• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Hi,

I've recently boutght a 5700xt and was wondering if there is a recommended driver? (have tried both 19.12.2 & .3)

Have'nt tried any games yet but when playing back any video files the driver seems to crash (black screen) and have to do a hard reset. For now I have disabled DXVA and all works ok.

Also is there any way of disabling the RGB on the Sapphire Nitro SE? ... I know you can buy (I guess Sapphire could'nt stretch to incl a rgb cable) a RGB cable and disable via software.

Have'nt tweaked any settings as still reading on what to change..

Associate
Better cooling doesn't fix the black screen issue though. When you go on AMD Forum (Graphics) and type in 5700XT Black Screen there are hundreds of threads regarding this issue all with different tips but not all work.

Any Undervolt I set stable or not I will always get a black screen which I have to power PC off manually. And that's from reference card to a nitro special edition 5700XT.

Associate
Im tempted to pick a 5700xt up but im stuck which to get.
Iv been looking around and it seems any is a good choice except the tuf the evoke or the thic ii.
So iv narrowed it down to these 3
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19f-pc.html £338.99

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35p-ms.html £349.99

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1b9-gi.html £375.00

Is it really worth the extra money for the others over the powercolor?
im after performance and im using a corsair air 540 case so airflow isn't an issue

Associate
Im tempted to pick a 5700xt up but im stuck which to get.
Iv been looking around and it seems any is a good choice except the tuf the evoke or the thic ii.
So iv narrowed it down to these 3

Is it really worth the extra money for the others over the powercolor?
im after performance and im using a corsair air 540 case so airflow isn't an issue

gigabyte is the only one worth getting out of those 3. The mech is just as poor as the evoke

in terms of actual performance as standard then the red devil is not worth the extra cash over the gigabyte. the RD cards do however tend to oc to the max on memory and cpu core.

Associate
Go to Settings -> Display -> Expand the Overrides -> Set Swing 1 and PreEmphasis 2. Restart.
And buy better cables.
Looked under Overrides but only option I see there is HDCP OPEN option. I have a Seasonic GM650 and Phantek Extension Cables.

a) If you are using PCIe 4.0 on any motherboard other than X570 you will have issues.
Ok I went into the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard BIOS and into PCI Subsystem and PCI_E1 was set to AUTO. What should this be changed to Gen 1, 2 or 3?
I also disabled A-XMP and GAMEBOOST (which was already disabled) to see if that helps.

b) TWW1 is a pile of crap on Ryzen CPUs. It tries to run on the last thread but never utilizes it. TWW2 uses last core-thread and is far superior. When playing this game (TWW1) turn off SMT with Ryzen Master, is the only solution.
How would I do this?

c) Use latest bios & chipset drivers. When you update BIOS you always have to update the chipset drivers.
When I built the PC I made sure his BIOS and Drivers were updated to the latest versions on motherboard website.

d) Which GPU drivers are you using?
Currently using 19.12.3 on Windows 10 64bit

e) Don't use MSI AB, especially with 19.12 drivers, as they aren't supported.
I dont have Afterburner installed.

f) Use AMD overlay (ALT+R or activate it by default) and observe your GPU. If it doesn't hit 98% at least, at high clocks (thermal depending) then you have CPU/RAM bottleneck.

g) If you plan to tweak the 5700/XT NEVER EVER raise the Power Limit from 0%. It just adds power-temperature.
At this moment the 85 degree temperature does not bother me until I get this card stable enough to play without black screening lol. Using all standard default settings for card.

Let us know how it goes.

Restarted computer, started up Fornite and loaded the Radeon Stats screen too. Stats looked ok but I was experiencing glitching during it (green artifacts and card is set to stock settings).
Running DDU and installing the latest 19.12.3 again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Restarted computer, started up Fornite and loaded the Radeon Stats screen too. Stats looked ok but I was experiencing glitching during it (green artifacts and card is set to stock settings).
Running DDU and installing the latest 19.12.3 again.

a) DP cable I am referring to. Also the settings are here
wMK6AEX.png

b) Gen 3

c) Latest chipset from AMD site ONLY! Go download it now and make sure AMD Balanced power profile is selected. (can go and explain about 1usmus but pay a visit at CPU section).
https://www.amd.com/en/support

d) I do not get 85C with the reference cooler on the 5700XT AE on sub 40% fan speed. Are you sure your fans spinning?

e) SMT you can turn off from BIOS or through Ryzen Master. It has the option there when you create profiles.

