Nought , Zero or Oh ?

Soldato
I always try and say zero, especially in work if I'm talking to someone as it makes it clearer what I mean. I did once have someone ask me if I meant the letter zero or number zero though..

Caporegime
Mixture of 0 and Zero depending on the quality of the phone call.

You realise you just typed a zero there and the word "zero" there then said you use a mixture of them? Did you mean to type O? :)

It is a bit bad how they're right next to each other on the keyboard tbh...

Caporegime
How about suggestions on mixing it up a bit?

I alternate. Even in describing a number say over the phone such as 0800502134532. I'll say zero eight zero zero five nought two ....

nothing eight nothing nothing five

null eight null null five

nil eight nil nil five

zilch eight zilch zilch five

Caporegime
so, is saying 'oh' acceptable because it's short for zer-oh? or is it really just mixing up 0's and O's, like what I thought before this thread!

I think it's just mixing up 0s and Os

I mean I've heard Os being used with telephone numbers for years, like that was standard when giving out an area code when I was a kid etc... thing is that was in the early days of the internet and back when computers at home were basically the 8 bit micros then later Atari/Amiga that kids played with and maybe a big machine in the study that some dads used for some clunky spreadsheet and a word processor etc.. I guess back then people didn't have many situations where they'd mix up O and 0... a telephone number was just digits and so who cares.

These days though it's like "Oh, could I use the wi-fi" "sure the password is 79h0iz..." and suddenly the difference between "Oh" and "Zero" is important.

Man of Honour
I'm far too thick to speak another language. Although I'd love to.

The trouble is.... everyone speaks English already :p

Well you asked for it Foxy, you put nein for nine!
With my ancestry, I find French a piece of cake, but I only have ein bisschen German.
My German daughter-in-law says that as she finds it easy to do The Times crossword, and I apparently have acquired a decent accent, I should apply myself more to learning the language.
She says all this in impeccable English, so it hardly spurs me on to try.

Caporegime
Well you asked for it Foxy, you put nein for nine!
With my ancestry, I find French a piece of cake, but I only have ein bisschen German.
My German daughter-in-law says that as she finds it easy to do The Times crossword, and I apparently have acquired a decent accent, I should apply myself more to learning the language.
She says all this in impeccable English, so it hardly spurs me on to try.
Ich kann nur ein oder zwei hundert worten (auf Deutsch), nicht mehr. Ich bin dummkopf :( Aber Ich verstehe "nein", lol :p

And my grammar sucks :p

Unless you have private schooling/tuition, most schools in this country only start teaching a foreign language at 11+. Looking at other European nations that's far, far too late. The people who I know who are really fluent either went and lived in abroad, or had private schooling, or both.

But then I keep reminding myself that, as a hermit, it really doesn't help me to speak more languages :p

Man of Honour
Ich kann nur ein oder zwei hundert worten (auf Deutsch), nicht mehr. Ich bin dummkopf :( Aber Ich verstehe "nein", lol :p

And my grammar sucks :p

Unless you have private schooling/tuition, most schools in this country only start teaching a foreign language at 11+. Looking at other European nations that's far, far too late. The people who I know who are really fluent either went and lived in abroad, or had private schooling, or both.

But then I keep reminding myself that, as a hermit, it really doesn't help me to speak more languages :p

Très drôle Foxy, if you’ll accept the language switch.
O/T but possibly amusing, my German grandsons started to learn English at school when they were eight.
The eldest brought a note home from his teacher, to my German daughter-in-law, who thought, ‘Christ, what’s he done?”
Teacher said, “I was teaching the kids verbs, I am, you are, he is etc., when I got to the negatives, I am not, you are not, he/she is not, your son raised his hand, and said, mein Opa, (my grandad), says I ain’t.”
She said, “I told him that his Opa was wrong, and he said, no, you’re wrong Miss, mein Opa is a Black Cab driver in London, he said that they know everything.”

Back
Top Bottom