My card number and expiry date printed on receipt

Soldato
The terminal provider would push updates for compliance. Wouldn't be reliant on the retailer.

They can try, but if there's an old terminal out there it might not update. It's not going to be widescale but honestly, the amount of money card processors spend trying to contact retailers about compliance issues, and there are always a hard core that don't answer the phone etc.

Permabanned
So they are a legit company then?

It looks like a legit company then they where possibly took over.

They can try, but if there's an old terminal out there it might not update. It's not going to be widescale but honestly, the amount of money card processors spend trying to contact retailers about compliance issues, and there are always a hard core that don't answer the phone etc.

This is exactly the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So to sum it all up because there’s conflicting replies it’s normal for a merchant copy to show all 16 digits and expiry date of a card and the customer copy only shows the last 4 digits but I didn’t get a customer copy because it was contactless I paid by?
It’s just the fact the restaurant was a dump and the guy asked for my card looked at it then handed it back just looked slightly odd in my opinion but if it’s normal for such details to show on business merchant receipts then I don’t need to worry about cancelling my card and getting a new one do I?

Permabanned
it’s normal for a merchant copy to show all 16 digits

A merchant copy can show it yes... so can any other receipt, but if a business wants to be PCI DSS Compliant. It's not against UK law to do so but (could come under data protection in UK law). For a business it would be wise to be PCI DSS compliant anyway.

If it makes you feel safe just order a new card and stop the other one then they wouldn't be able to take any money out at all.

You do realise contactless isn't secure at all? I actually can't even get over why cards are contactless these days for security. Boggles me.

Soldato
OP
A merchant copy can show it yes... so can any other receipt, but if a business wants to be PCI DSS Compliant. It's not against UK law to do so but (could come under data protection in UK law). For a business it would be wise to be PCI DSS compliant anyway.

If it makes you feel safe just order a new card and stop the other one then they wouldn't be able to take any money out at all.

You do realise contactless isn't secure at all? I actually can't even get over why cards are contactless these days for security. Boggles me.
Ok thanks for the info I appreciate it. I might just get a new card. Yes I have always been against contactless having seen several documentaries on how unsafe it is but when I got my new card I was told by the bank they now automatically just come with contactless so thought I would try it. Surely contactless is safer than putting your actual PIN number in with things like skimming etc in dodgy establishments especially with there only being a £30 limit?

Permabanned
Ok thanks for the info I appreciate it. I might just get a new card. Yes I have always been against contactless having seen several documentaries on how unsafe it is but when I got my new card I was told by the bank they now automatically just come with contactless so thought I would try it. Surely contactless is safer than putting your actual PIN number in with things like skimming etc in dodgy establishments especially with there only being a £30 limit?

With contactless there is no security when using it on a card. No authentication at all unless you have your cards on your phone and then don't carry your cards around with you - then you would require either the phone PIN or finger print or faceID. However, it's just a smaller amount that can be taken out at once. I believe now there is no cash back but that doesn't stop someone making different transactions from different locations but would more than likely get flagged up faster as fraud.

I stopped taking my cards with me and I now have them on my iphone, however if for any reason I don't have my mobile on me I can't use contactless where possible so it would make it a bit more secure.

I think the UK is testing finger print debit cards next. You would need to register your finger print to take any money out or to use them in a store. Not 100% sure how this is going to work but I heard they testing it now.

Last edited:
Soldato
The card issuers took all the risk on contactless, they'd normally have to refund any fraudulent transactions.

You should notice that you'll be prompted to enter your PIN more often these days though if you haven't "verified" you still have the card in your possession by either using a secure means or entering your PIN at an ATM.

They were basically losing too much money is my guess, I've been out the industry a couple of years but it was always going to cost a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom