What damage could I have done?

Soldato
Driving down narrow street, it was dark and car coming opposite way. I ended up going over a speed diversion mini island thing at the side of the road which was pavement height. The reflector on the bollard on this island thing was missing, really difficult to see this diversion thing. Your meant to drive around them.

So I went over around 10-15mph. It gave me a flat front right tire though that was a spare I had recently swapped so not that surprised as it's probably been sitting for years in the boot.

What kind of damage could I have done under the car, maybe oil sump?

Associate
When on your side of the road these things are preceded with a small red arrow pointing up and a bigger black one pointing down telling you traffic coming the other way has priority, was that missing too?

Man of Honour
I'd have thought a coil spring should survive a pavement high bump at 10-15mph. If you are unlucky might have done some damage to the ball joints which is a pain to replace, possibly loosened up the steering box/rack as a whole which will result in loose steering with the steering wheel having less authority over the wheels - but is usually a quick job for a mechanic to fix as long as nothing is bent. Might want to get the tie rod ends inspected as well.

Soldato
OP
When on your side of the road these things are preceded with a small red arrow pointing up and a bigger black one pointing down telling you traffic coming the other way has priority, was that missing too?

All missing, I went back to inspect and it's it's obvious plenty of people have also driven over this due to the damage to the kerb.

Soldato
The most likely damage in my experience of fixing cars where this has happened is a buckled lower suspension wishbone. I suspect that they are actually designed to be sacrificial.

(Barring actual sump/subframe damage from grounding)

While it is a good idea to have a good look around underneath to make sure nothing is damaged anyway. (The tyre place should be able to give a visual check for you)

You may have been lucky and apart from the tyre not damaged anything. But, If the car doesn't steer straight with new tyres on it, then you will have bent something. Similarly, if you need to make any major changes to the wheel alignment, then that will indicate damage too.

Wheel alignment doesn't just magically un-adjust itself as a result of hitting a kerb/pothole. If it was OK before and now isn't then you will have bent something!

Finally, alloy wheels can be damaged by this sort of impact. if the rim of the wheel shows any damage as a result of hitting the kerb, I would be inclined to replace it. I have seen what happens if a damaged alloy wheel actually fractures further down the road. (Sometimes months later)

Soldato
OP
Bad luck - stuff happens

So you had no spare tyre? How did you get going? At least you burst an old tyre, but not sure it's an amazing idea to be driving a car with an old tyre on one corner for any time - you got a lot of bad luck recently?

Did you hear scraping? Seems like an odd worry. Get some new tyres something that matches on axles and get an alignment done at the same time. If steering feels tight you should be ok but might be worth going to a decent mechanic and not just a tyre shop just so he has a little look over.

Hi had swapped over spare and got new tyre on the spare about a week ago. Definitely scraping.

Soldato
All missing, I went back to inspect and it's it's obvious plenty of people have also driven over this due to the damage to the kerb.

Go back and take photos so that you can report it.

Also, can we have a Streetview link?

In terms of damage, it's difficult to say without looking underneath but it's entirely possible you've bent a control arm.

Soldato
The most likely damage in my experience of fixing cars where this has happened is a buckled lower suspension wishbone. I suspect that they are actually designed to be sacrificial.

(Barring actual sump/subframe damage from grounding)

While it is a good idea to have a good look around underneath to make sure nothing is damaged anyway. (The tyre place should be able to give a visual check for you)

You may have been lucky and apart from the tyre not damaged anything. But, If the car doesn't steer straight with new tyres on it, then you will have bent something. Similarly, if you need to make any major changes to the wheel alignment, then that will indicate damage too.

Wheel alignment doesn't just magically un-adjust itself as a result of hitting a kerb/pothole. If it was OK before and now isn't then you will have bent something!

Finally, alloy wheels can be damaged by this sort of impact. if the rim of the wheel shows any damage as a result of hitting the kerb, I would be inclined to replace it. I have seen what happens if a damaged alloy wheel actually fractures further down the road. (Sometimes months later)

Yep I once did the same damage in an MX-5 from sliding and hitting a curb in the wet. It was a £20 part so I'm guessing it's designed to give before the expensive parts.

Back
Top Bottom