So how did your decade go?

Soldato
Left a job I've been coasting in for 7 years that had no prospects.
Worked in care for nearly 4 years and met my now fiancée.
Started a apprenticeship and got promoted into a different team.
Proposed to fiancée.
Bought our first house and moved in last week.

Caporegime
Hmmmmm. Well, I hit the 10 year anniversary of not killing my wife to death and vice versa, I've doubled my salary, got out of the blue-collar life and in to the white-collar life, no longer have to wear crap uniform and safety boots thank god. Started an awesome job at an awesome company with an awesome team, wangled myself a Nebosh diploma for nada which I'm starting in February. Shedded loads of debt, bought a new car (which is now ancient and needs replacing). As always with me however, is more what will I achieve in the next decade? No point resting on your laurels, crack on and make more!

Soldato
Started general surgical training in 2010. Moved from Leamington to Brighton to Birmingham. Got married, have an amazing daughter, bought and extensively updated our house. Submitted my PhD thesis. Presented my research at international conferences. Discovered a truly inspiring specialty in renal transplantation. Did some operations.

I’m exhausted, but hopefully by the spring I’ll have my exit exams and PhD viva done and I can think about having some sort of a life again.

Caporegime
2010: Found my boss dead in the office from an aneurysm.
2012: My gran died.
2015: My mum died.
2016: My dad got cancer.
2017: My grandma died.
2018: My dad died.
2019: Turned 40 but no one died this year.

Decade can **** off.

Soldato
It's been a helluva decade for me and kinda hard to think of all that has happened.

Highlights are becoming a parent, making some of the best friends i can ever have hoped for but then saying goodbye and moving to the best place on earth to live ( for me personally ofc). Got a job that is 10 mins from home that I own (well, the bank does anyway) , the beach is 10 minutes in the other direction with a flexible as hell environment giving me a lot of personal time. I don't have an awful lot of discretionary income like I had early on in the decade, but again, I live in a place where people go to come on holidays, and have a 4x4 that goes to pretty amazing locations. Seen a fair bit of the world and had some amazing holidays I'll never forget (Mountain biking in France and surfing in Indonesia being highlights).

Life's never perfect, but I'm happy as hell and all my worries tend to be 'first world problems' - (like my neighbour's pool nearly falling into my backyard when i was building mine) looking forward to keep moving forward in the next decade and watch my small humans grow.

Last edited:
Soldato
The run from 65 to 75 was a bit hilly but I am dreading the run from 75 to 85. -- If anyone thinks 35 -45 will be hard just wait a few more years. :D

Back
Top Bottom