Ableism

Caporegime
It's not a trivial matter, it's literally the birth of thought police in this country. Literally. With the actual, real police getting more and more involved with "none-crime incidents", and actual, verifiable reports of police turning up to give people lectures about "their attitude on social media", a bit like you are doing now.

PC is all about controlling thoughts, and making un-PC thoughts a cause for unleashing the attack dogs.

I'm afraid my attitude towards @Burnsey is as a result of him being an "SJW" in every, single dealing I've ever had with him on this forum. It's because I have a functioning memory. And I know which posters have the power to be a threat to free thought in this country, because they seek to replace free thought with thought conformity. Disguised as being empathetic or virtuous. Disguised as being for social justice. It's nothing of the sort.

Soldato
I'm noticing signs by disabled parking saying that a disability may not be visible.

Fairly sure that being a lazy selfish **** still doesn't count though.

Isn't that because some busy-body chumps have a go at some diabled folk for parking in a disabled space, even though they have a disabled badge on display, just because "they don't even have a limp" etc?

Edit: Like this story about a prosthetic leg wearing Afghanistan veteran...

Mr Brighouse said he has been berated several times by people who assume he is not disabled, even though he has a disabled badge. He said: ‘It is one of those things that you get used to. ‘It has happened probably 20 or 30 times in the past with people leaving notes on my car or giving me abuse in person.’

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/01/war-...ing-disabled-bay-even-though-one-leg-7354008/

Last edited:
Soldato
Ableism has been a meme on twitter for years. Championed by the usual get offended on everyone else's behalf brigade.

Twitter is a ******* toilet.

Social media is a toilet to be honest. It’s a classic example of what happens when you give any old moron a voice. As a race we are nowhere near responsible enough to be trusted with such a powerful tool.

Caporegime
It's not a trivial matter, it's literally the birth of thought police in this country. Literally. With the actual, real police getting more and more involved with "none-crime incidents", and actual, verifiable reports of police turning up to give people lectures about "their attitude on social media", a bit like you are doing now.

Or maybe we just understand these things better, like when we used to stick the 'crazys' in mental asylums instead of helping them. Why do you really have such a problem with advocacy for rights for disabled people etc?

Able bodied people take SO MANY things for granted in ways people don't understand.

Caporegime
Why do you really have such a problem with advocacy for rights for disabled people etc?
/yawn

The kind of "advocates" we are talking about are the morons on social media that spout nonsense in their echo chambers to "out-woke" each other.

That's not useful advocacy.

If someone followed me round to shout "check your able-bodied privilege" everywhere I went, that's not useful advocacy. Most of them just post memes and sob into their cornflakes, then plaster their themselves in their smeared make-up all over social media.

It's shallow, it's useless; it's the modern world.

Ask how many of them give up their time to volunteer or participate in community projects to help build disabled facilities. Probably very few.

It's not just Twitter. The internet itself went down the toilet when Web 1.0 became Web 2.0.

I say this as a disabled person myself.
Completely agree.

Soldato

I'm not lecturing you, I just think you're being rather unpleasant, and it's not exactly going to encourage people who might even agree with you on certain aspects (of policing for example, since you've mentioned it) to engage in the first place if you're so quick on the attack.

Caporegime
I'm not lecturing you, I just think you're being rather unpleasant, and it's not exactly going to encourage people who might even agree with you on certain aspects (of policing for example, since you've mentioned it) to engage in the first place if you're so quick on the attack.
I don't hide my feelings for select posters. I'd rather be honest with people and people be honest with me, than pretend to like people I really don't.

Caporegime
Ask them yourselves.

There's cretins in any sort of movement, doesn't invalidate the whole argument.
This thread is mainly about social media tho if you read the OP. Most if not all of social media is vacuous nonsense.

I don't personally see social media as a good tool for genuine advocacy. Most of it is rubbish. Probably insincere rubbish at that.

Caporegime
This thread is mainly about social media tho if you read the OP. Most if not all of social media is vacuous nonsense.

I don't personally see social media as a good tool for genuine advocacy. Most of it is rubbish. Probably insincere rubbish at that.

Yes and no, I've changed my mind on a few things due to well presented facts and ideas on twitter. There's a lot of noise, and idiots generally make themselves heard through how much they shout and the sheer numbers.

Soldato
Indeed, with the positive, understanding attitude towards them displayed on this forum its hard to believe some people might have become frustrated with the lack of compassion and understanding exhibited by the public at large and railed against it...

I agree with @FoxEye, you actually need to qualify statements like this with some actual evidence, no one has said anything that lacks compassion or understanding towards disabled people. Actually this post is making a sweeping negative generalisation that's simply inaccurate.

Soldato
Until someone becomes disabled, they really have no idea how hard life is.Even the simplest things are a complete ballache on occasion.
Should people just pretend the disabled don't exist?

Back
Top Bottom