*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Having a bit of a shuffle with my APs and putting the NanoHDs back.

I have 3 and to ensure the 5GHz channels don’t “overlap”, what’s the best to set them to? The scanner shows the area is clean, for what it’s worth. Currently using VHT80, channels 36, 40 and 48. They’re pretty equidistant to each other.
I’ll play about with the cell ‘size’ as well.

Soldato
I like the CCS vertical entry ones. Two or four RJ45’s in a single-gang sized faceplate. You can use a back box if you want, but they’re designed to screw straight onto the wall. The cables go in from below so there’s nothing sticking out to catch the vacuum cleaner on.

if the Ethernet was routed around the outside of the house, would he drill through and put the cable straight through the wall into the back of that box? So in theory you should only see the box on the wall and the cable plugged into it (that was patched into my switch)?

Soldato
if the Ethernet was routed around the outside of the house, would he drill through and put the cable straight through the wall into the back of that box? So in theory you should only see the box on the wall and the cable plugged into it (that was patched into my switch)?

Correct. On the outside of the hole there would be a round surface-mount box, then some trunking (20mm round trunking?) to another round surface mount box where you want the other box to be. All you would see on the inside would be the CCS box. No cables would be visible inside or out.

Soldato
And don’t run just one cable. Run at least two. Four would be best. You’re only paying pennies per meter for cable and the 4 port box is £3 more than the 2-port box. The expensive thing is having the guy on site. It takes the same time to drill a 4 cable hole as a 2 cable hole and the same time to fit 25mm conduit rather than 20mm conduit, so it will cost about £20 extra to have 4 ports rather than 2.

Soldato
And don’t run just one cable. Run at least two. Four would be best. You’re only paying pennies per meter for cable and the 4 port box is £3 more than the 2-port box. The expensive thing is having the guy on site. It takes the same time to drill a 4 cable hole as a 2 cable hole and the same time to fit 25mm conduit rather than 20mm conduit, so it will cost about £20 extra to have 4 ports rather than 2.

I was planning on two - was only planning on having the cable visible on the outside - or are you saying he would trunk the entire cable run? Not sure I like the look of trunking on the outside.

Soldato
He’s always trunked the whole thing for me (but I always have cameras and I don’t want anyone cutting or chewing through the cables). You’d probably have to agree what colour cable you wanted if you didn’t want trunking as I always get purple BT cable!

Soldato
He’s always trunked the whole thing for me (but I always have cameras and I don’t want anyone cutting or chewing through the cables). You’d probably have to agree what colour cable you wanted if you didn’t want trunking as I always get purple BT cable!

Ah - will probably just go with black. Will drop him a text.

Man of Honour
Since I've got rid of my servers I now have more room in the 19" rack so I moved the USG and 10Gbit switch into it. Still needs a little more work as I think I have screwed up some connections on the patch panel.

CUjvHpt.jpg

Soldato
Make sure it's external grade cable too, especially so if you're not trunking. Internal grade (Inc purple stuff) is usually internal only and the sheath will degrade in the elements.

I get the purple cable from Cable Monkey which comes in a BT branded box and it’s definitely external grade (although not armoured/suitable for burial without trunking).

Associate
I normally use Ubiquiti UK distributors/master resellers as per the list on the Ubiquiti site.

As OcUK sell some Ubiquiti kit I won't say which ones, but I've used three so far and all have been fine with sales and customer service although I've never tried to cancel an order (just a few DOA and in warranty failures).

Thanks, I have now purchased via an alternative distributor online.

Associate
Let it play out, then return the unwanted item(s) under DSR. As far as I can see, almost no-one has stock of the UDM.

I managed to find stock online via a UK distributor, but it is not official stockist however, seems a very reliable website with returns support should it be required. Ubiquiti Europe support was awful, cancelled all orders via them and cancelled the UPS delivery. Would recommend customers only purchase via UK distributors only, and run a mile from buying anything directly from Ubiquiti - this would be my personal recommendation based on the experience I’ve had.

Soldato
Since I've got rid of my servers I now have more room in the 19" rack so I moved the USG and 10Gbit switch into it. Still needs a little more work as I think I have screwed up some connections on the patch panel.

CUjvHpt.jpg

From the look of the picture your incoming WAN1 and outgoing LAN1 both go into the network patch panel so unless you’ve got another switch somewhere, you’ll get no routing from the USG-4P.

Associate
UDM coming tomorrow now.

On a side note, I’ve seen lots of people lean towards the nanohd access point in comparison to the pro access point. Is the nanohd the way to go?

Man of Honour
From the look of the picture your incoming WAN1 and outgoing LAN1 both go into the network patch panel so unless you’ve got another switch somewhere, you’ll get no routing from the USG-4P.
There's a patch at the back of the panel to keep things tidy, it's either that or use a 1M cable.

Soldato
Morning gents!

My US-8-60W is showing a "downgrade" button current 4.0.69.10871 can downgrade to 4.0.66.10832 I'm not doing anything as its stable unless someone say otherwise (with a backup before hand as I have already learnt @WJA69 :D)

EDIT: Just took my micro SD out of the cloud key and popped it in my W10 laptop and it wants me to format the card again? I did this after I messed up the cloud key firmware update can't see how to set this up going from a Windows machine to the Cloud Key?

Last edited:
Associate
Morning gents!

My US-8-60W is showing a "downgrade" button current 4.0.69.10871 can downgrade to 4.0.66.10832 I'm not doing anything as its stable unless someone say otherwise (with a backup before hand as I have already learnt @WJA69 :D)
Mine all show the same since I updated to the 5.12.35 controller and upgraded them. They're all working just fine so I'm not going to downgrade them (2x24-PoE-250w, 3x8-PoE-150w).

Back
Top Bottom