Poll: VAR or No VAR?

VAR or no VAR?

• VAR - Correct decisions but delays and controversy

Votes: 90 55.6%
  • No VAR - Wrong decisions but no delays

Votes: 72 44.4%

• Total voters
Don
So everybody is complaining about VAR, lets see what Ocuk think. Do we want to keep VAR, get more decisions correct but have to put up with all the delays or do we want to go back to the old system, accepting that we'll be getting more wrong decisions?

Caporegime
Difficult Baz. I like VAR, but not the way it’s currently being used. It needs much more refinement, but it should stay.

We need the refs to use the pitch side monitors like they do in other competitions. I also like the idea of there being a grey area with offside decisions. That would bring it a bit more in line with the cricket umpire decision.

Soldato
Its a disgrace in its current form. It was meant to remove the controversy of referee decisions but has just replaced it by var decisions. They're just making it up as they go along

Don
We need the refs to use the pitch side monitors like they do in other competitions.

I keep hearing people say this, but why? The ref has a team looking at the 'side monitors', why slow things down even more with one guy, the ref, looking at countless angles of the decision.

I'm on the fence, mainly as I don't have the technology in my league. It is quite entertaining seeing celebrations etc only for the goal to be overturned. That Neto celebration for example was funny. I'd of course be furious if it was my team getting screwed over!

Sui

Sui

Soldato
On the whole, they're getting more right this season so I'm all for it, it should go to the on field ref to see the monitors though.

I think there needs to be some refinements to the offside rulings though, but I also don't know what they can change to make it less 'controversial'. Higher quality, higher FPS cameras?

Caporegime
I keep hearing people say this, but why? The ref has a team looking at the 'side monitors', why slow things down even more with one guy, the ref, looking at countless angles of the decision.
Because I think the final decision should be made by the referee. For me, the VAR team should be there to help the ref and alert him to potential errors, not make the decisions for him.

Don
Because I think the final decision should be made by the referee. For me, the VAR team should be there to help the ref and alert him to potential errors, not make the decisions for him.

Why though? They will just be as qualified as him to make the decision. We need to speed the process up, not slow it down. The countless decision makers at Stockley park should be making the decisions quicker and not annoying players and fans.

Caporegime
Why though? They will just be as qualified as him to make the decision. We need to speed the process up, not slow it down. The countless decision makers at Stockley park should be making the decisions quicker and not annoying players and fans.
The way I suggest was used during the World Cup and it was far more successful than the system we use in the PL. I don’t remember hearing any complaints at all about in the World Cup, everyone was singing it’s praises.

Don
The way I suggest was used during the World Cup and it was far more successful than the system we use in the PL. I don’t remember hearing any complaints at all about in the World Cup, everyone was singing it’s praises.

I don't really recall, I was getting very irritated in the women's world cup and the ref having to watch that monitor for 5 minutes to make a decision.

Soldato
I think offsides need to be less about being definitively onside or offside and more about is it clearly offside or not. If it's going to take 5 minutes and a maths degree to figure out if a strikers armpit hair is offside just give the goal. The fact that they're an inch in front of the defender when the ball is played isn't going to impact whether it was a goal or not 999/1000 times anyway.

As for goals don't bother looking at every single one of them in depth. Only take a proper look if one of the on-field officials think they saw an infraction but aren't 100% sure.

Don
OP
I think offsides need to be less about being definitively onside or offside and more about is it clearly offside or not. If it's going to take 5 minutes and a maths degree to figure out if a strikers armpit hair is offside just give the goal. The fact that they're an inch in front of the defender when the ball is played isn't going to impact whether it was a goal or not 999/1000 times anyway.

As for goals don't bother looking at every single one of them in depth. Only take a proper look if one of the on-field officials think they saw an infraction but aren't 100% sure.
What's 'clearly' offside? 10cm? 20cm? 50cm? There has to be a set margin or else you'll be getting inconsistent decisions so lets just say it's 20cm for arguments sake. We're still going to spend 5 minutes and need a maths degree to see whether somebody's armpit hair is 19.9cm on/offside or whether they're 20.1cm on/offside. So we're still going to have the exact same delays as before, just that we're going to move the line to a different position. The only difference to now would be we'd be getting fewer decisions correct.

I voted no var.

Caporegime
What's 'clearly' offside? 10cm? 20cm? 50cm? There has to be a set margin or else you'll be getting inconsistent decisions so lets just say it's 20cm for arguments sake. We're still going to spend 5 minutes and need a maths degree to see whether somebody's armpit hair is 19.9cm on/offside or whether they're 20.1cm on/offside. So we're still going to have the exact same delays as before, just that we're going to move the line to a different position. The only difference to now would be we'd be getting fewer decisions correct.

I voted no var.
That’s what I like about the grey area idea. From the last defenders foot there’s a grey area of a certain distance, and if you are within that and the linesman’s not given it, his decision stands. Beyond that, you’re offside and decision overturned.

Don
OP
That’s what I like about the grey area idea. From the last defenders foot there’s a grey area of a certain distance, and if you are within that and the linesman’s not given it, his decision stands. Beyond that, you’re offside and decision overturned.
So you want to go through all the same delays as now and then make the wrong decision? That's bonkers Rob.

Don
OP
It allows a margin of error, like a cricket DRS decision. It’s certainly not working atm.
It wouldn't be like DRS in cricket though. They use a margin of error when predicting the path of the ball. Whether somebody is on or offside isn't a prediction, it's a fact. If we're going to start delaying the game to measure whether somebody is 19cm offside or 21cm offside and still end up making the wrong decision then scrap var. You would be getting all the pain of VAR with no benefit at all. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Caporegime
It wouldn't be like DRS in cricket though. They use a margin of error when predicting the path of the ball. Whether somebody is on or offside isn't a prediction, it's a fact. If we're going to start delaying the game to measure whether somebody is 19cm offside or 21cm offside and still end up making the wrong decision then scrap var. You would be getting all the pain of VAR with no benefit at all. It makes no sense whatsoever.
We could go around the houses all night disagreeing on how it should be implemented. However, if no agreement can ever be made, maybe it’s better that it’s just scrapped. It’s a shame because it seems to work fine elsewhere. It’s just the PL where it seems to be a problem.

Maybe that shows more of a problem with our own game than it does VAR.

Don
OP
The exact same technology and decisions are being made abroad, the difference is other countries have got used to it. It would also appear that the PL's decision to show the lines, something that other countries don't do iinm, hasn't helped.

Soldato

I voted no var.
Offside is still offside, but if you can't look at a replay from a few different angles and ascertain within say 30 seconds that he's offside then don't bother calling it offside. They're football video assistant referees not scientists working on a life saving drug, it doesn't need to have perfect, indisputable calls every time so just sack off the whole line on the pitch part of it basically make it so linesmen have replays to look at and make a judgement call. It's not perfect, wrong calls are still going to be made and there will be inconsistencies, but it'll lead to less glaring mistakes like we used to have and we won't have to sit around for 5 minutes watching a guy in a van hundreds of miles away painstakingly fiddle with two lines on a pitch.

Back
Top Bottom