Don't **** with cats: Hunting an Internet Killer

Soldato
I just watched all 3 episodes back to back. Absolutely glued to the screen! Wow. So chilling, and so sad as well with the kittens. Luka's attention to detail and the homages to his favourite movies in the horrific acts he carried out is just like the best scriptwriters think up for Hollywood movies, but you don't think that would really happen in real life murders, and yet it did.

One detail though that I'm not sure was explained? I've put it as a spoiler.

In the final episode, the mother calls Luka and he tells her to go back and watch the end of the "1 boy 2 kittens" video. So she does and then says "I saw someone else. The hands of Manny." And there is more than one pair of hands. So if Manny didn't exist, whose are the extra hands?

Soldato
I just watched all 3 episodes back to back. Absolutely glued to the screen! Wow. So chilling, and so sad as well with the kittens. Luka's attention to detail and the homages to his favourite movies in the horrific acts he carried out is just like the best scriptwriters think up for Hollywood movies, but you don't think that would really happen in real life murders, and yet it did.

One detail though that I'm not sure was explained? I've put it as a spoiler.

In the final episode, the mother calls Luka and he tells her to go back and watch the end of the "1 boy 2 kittens" video. So she does and then says "I saw someone else. The hands of Manny." And there is more than one pair of hands. So if Manny didn't exist, whose are the extra hands?

It wasn't really explained but perhaps they belonged to the snake owner.

Soldato
I remember the case back in 2013/14. I thought it was messed up back then! I had no idea he was the cat killer as well, and the attention to detail he went to with "Manny" and the nods to his favourite films. I cant comprehend the level of messed up you need to be to achieve this.

Soldato
I can only assume that someone this crazy wants the attention, because frankly what made me confused was how they even made the connection from nothing to Luka. As far as I can tell it was himself with a throw away FB account. He literally handed them the single biggest piece of information to get himself caught.

What baffles me is why lunatics like this find short term gratification from the chase only to be locked up for life.
No psycho ever thinks of the bigger picture.

Soldato
I don't think I could watch that, even though aspects of it interest/have me intrigued. I find animal cruelty too upsetting.

I am the same but using Netflix frame by frame forwarding you can easily just skip, say about 30s and it doesn't dilute the story. I just forwarded all the scenes when animal cruelty was shown.
Tbh it's not that disturbing, I was expecting a lot worse after the hype. If anything I'd say it was a bit drawn out and wasn't up to the hype. The commentary from the Internet Nerd from Vegas was particularly grating and frankly felt a lot like the way everyone gets way to excited when doing detective work in GD.

Soldato
I don't think I could watch that, even though aspects of it interest/have me intrigued. I find animal cruelty too upsetting.

Fortunately none of the actual acts are actually shown which I was happy about so there's nothing gratuitous. You do see the kittens before they cutaway from the video. That in itself is upsetting just because you know what's going to happen, but it's not too bad and you should try and watch the documentary if you can.

Caporegime
There is very very little shown of the actual cruelty thankfully, only the lead up, which in itself is obviously disturbing enough.

The commentary from the Internet Nerd from Vegas was particularly grating and frankly felt a lot like the way everyone gets way to excited when doing detective work in GD.
It felt nothing like that for me. Not sure how it could be said that she was 'too excited', given the gravity of what she was investigating!

Mildly annoying, yeah, but not for that reason.

Soldato
There is very very little shown of the actual cruelty thankfully, only the lead up, which in itself is obviously disturbing enough.

It felt nothing like that for me. Not sure how it could be said that she was 'too excited', given the gravity of what she was investigating!

Mildly annoying, yeah, but not for that reason.

I guess it was all the cringworthy comments on the Facebook group. They felt they were super slueths but what they actually found out was Jack ****. The only reason they had even an ounce of a chance of working out who it was, was because he sent them a message saying you need to take a look at this person.
The end of the doc was pathetic in what she said about implications.

It just seemed like she felt like she helped, when in fact they are probably the reason that guy died because they should have done more to inform authorities before, rather than after he did what he did.
People will disagree because they believe the police wouldn't investigate cats, and that they didn't have any solid evidence to hand them, which is exactly my point.
They were nothing but bystanders who felt they were soooo great, with no evidence other than what the killer gave them every step of the way.

I look at it 2 ways and I can't say which it is..

1- He started it because he's mental and was gonna do it anyway.

2- He started it to **** people off and it escalated because they created that group and he fed off their investigation.

She'll have to live with never knowing if it's #2

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess it was all the cringworthy comments on the Facebook group. They felt they were super slueths but what they actually found out was Jack ****. The only reason they had even an ounce of a chance of working out who it was, was because he sent them a message saying you need to take a look at this person.
The end of the doc was pathetic in what she said about implications.

It just seemed like she felt like she helped, when in fact they are probably the reason that guy died because they should have done more to inform authorities before, rather than after he did what he did.
People will disagree because they believe the police wouldn't investigate cats, and that they didn't have any solid evidence to hand them, which is exactly my point.
They were nothing but bystanders who felt they were soooo great, with no evidence other than what the killer gave them every step of the way.

I look at it 2 ways and I can't say which it is..

1- He started it because he's mental and was gonna do it anyway.

2- He started it to **** people off and it escalated because they created that group and he fed off their investigation.

She'll have to live with never knowing if it's #2

I agree with most of what you said. Although on this bit,

"they should have done more to inform authorities before, rather than after he did what he did."

They tried but they were pretty much ignored by the authorities until it was too late. It took for the dismembered body parts to be found in Montreal before things were taken seriously.

Permabanned
Was glad I watched it but hated the way it was edited, especially coming off the back of 'Free Solo'. As someone mentioned above, felt very 'American'. Also felt a little annoyed at the preachy tone towards the end. Them filming the best friend of the victim stating that it's shameful the killer will get more recognition after they've just spent 3 hours making a film about him... Then the women's spiel to the camera. It's like yeah I get it, but YOU'RE the ones making the film about it.

Soldato
Had no idea what to expect when I watched this the other night, was glued to it until the very end. I don't remember hearing anything about this back when it actually happened, I'd never even heard of the guy.
The series will probably inspire the next psychopath.

Soldato
Watched all 3 eps today, a very good watch.

They felt they were super slueths but what they actually found out was Jack ****.

This is what I didn't really get. As far as I could tell, they contributed nothing? For example, they must have spent ages tracking down the exact location of the photo on the steps... erm... and then did what with that information?

Soldato
The only questions I'm left with after watching is, who the snake handler was and what was the point in the cringe team "detectives" beyond being Luka's pawns and an attention faucet for him ? Oh and who the hell gets curious enough to open a suitcase with maggots crawling out of it ?

Back
Top Bottom