Last edited:
Soldato
a) If you are using PCIe 4.0 on any motherboard other than X570 you will have issues.

b) TWW1 is a pile of crap on Ryzen CPUs. It tries to run on the last thread but never utilizes it. TWW2 uses last core-thread and is far superior. When playing this game (TWW1) turn off SMT with Ryzen Master, is the only solution.

c) Use latest bios & chipset drivers. When you update BIOS you always have to update the chipset drivers.

d) Which GPU drivers are you using?

e) Don't use MSI AB, especially with 19.12 drivers, as they aren't supported.

f) Use AMD overlay (ALT+R or activate it by default) and observe your GPU. If it doesn't hit 98% at least, at high clocks (thermal depending) then you have CPU/RAM bottleneck.

g) If you plan to tweak the 5700/XT NEVER EVER raise the Power Limit from 0%. It just adds power-temperature.

Let us know how it goes.

Well updated bios and chipset ,drivers are the latest ones after cleaning old ones out and installing fresh.

If anything I seem to have taken a bit of a hit in performance now.

Doesn't appear to be a bottleneck

Maybe time to flog and get a 2070 super instead

Associate
a) DP cable I am referring to. Also the settings are here
wMK6AEX.png

Yes he was using HDMI cable so that's why he couldn't see it

b) Gen 3
I have changed this in the BIOS from AUTO to Gen3.

c) Latest chipset from AMD site ONLY! Go download it now and make sure AMD Balanced power profile is selected. (can go and explain about 1usmus but pay a visit at CPU section).
https://www.amd.com/en/support
I went to AMD site and downloaded the latest B450 chipset drivers/software. In terms of picking the AMD Balanced Power Profile I went into Power Options and changed it from High Performance to Ryzen Balanced.

d) I do not get 85C with the reference cooler on the 5700XT AE on sub 40% fan speed. Are you sure your fans spinning?
Fans are definitely spinning, at stock settings it will go to 85, with side panel removed 75-80.. If we undervolt the card we get these temps with panel on but for now I left stock to sort the black screen issue out.

e) SMT you can turn off from BIOS or through Ryzen Master. It has the option there when you create profiles.
Went into the BIOS, Overclocking, CPU Features, but there was no option for Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT) to be disabled.

Ok:

Since then I have ran a Tomb Raider benchmark on highest settings, no glitches and score of 16291 and average FPS 103.
I then ran Fornite on Epic Settings, jumping out the plane his stats were 80-120 FPS, GPU usage 75-95%, Temp 78 degree, then after a couple of mins it kicked him back to the desktop with an error saying: "Application Crash Detected - The application has crashed and will now close. We apologise for the inconvience."
Even tried opening Star Wars Fallen Jedi and you hear the audio but nothing on display apart form cursor, then the game just closes to desktop.

Going to do DDU again and install 19.7.5.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok:

Since then I have ran a Tomb Raider benchmark on highest settings, no glitches and score of 16291 and average FPS 103.
I then ran Fornite on Epic Settings, jumping out the plane his stats were 80-120 FPS, GPU usage 75-95%, Temp 78 degree, then after a couple of mins it kicked him back to the desktop with an error saying: "Application Crash Detected - The application has crashed and will now close. We apologise for the inconvience."
Even tried opening Star Wars Fallen Jedi and you hear the audio but nothing on display apart form cursor, then the game just closes to desktop.

Going to do DDU again and install 19.7.5.

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Ok after trying all the above settings to no fix we used DDU and then installed AMD 19.7.5.

Never changed any other settings and so far Star Wars has ran fine, and Fornite is still running as I type this.

So it has been confirmed that althought 19.12.3 works (even for myself with RX580) that they are clearly bugged with 5700XT.

I dont want to try updating drivers individually in case I hit one that causes issues again.

Main decision he has now is does he keep the 5700XT Mech (which runs hot "apparently meant to") with old drivers and "hope" AMD addresses this (which they haven't since Aug)
OR
Purchase a 5700 which doesnt seem to have the same issues that I can see for only £15-20 less.

