Laptop screen has stopped working??

Soldato
Per the title, one minute my Gigabyte laptop was working fine and then when I went back to it a little later the display has just gone black!?!? (I assumed the screen saver had kicked in but moving the mouse and pressing keys did nothing!)

No reason as far as I can tell and I've tried the various "FN" keys that control the brightness and volume etc and I can't get anything to display on it - even during the boot?

I can power down by holding the on/off button and the same button produces an LED light and I can hear a fan whirring but other than that nothing works???

Anyone got any ideas??

Associate
firstly plug into an external monitor or tv , do you get an image ?

Secondly try shining a very bright light on the screen , can you see an image now ? if yes the back light has failed , if no and you can get an image on an external screen then it's possibly a screen cable fault.

Soldato
Could be backlight as said, there's an inverter also but I think you can usually see some image if that goes, although dark, could be wrong there though.

Soldato
OP
firstly plug into an external monitor or tv , do you get an image ?

Secondly try shining a very bright light on the screen , can you see an image now ? if yes the back light has failed , if no and you can get an image on an external screen then it's possibly a screen cable fault.

Could be backlight as said, there's an inverter also but I think you can usually see some image if that goes, although dark, could be wrong there though.

Thanks for the replies - I've tried using an external display with no joy by either VGA or HDMI!

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue because no other keys seem to work either!

There is a button combination that should eject the optical drive but nothing works!

Soldato
Thanks for the replies - I've tried using an external display with no joy by either VGA or HDMI!

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue because no other keys seem to work either!

There is a button combination that should eject the optical drive but nothing works!

You may have to activate the external monitor with a function key such as FN + F3, the combo will depend on your laptop.

Soldato
OP
Could be faulty ram, try taking a stick out and making sure they're seated well

Tried that too - there are 2 sticks of RAM and I've tried both and either stick in either slot - still nothing!

I've removed the connection to the battery and held the power button down and tried booting back up while plugged in - still makes no difference! (and I've tried disconnecting the CMOS battery!)

Soldato
Try taking out all drives unplug any peripherals. Other than that sounds like a gpu or mobo issue. Maybe pickup a second hand mobo.

Back
Top Bottom