• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 or 5700?

Associate
Looking to upgrade my 980 and not sure which to get. I play on a 1440 monitor with the following spec:

3770k at 4.4
16gig RAM

5700 is currently £300 (With the gigabyte deal) and the 2070 is around £350 - Performance looks similar but Ive always been a Nvidia user partly because the drivers have been solid for me. I did use AMD a few years ago but returned as it was faulty.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my 980 and not sure which to get. I play on a 1440 monitor with the following spec:

3770k at 4.4
16gig RAM

5700 is currently £300 (With the gigabyte deal) and the 2070 is around £350 - Performance looks similar but Ive always been a Nvidia user partly because the drivers have been solid for me. I did use AMD a few years ago but returned as it was faulty.

Coming from the 980, as far as upgrade goes I think you really should be looking at at least 5700xt or 2070s instead, even if they do cost more.

Caporegime

3770k at 4.4
16gig RAM

gsync then get a 2070
freesync then 5700

Coming from the 980, as far as upgrade goes I think you really should be looking at at least 5700xt or 2070s instead, even if they do cost more.

the power difference between them is tiny. you are talking marginal for £100 more each. it's not worth it. you are talking 7% more power for £100. the 2070 is more than capable. the 2070 is also 57% faster on average compared to a 980.

jcr

jcr

Associate
i have a 5700xt and it seems to be unable to play ghost recon breakpoint at the moment. just causes pc to crash. had some graphics issues in the hunter call of he wild too. nvidia drivers may be more reliable.

Associate
Why? Because its only 4 core or the cpu is too old even at 4.4GHz? Or something else? I have the 3570k @ 4.4 with 16GB RAM and am curious and looking at upgrading from a GTX 1060 6GB.

Depends on the game but anything open world where plenty is going on is going to be seriously bottlenecked by a 4core 4 thread CPU. To the extent it'll be bottlenecking your 1060 right now for those titles. So let's say Hitman you might be getting 70fps when you're alone and then when 20-30 characters enter the shot you'll be dropping to 20fps due to the lack of CPU threads

I'd either go for a temporary I7 upgrade (which will still bottleneck but not as much and would be temporary) or build a Ryzen system before upgrading your GPU

I upgraded my 580 to a Vega and immediately realised I also needed a CPU upgrade. Actually initially I thought my Vega might be broken lol

Associate
There is an online bottleneck checker, when I checked my 2700k @ 4.6ghz (equivalent to a stock 4770k), my CPU would bottleneck a 5700 by about 16%

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Depends on the game but anything open world where plenty is going on is going to be seriously bottlenecked by a 4core 4 thread CPU. To the extent it'll be bottlenecking your 1060 right now for those titles. So let's say Hitman you might be getting 70fps when you're alone and then when 20-30 characters enter the shot you'll be dropping to 20fps due to the lack of CPU threads

I'd either go for a temporary I7 upgrade (which will still bottleneck but not as much and would be temporary) or build a Ryzen system before upgrading your GPU

I upgraded my 580 to a Vega and immediately realised I also needed a CPU upgrade. Actually initially I thought my Vega might be broken lol

Thanks for this. Does hyperthreading make much of a difference in real world terms? I'll google it but would be good to get your view.

Permabanned
Just ran the Bottleneck Tool, at stock says I am needing new CPU as over 20% Bottleneck but at CPU OC it it says all is good as only 9% bottleneck.

I did not add GPU OC and not sure it matters as at 1440p I am more about GPU so the OC helps and not sure due to Boost 3.0 what stock clock is and the CPU OC was easier to work out as 25%.

4970k @ 5GHZ

Titan Xp 2100mhz / 12+GHZ.

Associate
Thanks for this. Does hyperthreading make much of a difference in real world terms? I'll google it but would be good to get your view.

In some games little or no difference, in some huge differences. So Hitman, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Latest Assassin's creed games, Just Cause 3 or 4, Kingdom Come Deliverance will all have big performance hits

Your CPU is slightly slower with the same cores/threads as the 2200g

Another video done with a Vega (the problem is they don't show worst case scenario when shedloads of characters come on screen and it starts frame dropping)

As you can see the 2200g even bottles an RX580 compared to it's 8 thread sister which is also a quadcore

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks.

Where is the point of diminishing returns based on core count? Would I be safe with 6C/12T or would it be cost efficient to go for more such as 8C/16T or more?

You can pick up a Ryzen 2700 for £135. I have a 2600 which is £15 less (best price I've found). Today it won't have any slow down if your just running a game but if I have applications running in the background it does. Given the new consoles look like they're going to have 8 cores/16threads I think paying the extra £15 is well worth it.

In terms of game performance today the 3600 will be a bit quicker but your paying quite a bit more for it and I do wonder if you'll be glad you had the extra cores down the line with something a bit cheaper. Choice is yours

Caporegime
Thanks.

Where is the point of diminishing returns based on core count? Would I be safe with 6C/12T or would it be cost efficient to go for more such as 8C/16T or more?

For pureply gaming? 6c/12t is plenty atm, although with the newer gen consoles going 8c/16t this time next year then newer engines are going to probably take advange (but I think you'd be safe for a couple of years, I currently run 6c/6t and am fine).

Also I'd go 3000-series for gaming ahead of the 2000-series every day of the week, I tried a 2600x this time last year and was *not* impressed at all with it (I got an extra 20%+ easily by switching to a 8600k for instance). 3000-series fixes this somewhat.

Associate
You can pick up a Ryzen 2700 for £135. I have a 2600 which is £15 less (best price I've found). Today it won't have any slow down if your just running a game but if I have applications running in the background it does. Given the new consoles look like they're going to have 8 cores/16threads I think paying the extra £15 is well worth it.

In terms of game performance today the 3600 will be a bit quicker but your paying quite a bit more for it and I do wonder if you'll be glad you had the extra cores down the line with something a bit cheaper. Choice is yours

I would probably go for more cores due to other than gaming tasks. Thanks for the update.

For pureply gaming? 6c/12t is plenty atm, although with the newer gen consoles going 8c/16t this time next year then newer engines are going to probably take advange (but I think you'd be safe for a couple of years, I currently run 6c/6t and am fine).

Also I'd go 3000-series for gaming ahead of the 2000-series every day of the week, I tried a 2600x this time last year and was *not* impressed at all with it (I got an extra 20%+ easily by switching to a 8600k for instance). 3000-series fixes this somewhat.

Thanks. It makes sense to go for the latest.

Caporegime
Whats up with that bottleneck tool?
Says i need 64 GB of ram lol
Zotac 1070 Extreme spectra and 3700x
recommends a 2080 Ti,like i have that amount of money to spend :D

It is looking at the reverse, basically you are getting all you can from the 1070, but your cpu still has loads of headroom.

Generally, you need to look at bottlenecking from the other way around, is the cpu too slow to get the most out of the gpu.

Back
Top Bottom