I noticed RTX2060 has Freesync support but not sure if it does with his Samsung 144HZ monitor.

AND ..

Just as I posted this he tried launching Fortnite again and got a blue screen with STOP CODE: DRIVER IRQL NO LESS OR EQUAL
What Failed? - atikmdag.sys

This is turning into a complete joke! Will try 19.12.1 (already tested 19.12.2 & 3)

So far 19.12.1 is working fine, told my fried to bring PC to me and I will tweak and test a few things before we return the card.

Last edited:
Associate
My Powercolor rx5700 oc https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565845929 turned up yesterday but have been having some issues on the new drivers

battlefield 5 at 1920x1080 144hz is a complete dog and freesync is a no go constant driver crashes and black screens on minimising ect

when I lower it down to 60hz it runs 60-80 fps constant with all settings on max but clock is running low and gpu usages seem to be 1-60% I could live with this as the game is smooth as butter

95% of the time but doesnt seem right to me and not happy with the 5%

rolled back the drivers and this has made the game stable

weirdly it seems to run even better the more you crank everything up almost as if the card wants to be tricked into life

The good

on the otherhand with the newer drivers Division 2 runs 90 fps constant on ultra 95% gpu usage and looks stunning

compared to my r9-390 the fan noise is non existant and the power draw is less

every benchmark I have run its been working fine

its been a good 5-6 years since i bothered messing around with graphics cards as my 390 was such a good workhorse

Associate
I changed numerous settings and tried different variations last night, but the short version to get it working for me was:

Load default BIOS settings, and only thing I turned on was A-XMP.
I then used DDU to remove any drivers/software and installed 19.7.5. After this was installed I updated straight to 19.12.3 (via Radeon app not fresh install).

So far all my games have been running fine (apart from the 85 degree / 3000RPM fan speed)

Still hesitant that this is "stable" but I have my kid stress testing fortnite just now.

If it turns out there is no black screens etc I will lower the mV and MHz and see if we can find a decent 70-75 degree spot at full usage.
(I did find lowering just the mV by 100 to 1100 worked great in every game, except Fortnite!!)

Anyone have recommendations for this card to test undervolting?

What is also annoying is you removed the glass panel on the Phantek P350X and it drops to 75ish almost instant. I have fitted two extra fans onto this case for him aswell (2 intake front, 1 exhaust rear).

Is this case really that bad?

Last edited:
Associate
TL:DR - My sweet spot seems to be 1900MHz @ 1050mV. This gave me temps of around 75-77ish in game under load and so far no crashes.
Only main issue is when you restart PC the settings can revert sometimes. Any tips?

Been tweaking around with undervolting today, these were my results:

Stock (2019MHz @ 1200mV)

85degree / 3000RPM – Stable (3 Fornite games)

AutoUndervolt

82degree / 2800RPM – Stable (3 Fornite games)

2000MHZ

2000MHz @ 1100mV

Not tested yet but can see temps going into the 80's

2000MHz @ 1080mV

Crashed 5mins into Fornite game

2000MHz @ 1050mV

Crashes

1950MHZ

1950Mhz @ 1050mV

76degree / 2500RPM

1950MHz @ 1025mV

Crashes 5min in

1900MHZ

1900MHZ @ 1050mV (with Custom Fan Curves)

77degree / 2100RPM

1900MHz @ 1050mV

73degree / 2400RPM

1900Mhz @ 1000mV

Crashed 10min in (72deg / 2300RPM)

1800MHZ

1800MHz @ 950mV

70degree / 2100RPM – Stable (2 Fortnite games)

Associate
gone back to 19.12.1

division about 60fps
fifa 180-190 will try it in battlefield single player think all my issues come from multi player

it seems to have a life of its own

Associate
After spending all day getting it stable and underclocking to a reasonable temp, and tested each game for a good 6 hours working fine.

I gave it back to him and he sent a message saying fortnite is crashing again.

The only difference from the setup I had and his is my monitor was 60HZ without freesync and his is 144hz with freesync.

I told him to try disabling Freesync and drop his refresh rate down to see if that fixes it.

If it does then the 5700XT is getting returned.

Does anyone know if the 5700 suffers the same issues? Or should I just drop to a RX590?

Back
Top Bottom