so I can go and work there, there and there." I'm applying for jobs, but not getting anywhere with it.

Bah!

Soldato
Keep my business growing year on year.
Nurture my kids to become decent human beings
Reduce mortgage as much as possible
Travel more
Enjoy life
Build my own home (unlikely as my wife doesn't really share that dream & land prices around here are mental)

Man of Honour
No, I moved within the company to a new position. However, it's not motivating at all and they now want to radically change my working hours (to include weekends). I left sales (and took a huge paycut) to get out of weekend working so it's a bit of a slap in the face.

Been with this company around 7 years now, and there's no progression or anything. Feel like I've wasted so much time. Also, my position doesn't really exist outwith my current company so it's not a case of "oh, I'm a software engineer so I can go and work there, there and there." I'm applying for jobs, but not getting anywhere with it.

Bah!
Ah I see. Clearly I’m not up to date, or more likely I have a memory like a sieve.

Maybe chalk it up as time spent identifying what you don’t want - which can take a long time to realise!!

Good luck with it - it’ll work out I’m sure!

Soldato
  1. Hopefully continue with my long term partner, maybe get married, who knows.
  2. Sell or rent out my flat and buy somewhere bigger / nicer.
  3. Complete my ACCA course, either move into a much more senior role where I am (unlikely as it's a nightmare and family run) or to move into practice where hopefully I'll be able to earn considerably more than at the moment. Short term goal is getting a considerable salary increase, hopefully around 20% due to taking on considerable more responsibility.
  4. Cross my fingers that my family has good health and that my grandparents are still about then
  5. Buy a decent car that I long for, not one that I'm buying just because I can afford it
  6. Try and maintain my current figure, a belly wouldn't suit me :p

Soldato
In no specific order.

1. Move from this 2 bedroom flat to at least a 3 bedroom house with a garden and parking/garage.

2. I hit 10 years with my current employer in April 2020 so probably another 10 more years there. Aim to improve salary so can afford point 1.

3. Enjoy the birth of 2nd child come May 2020 and be the best father I can be to both children.

4. Take my wife out more on date nights. Once 2nd child a bit more grown up go on weekends away.

5. Hopefully own a decent age, modern family sized car. For safety and comfort.

6. Continue to lose weight and stay healthy as possible.

7. Own a gaming PC again or own a 4K TV and PS5

8. Start/Complete RDR2 haha

Soldato
Now at 36 years old..

Most important of them all, continuing to keep myself fit and healthy otherwise nothing else matters.

Continue learning and evolving by reading books.

Be successful self employed and running my own business.

Pay off my mortgage (5 year plan).

Start a family.

Back
Top Bottom