• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

bru

bru

Soldato
To be fair id say the image is a fairly good representation of what the differences look like to my eyes while they were sitting there in front of me perhaps ever so slightly exaggerated, also, I did take several from slightly different angles and all of them look like that image there. Again thought this is not scientific enough to be anything other than a bit of can you guess which image belongs to who.

Yup totally agree.

If I had to guess I would say Red team on the right and Green team on the left, only because that is the opposite of what I expect it to be, with the brighter yellow on the left.

As you say and quite correctly it is not scientific enough to anything other than a bit of fun, but of course it make for great discussion points.

Associate
Just looked again and the one on the left seems to have stronger yellow and red but the one on the right has stronger blue.
So no idea what's what.
Not that we would be able to tell just from the colours anyway.

Man of Honour
The colours look stronger on the left monitor, but don't blend as nicely. But how is it supposed to look? It's hard to tell as it's abstract and there is no reference point.

2 different machines and monitors too so there are other variables.

So on a monitor that's set up for photo work and correctly calibrated the best it can be for a fairly middling monitor:

Man of Honour
Not really, because in a game you can see when textures etc aren't as clear. It's meant to be as detailed as possible.

I just need to know what game shots really but if it's difficult to get consistency across anything at all on just a still image what chance do we have in any consistency in what is rendered in game. Honestly that difference in yellow saturation alone can hide and show details in different shots.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I just need to know what game shots really but if it's difficult to get consistency across anything at all on just a still image what chance do we have in any consistency in what is rendered in game. Honestly that difference in yellow saturation alone can hide and show details in different shots.
Whatever you pick, please make it a game from the past year or two. Not from 10+ years ago that these guys always like to use, which makes no sense :)

Anyway, the fact that the guys that do not stop banging on about how AMD image quality is much better do not even even want to make a guess says a lot :D

Man of Honour
Whatever you pick, please make it a game from the past year or two. Not from 10+ years ago that these guys always like to use, which makes no sense :)

Anyway, the fact that the guys that do not stop banging on about how AMD image quality is much better do not even even want to make a guess says a lot :D

PUBG, Rocket league and tarkov perhaps to get us started? I recon just max em both out and see what they look like in a still, neither machine is really capable of 4k gaming but screenshots at 10fps should give us something to talk about in a slightly more scientific way, I could even record swapping the monitor between machines. I'll do a side by side shot as well as screenshots and also ill do some side by sides on the same monitor. It wont be tonight but ill start installing some stuff on them.

Man of Honour
No, Crysis 3, Days of Infamy, Infra, F1 2019, F1 2018, CS: GO (as being eSports title), StarCraft 2, RDR2.

Of all those games I have only cs:go. Got some RE2 remake but crysis 3? I didn't even bother playing through the whole of the first game. How about project cars 2 or world war 3? I'm not going mad with this just a few titles in a few different places. It's not even like Im lacking in games there are 133 in my library with some recent ones.

Don't have rdr2 or outer worlds yet but they are on the list. I bought boneworks and some other VR titles to play with rather than some of the more traditional titles but red dead 2 is one I do want to play at some point. Just not on a laptop.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Of all those games I have only cs:go. Got some RE2 remake but crysis 3? I didn't even bother playing through the whole of the first game. How about project cars 2 or world war 3? I'm not going mad with this just a few titles in a few different places. It's not even like Im lacking in games there are 133 in my library with some recent ones.

Don't have rdr2 or outer worlds yet but they are on the list. I bought boneworks and some other VR titles to play with rather than some of the more traditional titles but red dead 2 is one I do want to play at some point. Just not on a laptop.

I am pretty sure there are free demos for download.

Man of Honour
I am pretty sure there are free demos for download.

But then they are no longer my real world examples and are more somebody's requested cherry picked same benchmarks every other person puts up. Which one is which by the way from the photo or shall we not go there yet? We should do some games before output to the same external I recon. Everything else as it comes out of the box.

Soldato
Tried looking for the original image and it looks more like the left image on my desktop (1080ti), my laptop (optimus 1060/intel) and on an ancient PC with ATI 5770. The 5770 looks slightly more saturated than the 1080ti on the same monitor even overly so but that could easily be due to my likely crap TN panel rather than a fault with colour outputs by the cards or because one was hdmi and one DP and I forget to check the colour temps etc :p

Soldato
But then they are no longer my real world examples and are more somebody's requested cherry picked same benchmarks every other person puts up. Which one is which by the way from the photo or shall we not go there yet? We should do some games before output to the same external I recon. Everything else as it comes out of the box.

If you really want to be scientific about it, you will have to calibrate the colours as best you can so both cards look the exact same on the monitor. If the colours, gamma etc aren't the same on both you will ruin your test. Also, in any games you pick you should disable any card specific enhancements, Like Hairworks for example. Also you should do one screenshot with AA off, and one using Super Sampling.

That's probably more work than you want to do though.

And this leads us back to using real world gaming to get your screen shots. It's going to be difficult to do. I would bet that there would be differences even if you just used one card and compared the screenshots at the same spot between two different reloads.

Permabanned
If you really want to be scientific about it, you will have to calibrate the colours as best you can so both cards look the exact same on the monitor. If the colours, gamma etc aren't the same on both you will ruin your test. Also, in any games you pick you should disable any card specific enhancements, Like Hairworks for example. Also you should do one screenshot with AA off, and one using Super Sampling.

That's probably more work than you want to do though.

And this leads us back to using real world gaming to get your screen shots. It's going to be difficult to do. I would bet that there would be differences even if you just used one card and compared the screenshots at the same spot between two different reloads.

You don't have to calibrate the monitors - run them as they are at default and compare the default images.
You can't calibrate the colours on a Radeon and on a GeForce to be exactly the same, there is no point in doing so, and likely you will fail because it is technically not possible with the current drivers.

Because the users will never calibrate their monitors, even I don't do it, in the best case will only choose between the preset Gamma 1, 2 or 3 maker options.

Permabanned
I need mister Magoo to tell me which is better because i cannot tell.:p

I get you. The point here is that some people may be sensitive to their monitors' outputs, for example I can not stand GeForce images, maybe only photos viewing is somewhat normal but reading news articles with their specific fonts, or playing games with that whitish fog and missing details, thanks but no ;)

Soldato
You don't have to calibrate the monitors - run them as they are at default and compare the default images.
You can't calibrate the colours on a Radeon and on a GeForce to be exactly the same, there is no point in doing so, and likely you will fail because it is technically not possible with the current drivers.

Because the users will never calibrate their monitors, even I don't do it, in the best case will only choose between the preset Gamma 1, 2 or 3 maker options.

How many times have I told you.

You don't know anything. You have no knowledge about the topic at hand. You go searching on google to find things that that make it look like Nvidia have bad image quality, but you don't understand the things you find, you just post them up because it makes you sound smart. Bringing up ASTC texture compression is an example. That's only used on mobile processors, yet you stated that Nvidia is using ASTC and that's why their image quality suffers. LOL That's like me saying my car is going slow because the flux capacitor isn't working.

That's just one example in a long list of examples where you have shown that you are willing to make up things to try prove your point.

Back
Top Bottom