Driving with flat tyre

Associate
I always think my tyres are under on my 2014 Honda CR-V, but when I check them with a guage they are ok, just the sidewalls seem to bulge out with these tyres. Mine has a low pressure warning but it has never come on, I believe it activates at about 8psi under

Associate
When Mrs V drove a few miles on a slow puncture to get off the motorway, I arranged for the tyre to be changed where she had stopped.
When the duff tyre came off, a fair proportion of the internal sidewall had shredded itself, although it looked fine from the outside.

Soldato
Yeah running on a pancake flat tyre for even a few hundred metres will render it dead. When they take the tyre off after it's been runflat there is normally about a handful of black dust (aka "runflat dust") in the tyre from where the alloy has shredded the inside of the tyre. I found this out the hard way a few years ago when I got a puncture on a 500 mile old Bridgestone tyre that i thought i'd be ok to drive a couple of miles at 20mph to a garage for repair. Had to buy a new one :(

Soldato
OP
I always think my tyres are under on my 2014 Honda CR-V, but when I check them with a guage they are ok, just the sidewalls seem to bulge out with these tyres. Mine has a low pressure warning but it has never come on, I believe it activates at about 8psi under

Some radials do bulge a bit but if the tyre is the correct size for the car and inflated to manufacturers spec it's fine.

Soldato
I was a passenger in mates Disco and we were doing a good 70 up M5 when a mini by side of us pointed to rear wheel - as soon as mate lifted of it went bang and car started wobbling - up to that point we never knew the tyre was flat. Nothing !

I can relate to this, driving up the M5, car felt absolutely fine until changing lanes the *bump* of going over a cat's eye was significantly louder than usual, pulled off at the next services (fortunately only 0.5 miles on), and the tyre was completely flat!

Back
Top Bottom