How can three people drown in this pool ?

Soldato
at 10C have you ever tried swimming ?

https://www.livescience.com/6866-people-drown.html
"For example, the lake is calm, but the distressed person is so panicked that they grab on to the person trying to help them, and both succumb," Brewster said.

The best way to approach a drowning victim is with a floatation device, Brewster said.

"If you lack training in rescuing, it is enormously dangerous to attempt a rescue," even for strong swimmers, Brewster said. The safest action to take is to throw a floatation device to the person.

If that can't be done or the person is out of reach, a rescuer should take a floating object with them when they enter the water.

"What you want to do is to avoid contact," he said, "that contact is what results in death."

Professional ocean lifeguards always take a floatation device with them when they go into the water to make a rescue.

If you push a floating object toward a person, they will automatically grab onto it, Brewster said, which will keep the rescuer safely out of the distressed person's frenzied grasp.

Soldato
And pops has gone through 50 years of life without one yet his 2 young kids have one. Uh huh.

Not saying that this is what happened here, but the scenario is not inconcievable.

Say, for instance, it was a case of the trigger being sudden immersion in very cold water combined with extreme fear/stress.

This may well never have happened before in his 50 year lifetime.

Also, it is not uncommon for peoples vulnerabilities to be greatest when people are young and old but not so much in between the two.

Soldato
Speculation seems to have gone from (initially) dodgy Spanish resort/pool equipment onto black people can't swim...

In all seriousness, It depends on level of fitness.

Your average Black person can swim just as well as anybody else.

Athletic/very fit Black people (Particularly Men) do struggle somewhat since they tend to have very low levels of body fat and are therefore less buoyant.

(First time I came across this phenomena was while talking to a "Training Officer" (Not sure if that is correct British Army designation) who worked at Sandhurst who was commenting that the Black trainees, and who would all have been relatively fit, (well back then anyway!;) ) had the near universal swimming ability of a house brick)

Permabanned
(First time I came across this phenomena was while talking to a "Training Officer" (Not sure if that is correct British Army designation) who worked at Sandhurst who was commenting that the Black trainees, and who would all have been relatively fit, (well back then anyway!;) ) had the near universal swimming ability of a house brick)

David Goggins talked about "negative buoyancy" being the reason you don't see more blacks in SEAL teams on the Rogan podcast.

Associate
Clearly a tragedy.
Swimming pools without lifeguard are common.
Signs would keep that clear.
But honestly, no disrespect with the victims, but swimming this time of the year, just if in Brazil.
Went to South Spain last April/May and the swimming pool was far from warm. I was unable to use it before 12-13, despite the sunny weather.

Permabanned
Permabanned
This is entirely nonsense FYI, yes you are less buoyant, but you are not a boat, and that is not how swimming works.

It's literally right there in the abstract of a published study and yet we're supposed to listen to you saying "it's nonsense"...... :rolleyes: Welcome to GD I guess.

Man of Honour
OK

When I was 13 around 1971, I was at Pwllheli Butlins and in the morning went to the outside swimming pool that had an Olympic height diving board so the water was deep.
The water was also dirty and no way could you see the bottom.
I dived in, swam to the bottom to be greeted by a dead body just hanging in the water and I basically flew out.
Apparently he was fully clothed and had died of cold the previous evening.
Because I poo'd my pants and cried a lot we got a free weeks holiday.
:eek:

Soldato
It's literally right there in the abstract of a published study and yet we're supposed to listen to you saying "it's nonsense"...... :rolleyes: Welcome to GD I guess.

i did not mention, nor did i dispute that study, simply, the differences in buoyancy are irreverent

I expect you to swim, not to win the gold medal at the olympics.

Transmission breaker
Don
Sadly, it just seems of a case of people not being able to swim well getting caught out in a pool that was quite deep.
I expect they panicked and drowned. A drowning person does not act logically. So "odd" things happen in that scenario.

Caporegime
Also, it is not uncommon for peoples vulnerabilities to be greatest when people are young and old but not so much in between the two.

50 isn't old and the kids were around 10. They're basically all in between the risk areas.

There's probably a greater likelihood Elvis turned up, having not died on the crapper, divebombed them and killed them with the shockwaves.

Soldato
This is entirely nonsense FYI, yes you are less buoyant, but you are not a boat, and that is not how swimming works.

Of course it is.

When swimming one has to achieve three things. (at least)

#1 Stay affloat

#2 Make progress

#3 Stay warm!

One only has a fixed amount of power/fuel available, that power/fuel has to be divided between #1, #2 and #3.

The more buoyant one is, the less power/fuel is needed for #1. and the more power/fuel is available for #2 and the more fuel is available for #3. (And all the while fuel will be being expended on #3 without any choice)

And, of course, there comes a point where lack of buoyancy can result in the unfortunate situation where the power/fuel demands to achieve #1 and #3 exceed what is available and one drowns.

Very fit Black people (Apparently) come very close to this point. Even for a "White" person, a couple of bags of loose change would mean the difference between life and death (If you are trying to survive a shipwreck or even falling in the canal, that Rolex might actually kill you!)

Surviving in water is like space travel. Every gram counts.

Caporegime
He wasn't a very fit black man. He was a middle-aged pastor. So I'm not sure how this supreme black athlete chat is relevant.

The guy couldn't swim and neither could his family.

Take your kids to swimming lessons parents.

Soldato
50 isn't old

HAHAHA.

Hi fellow 50+ year old who is trying to kid himself that he is still young! ;):D

I will be 60 next birthday, I am not young!

BUT, I can still up-end a 200L drum of Antifreeze (100Kg+ dead lift from a very awkward angle) and My other half is somewhat thrilled that my arms are bigger than her legs! :D

(She got herself a knee support thing for cycling, I couldn't push it up to my elbow)

He wasn't a very fit black man. He was a middle-aged pastor. So I'm not sure how this supreme black athlete chat is relevant.

The guy couldn't swim and neither could his family.

Take your kids to swimming lessons parents.

Its only relevant to discussion because it was mentiond.

However, for three members of the same family to die essentially simultaneously there has to be a common factor.

Either that factor is to do with the family or it has to do with the environment (Or a possible combination of the two)

Back
Top Bottom