So how do we sum up the 10's?

Soldato
OP
The 2010s. Can’t see it going down in the history books as a classic. Stagnation definitely sums it up. Mediocre economic growth, the best of which has been heavily concentrated in London and the South East, plus large cities. Real wages still below the pre-crash peak, some ~11 years later. Social media dominance, identity politics looming large, climate change awareness peaking.

Cult of the “strongman leader” making a comeback. Cynicism of multi-national institutions more marked than ever. The strength of nationalistic forces has been underestimated. High street and traditional retail continuing to deteriorate and change form. Rise in newer leisure-based activities. New economic opportunities have emerged through monetisation of social media. Technology more ubiquitous, cost effective and capable than ever. Lower tax burden, particularly for corporations (too low, in my view. We’ve gone too far in accommodating business here). Government investment present, but still lags behind our best performing peers on the continent.

TV series have massively outshone films in terms of writing, creativity and originality (not that I’m a big TV viewer). Electric vehicles getting there, but still have much, much work to do to convince most of the populace. Renewable energy becoming more prevalent and cost effective all the time. The dramatic phase out of coal powered energy in the UK. Hipsters, and feigned “individualism”. Craft beer, street food, pop up stores. Vaping. Kardashians, TOWIE, Geordie Shore, Love Island. Big bums and yoga pants. Athleisure.

London 2012. MMA, specifically UFC. Women’s football. Winning a World Cup penalty shootout and reaching a Semi-Final. Superhero and comic book flicks. Remakes, reboots and rehashes. Dubai, and the rise of the Middle East as sporting, entertainment and commerce centres. Onesies. Grey paint, grey cushions, grey sofas, grey everything. Small potted cacti. Apple products. Netflix. Public spending cuts. Big society. Food banks. Islamic terror. London street violence. Immigration.

The rise and rise of the Premier League. Manchester City, Leicester City. The relative decline of Manchester United and Fergie’s departure. The unstoppable rise of big tech- Amazon, Google, Facebook. Drones. SUVs and cross over vehicles. Hyundai and Kia becoming fully mainstream. Stock markets hitting all-time highs. The continued rise of China. Airbnb, Uber, Deliveroo. Disruptors. Blockchain. Crypto-currency. Tesla and SpaceX. The revival of interest in manned spaceflight and Mars.

Spotify, podcasts. The dominance of Lewis Hamilton. Ronaldo and Messi. Fitness trackers. British cycling. Wiggo. Veganism. 4G. Gin. Cloud computing. The decline of diesel. Awareness of plastic waste.

Think that’ll do…

AJ also.

Soldato
There will, naturally, be a thousand or so things that I've forgotten, don't worry! No matter how many I think of, there are always more that come to the fore once the post is made.

Associate
As others have said, the things that stand out for me are rampant social media and the death of truth. Politics has become a full blown circus - I haven't voted for anything in a good few years.

The good:
- gin being everywhere, lots to choose from
- craft beers, not just limited to Foster's and Carling etc
- real coffee (instead of instant) and coffee shops
- takeaway apps e.g. Just Eat
- table service apps e.g. Wetherspoons (good for the heard of hearing)
- the Internet of Things (IOT) e.g. smart central heating
- Internet Explorer (and Edge lol) no longer being relevant :p

The bad:

- the cancer that is identity politics
- social media influencers
- I'm having a bad day? Aww whazzups? PM me hun!
- politics have shifted either to the left and right. No middle middle ground any more
- false flag operations happening just before every general election
- everyone has less money, unless you're in the top 1%
- nightclubs only have cheese now. Proper dance venues are all closed

The ugly:

- every other person has autism
- every other person have become vegan
- TV has become less relevant
- pop-up ads are gone, but instead we have modal overlays
- web pages that says "waiting for Cloudflare, Cloudfront, Maxcdn etc... er errr clunk clunk... back to 56k speeds"
- we don't have decent memes any more like Hampsterdance. It's now either dank memes or a copy of a copy

Soldato
I think the memes from this decade have been fantastic, from rage comics' peak, to things like bed intruder, moth memes, doggos, white man blinking, distracted boyfriend and real housewives vs smudge the cat.
Bed intruder?
He's climbing through your windows snatching your people up? That one? That was amazing the schmoyoho song version, good remember sir!
I forgot about that and "I'm on a drug called Charlie sheen,it's not available if you try it once you will die, your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body"
Mazing

Associate
No we didn't, because both major parties are committed to Brexit, and both campaigned on a promise to deliver it. The election was not a second referendum on Brexit.

I didn’t mean it literally, but the fact is, if you didn’t want to leave the EU, you could have easily voted for a party that would have at least considered a second referendum, or even withdrawing from Brexit altogether. People did have those choices, but they chose the party that wanted to “get brexit done”. So my point stands.

Back
Top Bottom