Old Gmail account weirdness..

Soldato
I remembered last night that whilst at uni (2007/2008) I had set up a second gmail account for uni work....never used it and forgot all about until last night. Remember the address for it and set about with forgotten password reset and the account was linked to my Hotmail (that I still use) and i used this recover the Gmail address.
Not weird I know, but then I logged into the gmail account to find emails from Instagram and it turns out that guy who owns a guitar shop in Singapore has opened an Instagram account using my old and obsolete Gmail.....Anyone know how has this happened as it was still tied to my Hotmail for recovery purposes ??

Soldato
Had this with my Gmail account, someone in the US had it linked to their Amazon account.

I actually called the person and asked them to change it, it took them 3 years to do this. Their name was similar to mine so I could understand the mistake.

I actually carried out a password reset as I thought someone had taken over mine.

Last edited:
Associate
Some guy kept using my Virgin Media email (came with the setup, don't think I've ever used it) on his Epic games account.

Randomly checked it one day, saw a lot of stuff from Epic, so did a password reset and went 2FA.

It's now my Epic Games account. Sadly, he hadn't got round to buying anything... :(

Soldato
OP
Some guy kept using my Virgin Media email (came with the setup, don't think I've ever used it) on his Epic games account.

Randomly checked it one day, saw a lot of stuff from Epic, so did a password reset and went 2FA.

It's now my Epic Games account. Sadly, he hadn't got round to buying anything... :(

I may have acquired the person Instagram account....not been used since may last year but I found his shop on Facebook and it's very much active on there..

Soldato
I have several (!) people in the US who keep using my address for things due to not understanding that when they open an account they need to use their actual address rather than the address they wanted but didn't get. I have initial+surname, they actually have intial+middle initial+surname.

I've had everything; banking, insurance, medical, shopping, online dating ... normally contact the company concerned and have them remove my address (quickest response is medical normally due to HIPAA, slowest was an online dating site where in the end I used the fact it had been opened against my email to just close the account).

Soldato
OP
I have several (!) people in the US who keep using my address for things due to not understanding that when they open an account they need to use their actual address rather than the address they wanted but didn't get. I have initial+surname, they actually have intial+middle initial+surname.

I've had everything; banking, insurance, medical, shopping, online dating ... normally contact the company concerned and have them remove my address (quickest response is medical normally due to HIPAA, slowest was an online dating site where in the end I used the fact it had been opened against my email to just close the account).

I would have thought to actually open an insta account, he would have needed access to the email address to confirm his account??
There's nothing else in the inbox and the email address is rather long-winded and not something you could use by accident/mistake

Permabanned
I would have thought to actually open an insta account, he would have needed access to the email address to confirm his account??
There's nothing else in the inbox and the email address is rather long-winded and not something you could use by accident/mistake

Back in the days you never required to verify accounts. Just put your email address in and you can use Instagram. Verification process changed over the years.

Associate
Have had a similar issues for years.

I have a Gmail account, and every year I get emails from JetBlue in regards to flights bookings which have just made. At first I thought it was a phishing attempt, but I've logged in a few times, and it's a genuine booking portal where I can view/change all info on the flights.

Associate

I have a Gmail account, and every year I get emails from JetBlue in regards to flights bookings which have just made. At first I thought it was a phishing attempt, but I've logged in a few times, and it's a genuine booking portal where I can view/change all info on the flights.

Oh that's almost too good to be true... I could have a field day there.

Barbados? Nahhh. Phnom Penh. That's where you're going my son...!

EDIT Presumably not the destination

Soldato
OP

I had similar on my normal Gmail as it's pretty much just my name. Had some guys from Australia asking for my CV to go work on an oil rig...I kindly let them know that they had the one person but I was keen for the job if they would take me on with no experience and we exchanged a few funny emails and that was that...but this email address is that obscure that it just made me wonder what we going on..

Soldato

This, i have a fairy common name and I have had gmail since almost the start and address is my name. I get emails for all sorts.

Ive had someone’s expenses, people responding to CVs and employment agencies, quotes for work, family photos from holidays and the resulting group email conversation, confirmation of donations to Hilary Clinton’s presidential campaign. They all had all sorts of personal details in them, it doesn’t take much to build a comprehensive picture...

I’m currently getting emails about some kids college applications. You really do have to wonder how people get on if they can’t even type/write their own address.

Associate
Same same, someone is using my email minus the "." or with the . in different places.
I'm now getting requests from the Director of Pastoral Care to organise the parish meetings in New Jersy, some mobile rpg game I was able to log into where apparently I had a blinging cloak because everyone was asking me to trade for much gold and a quote for a new car in Winconsin...
I've had the account since gmail was born.

Soldato

I have this exact same issue, I've had my gmail account since it was the times of sharing invites, so I got initial+surname for a moderately common surname. I've had loads of banking emails, hotel bookings and all sorts come through. I've tracked down a few of the serial offenders on Facebook and sent them messages, but usually they don't reply.

It shocks me though, that so many US financial organisations (banks, credit card companies) let you set up accounts without confirmation. I get so much personal info, including people being chased for payments and how much they owe etc.

Soldato
Same same, someone is using my email minus the "." or with the . in different places.
I've had the account since gmail was born.

Maybe they've mixed up @gmail/@hotmail or something.
Gmail doesn't actually care about dots in your email address:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
All these addresses are the same. Handy if you need to use a different email address for something without having to create a new email account.

Soldato
Maybe they've mixed up @gmail/@hotmail or something.
Gmail doesn't actually care about dots in your email address:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
All these addresses are the same. Handy if you need to use a different email address for something without having to create a new email account.
I use things like [email protected] for registering on sites, everything after the + can be changed and still come to your main address. It's a good way of tracking who has given out your email address!

Associate
I also had something similar happen.

A guy in the states linked his electricity account to my email, this meant I was getting daily emails (sometimes more!) about him hitting his electricity limit.

I contacted the company about 3 times, nothing happened, then I mentioned GDPR in the final message I sent them and the emails stopped - funny how a large fine can force a company's hand eh :)

Back
Top Bottom