What are your goals for the next decade?

Associate
Nothing that exciting but over the next 10 years I'd like to
  • See my son grow into a teenager
  • Get a couple of promotions at work
  • Travel more
  • Try and keep a full head of hair

Soldato
Try and get myself into a job that doesn’t see me working away for 3 months at a time, for 7 out of every 12 months, especially now that I’ve just found out I’m going to be a dad for the 1st time.

Oh, and not making a complete and utter arse of the ‘being a dad’ thing would be nice too.

Caporegime
OP
Just out of curiosity what field would you expect to achieve this in?

From what I've heard from many, once you hit £50k it becomes extremely hard to get past that, I've known people to spend an extra 10-12 hours a week working with an extra hour of traveling a day to go from £47k to £55k.

I'll be starting a business.

Fairly random selection for me...
  • Get to a 1000 posts
  • Move to the Netherlands and start a family
  • Sail across the Atlantic
  • Run a marathon (even better, an ultramarathon :D)

Interesting, why the Netherlands out of curiosity? I'm Dutch and spent 8 years in Holland :)

For sailing across the atlantic however it's the perfect country to live in. The Dutch have the best yacht builders in the world and they most certainly know a thing or two about traversing water. Also with the marathon you can cheat because holland is flat as a pancake :D

Associate
Interesting, why the Netherlands out of curiosity? I'm Dutch and spent 8 years in Holland :)

For sailing across the atlantic however it's the perfect country to live in. The Dutch have the best yacht builders in the world and they most certainly know a thing or two about traversing water. Also with the marathon you can cheat because holland is flat as a pancake :D

My wife's dutch and has a close-knit family who I get on well with - so its also ideal for starting a family.

Strong maritime nation is definitely a big attraction for me, part of the deal is living close to water and a boat :p

And definitely agree on the flat - running there is so much easier! Father-in-law is a keen triathlete but had a massive shock on the Hever triathlon last year :D

Soldato
Yeah I chose the Manchester Marathon which is known as the flattest in the UK :D

As for me I think it’s just carry on as I am. I’m 33 and earn a reasonable wage in a pretty easy job that I can do with little stress. I did have an interview just before Christmas that would give me a lot more responsibility for not a lot of extra cash in the short term. However would be much closer to home which would give me more spare time.

Generally I’d just like to get healthier. I drink too much and eat too much crap food. It costs a lot and makes me feel ill which has a knock on effect where it impacts my running for a few days afterwards.

I’d also like to get quite a few jobs around the house done. Although my wife will kill me if it takes towards the end of the decade before they’re finished!

Last edited:
Associate
Continue losing weight and get fitter. Lost around a stone so far and have similar to go. Keep at a healthy weight long-term.

Finish funding youngest sproglet through uni.

Clear debts and pay off mortgage.

Hang on in my current job for at least another 5 years (just coming up to 50 and can access pension savings if necessary from 55). I'd probably get a decent payoff after 20+ years too.

Travel. Spend more time relaxing/hobbies.

Retire (definitely want to be retired before I hit 60).

Associate
Continue losing weight and get fitter. Lost around a stone so far and have similar to go. Keep at a healthy weight long-term.

Finish funding youngest sproglet through uni.

Clear debts and pay off mortgage.

Hang on in my current job for at least another 5 years (just coming up to 50 and can access pension savings if necessary from 55). I'd probably get a decent payoff after 20+ years too.

Travel. Spend more time relaxing/hobbies.

Retire (definitely want to be retired before I hit 60).

Sounds pretty good to me.
I am54 yrs old. Don't need to lose weight but continue keeping fit. Definitely retire before 60.
With your post the only issue I can see is 'paying off student debt.' I am sure it is far better to keep the student debt and use the capital for other investments

Associate
Sounds pretty good to me.
I am54 yrs old. Don't need to lose weight but continue keeping fit. Definitely retire before 60.
With your post the only issue I can see is 'paying off student debt.' I am sure it is far better to keep the student debt and use the capital for other investments

Not student debt - just debt. Despite earning a good wage, living in London and raising 3 kids + putting them through Uni is pretty expensive. :( I will start to dream about having 'capital for other investments' sometime over the next decade (probably as I retire).

Back
Top Bottom