• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Brand New 5700 - Drivers Causing Non-paged BSOD?

Soldato
Is this common? Google is giving me varying results from 5770 days, through to present day. I can see a few folk mentioning a copy paste of a .sys file into system32 but then counter points that this isn't ideal.

Seems to happen 80% of the time when re-booting. Stable in game however.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Soldato
Is this common? Google is giving me varying results from 5770 days, through to present day. I can see a few folk mentioning a copy paste of a .sys file into system32 but then counter points that this isn't ideal.

Seems to happen 80% of the time when re-booting. Stable in game however.

Any ideas?

Thanks

a) Whats your PSU and the rest of your system?
b) What drivers do you use?
c) Did you used DDU before those drivers?
d) Are you referring to UE4 based games?

Drivers won't cause no page BSOD. So you either have issue with PSU or other part of your but system but more info needed

Soldato
OP
Answering your questions first:
1. Corsair CX650M - this is new(ish).
2. The latest from the ATI website: 19.12.2
3. Yes - infact, the first BSOD was after running DDU and being left with no drivers. I ran this in Safe Mode.
4. Battlefield V pretty exclusively.

I don't have a great deal of load on the PSU - i7 4790k, 4x 8gb RAM, 1x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 256GB SSD.

Everything was rock-solid up until replacing the GPU.

Soldato
3. Yes - infact, the first BSOD was after running DDU and being left with no drivers. I ran this in Safe Mode.

I don't have a great deal of load on the PSU - i7 4790k, 4x 8gb RAM, 1x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 256GB SSD.

If you had crash without the driver in safe mode I would advice you do a clean windows installation first and make sure you run 2 separate cables from the PSU without splitters.

Soldato
As Mentioned already, make sure you power the card with 2 seperate lines of PCIe cables from the PSU and don't use 1 cable with a splitter at the end. This was one of the most common issues resulting in black screens and BSODs with VEGA and I wouldn't be surprised if the trend continues. At least it should be an easy and free thing to cross of the list when troubleshooting the issue.

Soldato
OP
As Mentioned already, make sure you power the card with 2 seperate lines of PCIe cables from the PSU and don't use 1 cable with a splitter at the end. This was one of the most common issues resulting in black screens and BSODs with VEGA and I wouldn't be surprised if the trend continues. At least it should be an easy and free thing to cross of the list when troubleshooting the issue.
I am away from home at the moment - and this is a million dollar question -

Will I have another GPU cable in the box my PSU came in?:)

Soldato
OP
I am away from home at the moment - and this is a million dollar question -

Will I have another GPU cable in the box my PSU came in?:)

So I do have a second GPU cable which I have attached. I thought this had solved all of my issues, however on reboot I received a "Kmode Exception Not Handled".

Am I chasing a PSU problem (650w Corsair, less than year old with very few peripherals) or bad drivers? Do ATI still have Catalyst community drivers?

Caporegime
So I do have a second GPU cable which I have attached. I thought this had solved all of my issues, however on reboot I received a "Kmode Exception Not Handled".

Am I chasing a PSU problem (650w Corsair, less than year old with very few peripherals) or bad drivers? Do ATI still have Catalyst community drivers?

"Kmode Exception Not Handled", is a driver problem.

If you have Fast Startp enabled, try disabling it.

Soldato
OP
Right, reporting back -

I musn't have reinstalled Windows since a Windows 7 Pro installation about 8 years ago, so the legacy of whatever was there seemed to be triggering some driver issues post-graphics card change. I've since added a second 8pin power cable (hygiene I suppose?) and a new 1TB M.2 SSD - total fresh install of Windows and I am so far so good.

Thanks for the help, all.

Edit: Also, just an opportunity to declare love for progress. I remember when I reinstall was an afternoon job - post Media Creation Tool, swapping disc out - I was about 20 mins and done. OneDrive meant no backups required...Apps all re-downloaded on 100mb.

Feels like we are living in the future!

Soldato

The latest driver is actually 19.12.3 which is more stable than 19.12.2.

Back
Top Bottom