RC cars

Man of Honour
@Nitefly knows it; Tyco Rebound or go home :cool:

:edit: I appreciate it's not even slightly in the same league as what most of you are talking about in here, but the pure power of the marketing for that thing was a thing of beauty, and something the 8 year old me of the mid nineties had no defense against.

Soldato
I don’t think anything in life has ever got me as pumped up as the advert for the rebound 4x4.

That's a blast from the past! My first RC car was the Tyco Scorcher, I was 100% won over by the adverts for it. It was fun but pretty rubbish and the wheels ended up snapping off. I remember I managed to get it replaced once but the same thing happened. After that I saved up for a Tamiya Dirt Thrasher which was a step above and a proper kit car. After that I moved to a Schumacher Cat 2000 which was an awesome little car!

Caporegime
That's a blast from the past! My first RC car was the Tyco Scorcher, I was 100% won over by the adverts for it. It was fun but pretty rubbish and the wheels ended up snapping off. I remember I managed to get it replaced once but the same thing happened. After that I saved up for a Tamiya Dirt Thrasher which was a step above and a proper kit car. After that I moved to a Schumacher Cat 2000 which was an awesome little car!

My friend had a cat 2000 with a 13 turn motor. That thing was a rocket ship and felt like an F1 car. Made my Tamiya feel like a Victorian pram at the time!

Soldato
My friend had a cat 2000 with a 13 turn motor. That thing was a rocket ship and felt like an F1 car. Made my Tamiya feel like a Victorian pram at the time!

Yeh, I thought my Dirt Thrasher was good until I got the Cat which was another level! It might be fun to dig it out again and see if it still works. It's probably sat in a box somewhere in my parents loft.

Caporegime
Some of my favourite toys! Brings back good memories.

I had these two as a kid.
1zocqCbm.jpg
This one squirts water out of the snake which flips up from car with a trigger! My sisters hated it

TEmcs5fm.jpg
This one was indestructible! It had those big tyres and was invertable. I drilled out a hole and put a maglite torch in it to use at night! Had about 4 battery packs!

Probably best Christmas present ever!
Good Times!

Associate
Anyone remember the monster beetle?

Tamiya-Monster-Beetle-Review-32-768x500.jpg

Mentioned it in my post on the first page :) A mate had one and it went very, very well indeed. Shockingly fast for a toy.

Soldato
I usually get the 1/14 scale Tamiya trucks (Scania, Man etc) expensive pieces of kit but very impressive... The cheaper RC cars seem abit naff in quality but are OK for younger ones I think... My little boy has a DS3 WRC car and a Bugatti, they're pretty quick for AA battery power

Soldato
I remember wanting a Tamiya soo bad when i was a kid (I think it was a Tamiya Ford Cosworth rally RC car that was on display in the hobby shop window), but my family had no chance of buying me something that expensive, so I always got the crappy £20 ones that ran out of batteries after 20 mins and never got used again :(.

I have a couple of 1/10 scale Tamiya RC cars now a TB-01 and TB-02. Really need to get some more batteries and have a go with them as they have just been sat unused for like 10 years. Might even look into upgrading them to brushless if it has dropped in price since I last looked into it.

Caporegime
Where’s a good place to buy a controller?

i see a decent price for the midnight pumpkin but would need a controller.

Christmas money is burning a hole in the pocket lol

Soldato
I had a Tamiya Hotshot 2 when I was about 14, took me ages to save up for it. It was great fun but kept breaking the front bumper gearbox mounts which was a pain.Tamiya even gave me a few for free when we complained to them. In the end I gave up on it. My friends had all sort including a Tamiya Super Sabre, Falcon, Hornet, Wild Willy Jeep and the best one was a Kyosho Optima Mid Turbo.

I've been looking recently at getting another buggy to get my kids into RC. I'm going to skip Tamiya this time and get either an Arrma Granite or Notorious. These things have really moved on since the Tamiya kits I grew up with.

Last edited:
Associate
Been looking at RC cars, can anyone comment on the Traxxas Rustler XL-5 iD RTR or the 4x4 XL-5 equivalent? The latter is over £100 more, not sure if its worth it?

One is 2wd and the other is 4wd. They both come in brushed and brushless versions but the 2wd model you have specified is brushed. (Reading again the Rustler 4x4 you specified is also brushed.)
2wd and 4wd have different skill disciplines so depends what you want to do with it.
I have an Hpi efirestorm flux which is the 2wd Rustler equivalent. The biggest downside of 2wd is that everytime you brake hard you do a handbrake turn. Every time you accelerate hard you pull a wheelie, and then can't turn. You also have a little less air control when trying to level the car mid air from a jump.
Imagine driving a real car without front brakes. 2wd needs a higher skill level but only because it's essentially worse.
I still enjoy 2wd but I have 4 4wd cars and only 1 2wd car.
Get a car with a brushless setup now if you can afford it. Look up the price of Traxxas brushless Esc's and motors if you want help trying to justify it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom