Worth upgrading ram?

Soldato
So I'm currently running 16gb of Gigabyte Aorus ram at 3200Mhz, the Samsung B-die kit and have some money to burn... will I see much of a performance difference in going to a higher speed on a 9900k? I'll be looking at going to 32gb so I've got all my slots populated if I go for it while prices are low...

Which kits are recommended?

Soldato
Don't waste your money...the benefits of faster RAM over 3000Mhz are tiny, as in completely imperceptible in actual use.

Sure you'll see a few extra points in certain benchmarks, but you'll only have the numbers to tell you it was actually faster.

...adding just an extra 100Mhz to your CPU and/or GPU will give you better returns on your money.

Soldato
do you need 32gb over the 16gb you have?

i

Well, my reasoning in getting 32GB was simple (when 16GB would have been enough)... it may not be needed now but I keep my PC's for 3-5yrs and it 'will' be needed eventually in that time frame and it may not be as cheap again. DDR4 RAM prices can & have doubled in only 3-6mths.

Get it while its cheap.

Associate
So I'm currently running 16gb of Gigabyte Aorus ram at 3200Mhz, the Samsung B-die kit and have some money to burn... will I see much of a performance difference in going to a higher speed on a 9900k? I'll be looking at going to 32gb so I've got all my slots populated if I go for it while prices are low...

Which kits are recommended?

I used a Corsair Dominator PC3200 32GB (2 x 16GB) kit in my 9900K build. Been very happy with it. I run a lot of VMs for development work, so needed the capacity. In Aida64, it's about 50GB/s speed; I'd imagine yours is similar.

Unless you need the extra ram capacity, I'd say just stick with what you have; any slight improvement in latency is unlikely to be noticeable in the real-world (and the 9900K isn't anywhere near as sensitive to memory speed as Ryzen.)

Save you pennies for a better graphics card (etc.) in the future.

Permabanned
Well, my reasoning in getting 32GB was simple (when 16GB would have been enough)... it may not be needed now but I keep my PC's for 3-5yrs and it 'will' be needed eventually in that time frame and it may not be as cheap again. DDR4 RAM prices can & have doubled in only 3-6mths.

Get it while its cheap.

Before 32gb is needed for gaming and daily used will we be on ddr5, it's not too fair away now this ddr5 will land

Back
Top Bottom